psH
Banned
+217|6405|Sydney
That is what is happening in both my legs. It is called Osgood schlatters osteo-condritis
THIS is what is causing me to become a computer addict, and i want it to stop.

Recently ive been spending too much time on a computer, i hardly go out with mates, and my grades are slowly eroding, i have a math tutor every wednesday, and when it happens i have a massive urge to retreat back to my computer, i dont enjoy things as much anymore, and it hurts to walk and move around, thats even making me less active.

I was going to start playing soccer again, as i am quite good at it. The doctorb said it was okay for me to play sport, as there would be no permanent damage, but even though i can, it still hurts, they suggested taking panadol/nurofen, that didnt work at all.

Now i feel like i am stuck behind a computer for the rest of my life. I dont enjoy things that much anymore, the only things i feel important and enjoyful to me are computing, gaming, movies, and soccer (which i cant play)

The reason im making a thread about this is i need help and suggestions from other for what i should do instead, things to take up that i enjoy..

(and who better to ask than the members of Bf2s!)
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6571|CH/BR - in UK

Holy crap, you have it too! My brother has it, my dad has it - it runs in the family.

-konfusion

edit: yes, I have lots of borthers - damned typos

Last edited by konfusion (2007-05-07 09:11:11)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6550|Global Command
Learn to play guitar.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6728|67.222.138.85
I had that, but I could still run around for a couple hour s and it would only start hurting once I cooled down. It might have hurt a little at the end, but if I kept it warm it was okay. Mine went away in about 15 months, how long has this been going on?
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6463|Stealth City, UK
I've had this for a very long time, doesn't hurt but it aches after long periods of running, like a football match.

You're going to have to try and do something or else someones going to end up like this.......

https://ambernight.org/Pictures/south_park_wow.jpg
UNDIESRULES
+4|6702
I this a real diagnosis or just what you reckon?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6737
Hit the gym and work on upper body.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6473|Cambridge, UK

I had it bad as a kid (still have some issues)... luckily only had to have 1 operation. Then spent my time doing no sport, falling down stairs, and on the computer.... but I've spent most my adult life getting good money doing programming and stuff.... so maybe it helped me out... but yes it is/was a bummer as a kid.
tiptopT
+72|6603|Scotland's Capital
Dude, i have that as well and when i was younger my parents always stopped me doing lots of sport.  IIRC i had/have Severs Disease and Tendinitis aroun my heels and calves.  I used to go to hospital and get physio every week (massage/heat treatment etc).  My calves were and to a point still are very sore after exercise.  I was told "by 16 it will be away", then "it will go by the time your 18".  I got so fed up in high school i just thought "Fuck it" i love my rugby too much to give it up.  So i played on, through the pain and i think thats helped me with it today, as its not that bad (im probably just used to the pain so dont pick up on it).

I would HIGHLY recommend sport (i still play rugby, box and gym 3-5 times a week) but look after yourself, stretch properly before and after exercise and before bed every night in between (helps with strength and suppleness).  Also go get physio, massages, accupuncture etc dont let this be a barrier to you.  Im so glad I played through the pain as i have had some of the best times of my life away on rugby tours.

Find something your good at and throw youself into it.  If you think negatively then no matter what you do youll think its shit. Do something you love and love what you do.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6768|The United Center
I had that.

I played hockey anyway.  Yeah, it hurt like a bitch, but you just learn to play through the pain.  With time it goes away.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6495|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

buLLet_t00th wrote:

I've had this for a very long time, doesn't hurt but it aches after long periods of running, like a football match.

You're going to have to try and do something or else someones going to end up like this.......

http://ambernight.org/Pictures/south_park_wow.jpg
My friend is VERY VERY similar too that, but 2 months ago me and my mates all went round and dragged his sorry ass out of his chair and played football for hours on end and now its a regular thing.
BTW he a WOW addict for sure but we are sloooowly dragging him off it
psH
Banned
+217|6405|Sydney

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Im 14 years old and im not supposed to be going to the gym until ive comlpetly grown (as i am very small for my age), im quite unfit and it hurts to run around.

And LOL i wont turn into the guy in the south park wow ep
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6582
But the disease only affects your leg(s), no?
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6591|United States
I think you need some poontang.
BVC
+325|6716
Get some small weights you can lift with one hand etc, and use them between map loads in BF2
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6592|USA

Doms wrote:

That is what is happening in both my legs. It is called Osgood schlatters osteo-condritis

Recently ive been spending too much time on a computer, i hardly go out with mates, and my grades are slowly eroding, i have a math tutor every wednesday, and when it happens i have a massive urge to retreat back to my computer, i dont enjoy things as much anymore, and it hurts to walk and move around, thats even making me less active.

I was going to start playing soccer again, as i am quite good at it. The doctorb said it was okay for me to play sport, as there would be no permanent damage, but even though i can, it still hurts, they suggested taking panadol/nurofen, that didnt work at all.
get out there and do it. i suffer from the same, and i have the condition (calcification) happening to both of my hips too. the more active you are the better it gets. just gotta push through the misery for a little bit and it will feel better. i'm still an avid cross country and track runner.

you won't be stuck behind a PC your whole life; when your growth plates seal it goes away.

anyways, for you knees they have a little strap thing you can wear. i don't know how it works but it does work, and thats the key.

remember, the disease only controls your life as much as you want it to. its hard, but you gotta be strong and you gotta push through the hurt.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6723|Little Rock, Arkansas

Doms wrote:

Now i feel like i am stuck behind a computer for the rest of my life. I dont enjoy things that much anymore, the only things i feel important and enjoyful to me are computing, gaming, movies, and soccer (which i cant play)

The reason im making a thread about this is i need help and suggestions from other for what i should do instead, things to take up that i enjoy..

(and who better to ask than the members of Bf2s!)
Dude, go out and play. It makes life better.

So, when I was 16, I snapped my femur in an indoor soccer match. I was in a cast for 3 months, and in rehab for another 6 months after that. It was bad, and one of the long lasting results was my development of the disease that you have. There is a good way to treat it:

http://www.supportsusa.com/knee/cho-pat/dual.htm

This thing works wonders. You can do the same thing with tape, but this doesn't pull out your leg hair, and is comfortable. It, along with NSAIDS, lets me do whatever I want.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6737

Doms wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Im 14 years old and im not supposed to be going to the gym until ive comlpetly grown (as i am very small for my age), im quite unfit and it hurts to run around.

And LOL i wont turn into the guy in the south park wow ep
Do light weights, don't go heavy.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6592|USA
doms at this point it seems like you want sympathy, not help, and that you're unconcerned with fixing your condition.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard