Poll

Do you think skill is based more on Intelligence or Reflexes?

Intelligence by Far52%52% - 241
Reflexes like Jet Lee47%47% - 221
Total: 462
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6665|NT, like Mick Dundee

Reflexes and experience... BF2 can be learned to play by rote for most situations.

Just play Silver if you can drag him away from WoW.... Awesome reflexes + awesome rego = massive scores and inflated K/D on IO servers.

Same applies to gene, Fenris, Jestar and a few others on the AU crew. Only it's a different mix of reflexes/experience/intelligence... Most of it's experience/reflex based though.

Then there is R3v, Gen.Raven and I. We just do stupid shit, act like clowns and make asses of ourselves. Hilarious tbh but not good for stats/rep. Examples include the jihad bh/cow (3 men, 15+ packs of c4, 1 chopper and 1 target...), pimp cane!, SAMURAAAAAAIIIII SQUAD! and Raven and I being "ninjas"... Rofl.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6710|Sweden
Intelligence sounds like you have to be an genius to play with time you get experience and the "right" decisions will sit in your spine. i have to go with reflexes.
General Breetai
+23|6555
Neither is true. You don't need intelligence to play an ego-shooter, even under tactic assumptions. What you need is experience. Nearly everybody who plays the game has a typical learning curve. But neither intelligence nor reflexes improve over such a short period (this takes years, if not decades). Experience does. After some time you simply know where to be, when to flee and when to press the attack. You know where to spawn, how to spot a tactic, how this weapon works out, where the blind spot of the enemy is. This is just normal learning.

Reflexes can help, but are strongly dependent on hand-eye coordination. There is no use in reacting fast but lacking the ability to aim at your enemy in the same short amount of time. Someone else might not have the fast reaction, but once he reacts, needs almost no time to center his gun on your head.

All in all, don't give too much about you ability to play a game. Being a good Battlefield player says almost nothing about your intelligence but a big deal about your spare time and your occupation.
ssonrats
+221|6645
Intelligence, reflexes are important yes, but the guy using his brain will find some cover quickly so the reflexes become unimportant.
ethrion
+25|6393|Hong Kong @ the moment
Its not so clear cut as that TBH. Sometimes it all comes down to reaction time, others has to do with outsmarting the opponent. There have also been plenty of moments when sheer dumb luck has won the day for me/my foe. Reflexes in the most part however, play a massive part in BF2.
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6650|Keyboard

PvtStPoK wrote:

nulled

need both to be good
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
If you have intelligence then you won't end up in situations were you need to have super fast reflexes.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6551|Scotland
Most people rely on none of those, but on a G36E... but i voted Reflex
LG-MindBullets
+10|6721|Kirkland, WA
You really can't have one without the other and manage to be good, but each has its own advantages in specific situations. On infantry only maps I think that the twitch factor and reflexes is more important, but for vehicle maps intelligence is of greater importance because reflexes alone won't allow you to power through a mobile repair factory or avoid 6 AT guys hunting you down if you're in a vehicle.

Personally, I find that my greatest advantage is being able to out-wit my opponents in a variety of situations. A large part of being able to out-wit your opponents however is based on experience. That said, I still tend to out-think many opponents with hundreds or even thousands of more hours experience than myself since I'm constantly re-evaluating my tactics and trying to think several steps ahead of the opposition.

I also work in 3d applications on video games all day so my visual-spatial skills are constantly being tested even when I'm not playing BF2.
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6492|Land of Cotton
I'm sure one of you has already covered this, but let's get philosophical.

Know yourself and know your enemy and you will never lose. Art of War-Sun Tzu

Therefore, intelligence is the default because you can adjust everything based on that.
im_in_heaven
+27|6587
thread made me chuckle. Skill isnt playing a computer game lol. Computer games and reflexes lol. just chuckled again.
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6558|Hungary
As Bf2 is not a real FPS game like css or ut..you need to think how to fuck up the otehrs you know what i mean with this
TigerXtrm
Death by Indecency
+51|6368|Netherlands

Im_Dooomed wrote:

This poll will be with GRAPHICS AND COMPUTER SPEED BESIDE THE POINT

I've played many games where I got easy kills from a person who had no clue where he was getting shot from, or guys who bunny hopped directly at me and also having people jump off of buildings and parachute all the way down while I shot at them. I've also had times where I have been out smarted...

I've had games where the moment I saw a guy he got the bead on me before I could. Or I got jihad jeeped by a buggy who came around a corner and blew up my tank before I really noticed what was about to happen and get a shot off. 

I asked myself, are there more stupid people out there then skilled people? Then I thought, Is skill based on Reflexes rather then Intelligence?"

I really did not have an answer, so I decided to get everyones opinion in this following thread. Notice I say EVERYONES opinion! If you got something to contribute please do.

If you think its neither and want to null vote please stop to think back on your many games played, and ask yourself:

"Did that guy outsmart me? Or was he faster then me?"

Moderators please note: I request this thread stay in BF2 Section and not be moved to Polls!
Skill is, by definition, the ability to do something that not everyone can do just like that. For that reason there is no skill in jihading because anyone can strap C4 on a cart and drive it into a tank. Strapping C4 to a cart, driving it of a ledge and hitting the tank that's driving underneath it while surving it yourself, that's skill.
In 1 to 1 fights that also applies. Anyone can duck down and pull the trigger hoping to hit something. Seeking cover, estimating your enemies behavior and acting on it by dodging the grenade that comes flying around the corner and then taking the guy out while he's distracted, that's skill.

But for both those examples you need to be smart and have good reflexes, so yes you need both in this case.

Tiger
ReTox
+100|6499|State of RETOXification
Non sequitur.

A skill implies intelligence gained over time without the necessity for reflexes.  I can be a skilled commander and not fire a shot.  I can, and often do, cap flags without firing a shot or even having the other team know I was there.

During engagements though I would still go with intelligence over reflexes for the dominant trait of skill and by a large margin.  A skilled player aims for the head a reflexive usually aims for the centre mass.  Many skilled players will also take fire for a bit if it means they get a headshot by actually aiming.

Now Intelligence versus Dexterity would be a different matter all together.
JaggedPanther
+61|6473
Intellegence.

I get most of my kills from estimating where the enemy will be next, but that's just my opinion. My test account has way better ratio's so it might become my main.

Reflexes are part of conditioning and everyone goes through that
SamFisher199
Airwhore
+40|6313|Netherlands
Both
IonYou
+3|6633

Fredrik wrote:

PvtStPoK wrote:

nulled

need both to be good
yes, combination.

I`ve noticed that the kids (13-19) usually are quicker in the reflexes than the old guys, and if they know their weapon they can be really good in one on one. While i have to depend on uav, sneak around and shoot people in the back...
Wouldn't it be great to have a match of bf2s members on teams of old vs young? You could have 13-19yr olds on one team and 20 and up on the other team, and see who wins. Teens vs. oldfarts. I wonder who will win? reflexes or smarts.

As for the OPs question I think its a combination of both but I'm not sure which one is more important. Also are you asking about 1 kill or a whole match? Theres a lot more to think about to win a match than just "get more kills".
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6618|InGerLand
intelligence normally, i lag far too much to say about reflexes
though i love the way if someone does have a particularly clever trick they will normally leave a huge whoping great weakness thats easily exploitible for example a sniper who has found a few good spots close together and is relocating between them keeping themself alive will normally not have noticed that its quite easy to sneak up on said spots by a meandering route and dispose of the sniper via a variety of means
Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6370|Stealth on Grand Bazaar

General Breetai wrote:

Neither is true. You don't need intelligence to play an ego-shooter, even under tactic assumptions. What you need is experience. Nearly everybody who plays the game has a typical learning curve. But neither intelligence nor reflexes improve over such a short period (this takes years, if not decades). Experience does. After some time you simply know where to be, when to flee and when to press the attack. You know where to spawn, how to spot a tactic, how this weapon works out, where the blind spot of the enemy is. This is just normal learning.

Reflexes can help, but are strongly dependent on hand-eye coordination. There is no use in reacting fast but lacking the ability to aim at your enemy in the same short amount of time. Someone else might not have the fast reaction, but once he reacts, needs almost no time to center his gun on your head.

All in all, don't give too much about you ability to play a game. Being a good Battlefield player says almost nothing about your intelligence but a big deal about your spare time and your occupation.
Experience? I know 3 star Generals who aren't as good as 1st Lieutenants. Experience does nothing if u dont have the intelligence to learn from it. Intelligence got me to learn about playing to a kits strengths along with experience on that kit. They go hand in hand.

Good BF2 players also don't play it 24/7. Its a combo of agility and intelligence. It applies to everthing in life. Whether it be in a military situation or avoiding getting arrested.
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6590|Reisterstown, MD

Your ability to kill someone is based on three things: Your connection, your computer, your ability to click the mouse faster than someone else.
SamFisher199
Airwhore
+40|6313|Netherlands

killer21 wrote:

Your ability to kill someone is based on three things: Your connection, your computer, your ability to click the mouse faster than someone else.
Lol, my connection sucks, my pc sucks, so i must have good reflexes
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6590|Reisterstown, MD

SamFisher199 wrote:

Lol, my connection sucks, my pc sucks, so i must have good reflexes
No, you don't.
Dr_3V|L
+51|6725|Twente, The Netherlands
Intelligence. Using the environment to your advantage (i.e. placing yourself behind spawns) seems to be more effective than trying to take a flag and getting naded.

Agility / reflexes come in 2nd place - even in 1v1 battles intelligence niptly loses from reflexes.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6270

BeerzGod wrote:

Null vote.

I don't think either one outweighs the other because you simply can't have just one of these attributes and be "good"... you could be average or mediocre, but that's it. You must have a good combination of both to truely be a "skilled" player. But out of the two I would say intelligence is far more important. Having quick reflexes is good, but if you know the maps, know how to work with a squad, learn player habits, etc. etc. then you won't often be in situations where reflexes save your ass.
I agree. I was going to say reflexes, because there have been many occasions on Karkand where its been down to who can go prone and fire first, but after reading that, i.. Actually. Dunno.

Does 'knowledge of the maps and the game' count as intelligence, or is it seperate? Because that wins IMO.

I know i got outsmarted yesterday. I was on Warlord and a Colonel killed me near the mosque, so i spawned there and look around for him. Couldnt find him anywhere. So i start to wander out into the open and he lept out from behind a wall and got me. So i spawned again and i spawned right in front of him, and he was looking to my left. So i thought ''ah great! i can get him back with the good ol' shock paddles .''

However i was about a meter away when he turned back and fired his G36E into my face.

By the time i'd spawned again he'd actually left that flag on neutral and run off to the palace.

So yeah, outsmarted. I was left feeling quite the fool afterwards.

So, um, yeah, knowing the maps and game wins. And knowing how to outsmart shock paddle wielding fools helps too.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6653
intelligence and reflexes.. a player with only those would be crap. Silly nubcakes.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard