Bernadictus
+1,055|6728

Ok, since today I am officially reinstated by Schuss after my 'incidents' a while ago I want to make use of the opportunity to speak. I have some great ideas and I am interested in your view of them, and history is not repeating itself this time: I am open to discussion, more then I was before.

European Time

As we may have noticed, we have some slight issues with the 2142 server regarding it's occupation.
During daytimes, this is not a surprise because many folks living in the EU are either at work or at school.
And those with the spare time (or lack of both occupations mentioned above) will probably own their own server and not bother to play on some public where they have no control.

A solution to this problem is not at hand, nor will it be easy to come up with. I spent many hours on planning how to get a server full, but at least we aren't the only ones with this issue a lot of Euro servers suffer from the same lack of players.

Our main focus however is, and as it should be, the afternoon/evening/night. This is the moment that Europe starts to play on their servers. Still, getting the server filled up at 15 Pm is a hell of a job, and starters may be idling for more than half an our to get players into the server. Yet many disconnect and find another server.

Also I noticed a trend of down falling numbers of Berlin/Gibraltar servers and an increase in vehicle rich maps.
This might be temporary but it is a trend which can be followed.
So the possible list of solutions to the lacking interest in our 2142 server:

More and divers map rotations

We have a pretty static map rotation, so it is almost predictable when the disconnects start to occur.
As to be mentioned in the point below, new players have a different need than the more battle experienced veterans on 2142. And hell, I would love to not know what map is up next, it keeps the game more exciting.

Less infantry and more vehicles

Many new players buy this game because of the vehicles. They chose the game over CoD or CS:S/DoD because the game has vehicles. That is a fact. The battlefield franchise is not famous for it's great infantry system, at least not to new players. Maps like Gibraltar and Berlin have a restricted number of armor for both sides. This basically means that your are either on foot, or you got lucky and got a piece of hardware.
Now as a new player I would choice a map which has the most hardware, thus the bigger chance of getting to pilot some.

And off course: we hate it when someone crashes the walker in under 30 seconds on a map like Gibraltar, but as said; our server is open to everyone and every level off skill.

Better auto balancing

We need work out how to shuffle teams after each rounds. For way too many rounds most of us BF2s guys stacked into one team which by now is clear to me to be a very strong scarecrow to people.
I admit, I did the same, but we should work something out on controlling this. Keeping the teams shuffled gives each player new chances every round.
Being on the losing team for 15 rounds in a row is a strong motivator for pressing 'Disconnect'

Promote BF2s and/or it's successor

Maybe make some virals? Some YouTube movies or some graphics that can be spread around?
Haven't really thought this on out yet.

Joint Venture

We might want to look into a construction like BF2s/KNTL ; BF2 server.
Possible candidates could be GAMERT or badHQ or [Insert clan here].
This will influence a lot of players. We have the stats, GAMERT has the players and connections to the Dutch 2142 scene (which is in the TOP 10 of countries, as I recall).

That is all, for now

If you wish to discuss my views, or add your own to mine, don't hesitate to contact me! (Im open to everything)

Xfire : Bernadictus
MSN: [email protected]
Email: [email protected] (<private mail, don't abuse it, or else )
iChat/AIM: [email protected]
Yahoo!: [email protected]
Hallvard
+262|6513|North Norway

You have some pretty good ideas and I agree to most, if not all that you said there
I haven't been playing to much 2142 lately, I re-discovered sniping in bf2 and I also find PR kinda fun... and now... I gave in and bought Lord of the Rings Online Many days in a row with idling server for a very, very long time kinda made me tired of 2142

but I'll try my best to get back to trying to get the server started...

I would love more vehicle maps as I prefer big maps where I can either snipe or drive around in tank/walker.
I've also tought about the balance issue, and as I often get stuck on the loosing team against an almost pure BF2s + clans I know how tempting the disconnect button gets.
Promotion movie or graphics...  I don't know
And maybe  we should keep the joining forces with other community/clan idea as a last resort.. the bf2 server was dead for a very long time before KNTL helped us...
Mike<Eagle23>
BF2sEU old school admin - I don't care who you are
+359|6719|Germany

My view on the 2142 server:
once it gets started, it keeps running for quite a long time. We can discuss a lot about people leaving, but thats ridiculous as long as we don't have people on the server.
We just need people to start the server, but thats the problem. Nothing else.
Changing the map cycle and doesn't help as long as the server is empty. (not a bad idea though)
[Part removed.]

Last edited by Mike<Eagle23> (2007-05-03 15:29:46)

Hallvard
+262|6513|North Norway

Well.. I think we should atleast try a different map rotation on Gibraltar it often ends with 4 people on server then a 5th joins, he jumps into walker and strarts raping everyone the 3 other people leave and then the raper leave... and the BF2s guy sits back and get's extremely bored...
Mike<Eagle23>
+359|6719|Germany

hm, thats true...
we should also have titan days
Hallvard
+262|6513|North Norway

titan sucks.... but a lot of people like it
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6701|Sweden
Sounds interesting and i agree with a new map-rotation although the starting map will most likey have to be Gibraltar/Cerbere/Tunis it attracts the numbers for the larger maps Suez and Minsk are prolly the most popular choices ( my personal too.. )

I have´nt played as much as i used too lately mostly cause of personal business that has to be taken care off and my worktimes sucks reealy big time with nights, afternoons, days, weekends etc. so i´m playing all kinds of hours when i can.

Edit: Ye imbalanced teams can really ruin the game completely could try to take more personal responsibiltiy and change ourselfes as well when it occurs ( aint that the only thing we can do )

Good initative though i´ll try to give myself a kick in the sack and idle more.

Last edited by madmurre (2007-05-03 16:33:38)

gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6663|The Real World

I agree with most of what you said. I think Camp G is always a problem when it has just started 4 V 4 but it does fill up quickly. I tried to think of other fairer starting maps in the current cycle and most have some issues to get the server started.

We should vary the maps more if that's what people want but as others have said it does not matter what maps we run if the server is empty.

We need to take more responsibility for getting the server started but also need to keep the issue of balance in mind. We have in the past kept the teams balanced if games are one sided and ended up with some very good matches that way but on other occasions the games can be very one sided and their are not enough of us to be able to balance the sides.

One of the things we always seem to ignore is that we have a 2142 section and maybe we should ask or poll some opinions from there not just from the less visited server forum.

Welcome back Bernie.
zeidmaan
+234|6406|Vienna

The global ranking system of BF2/2142 makes it very hard to make a popular server.

Also its true that its intimidating when someone joins the server and sees that other side has bunch of clanmates. When I played 2142 I often encountered that on EU server. I usually joined the opposing side but even with my moderate skill and score I end up loosing almost every round. That alone can get people frustrated and make them leave.
So you should either agree to split up and join both teams or you should loose the [BF2s] tag and play incognito. You know each other I believe and you get on teamspeak when you play.

And preferably command as much as possible. That will make people remember the server, if you command properly of course.

ps. I didnt know that vehicle maps are finally becoming popular, I might install it again.
Negerkungen
I could not care less
+541|6733|Topside

Mike<Eagle23> wrote:

hm, thats true...
we should also have titan days
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6460

zeidmaan wrote:

The global ranking system of BF2/2142 makes it very hard to make a popular server.

Also its true that its intimidating when someone joins the server and sees that other side has bunch of clanmates. When I played 2142 I often encountered that on EU server. I usually joined the opposing side but even with my moderate skill and score I end up loosing almost every round. That alone can get people frustrated and make them leave.
So you should either agree to split up and join both teams or you should loose the [BF2s] tag and play incognito. You know each other I believe and you get on teamspeak when you play.

And preferably command as much as possible. That will make people remember the server, if you command properly of course.

ps. I didnt know that vehicle maps are finally becoming popular, I might install it again.
I don't think that getting rid of tags would solve anything if the teams remain unbalanced. It might take longer for people to notice that the enemy team is superior, but they will notice and then leave. IMO the only option is to split up.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Mike<Eagle23>
+359|6719|Germany

But still...
We have no problem with people leaving, we have a problem with people not joining.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard