Lexington1971
+1|6681
I tried searching for this problem and found nothing... but it's kinda difficult to describe.

I recently upgraded to a new PC (Core Duo 6700/Vista Home 32/Asus P5W Deluxe/2GB Corsair/Radeon 1950X). BF2142 v1.20 works fine (under XP compatibilty mode as administrator). However, there's an odd bug where I often get returned to desktop.

It usually happens when I'm in BFHQ looking at my awards. Sometimes I click on a tab or a medal or a scrollbar, and the computer switches out of the game and to the desktop -- almost as if I had clicked "through" BF2142 and onto the desktop. I can just switch back to BF2142, and it recovers fine -- and I can click on the original place and it won't return me to the desktop. So it's an annoyance rather than a showstopper, but it seems to happen pretty much every time I run the game.

Occasionally I'll get as far as loading a map and getting the "Join Game" button. If I click on this and it switches to desktop, when I switch back BF2142 will hang and I'll have to kill BF and restart.

Anyone else come across this one?

PS. I have a dual monitor setup... which used to work fine with my old PC but I guess it could be related. BF2142  plays in the main monitor, with Windows sidebar and an empty desktop in the secondary. Quitting Sidebar doesn't stop the problem.

Thanks for any help.
Lexington1971
+1|6681
Uh, read my post. BF2142 DOESN"T CRASH, it just puts me back to desktop. This kind of instability is not the kind of thing that's going to be caused by RAM voltage -- almost certainly software configuration rather than hardware.

Frankly, I'd rather have this annoyance than have to reinstall the OS... just not worth it. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else has experienced this behavior.

rdx-fx wrote:

1) up RAM voltage to 2.0 (if you have >2GB of memory installed, or a 2GB stick by itself, on an i965/975 system)
2) get rid of the craptastic EA link version of BF2142, and get a DVD version
3) remove any creative labs product (SB X-Fi) and reload OS.. make sure to install the MS UAA update before installing any sound or video drivers.

The PACE anti-piracy on the EA Link version is a guaranteed crash-o-matic (on WinXP 64 bit, at least).
Poorly coded crap, installs a kernel-mode driver that interferes with any directx or opengl game.
Craptastic spyware junk that's just this side of the Sony DRM root-kit for intrusiveness..
(I know this through my own research, not because i read it on a forum or google..)

After doing those 3 things, plus some other minor fixes, my new system hasn't crashed once. YMMV
l=l-Oneill-l=l
+27|6844|Dundas, ONT, Canada
Does Any one who got vista has a problem of memory lost after new map is being loading? After a round is over and I don't have to change sides, my game becomes unresponsive. I have to close game and restart it all over. If any one has a solution to this problem please help.

Last edited by l=l-Oneill-l=l (2007-04-30 06:22:00)

jamiet757
+138|6629
I'm having a similar problem, after I uninstalled and reinstalled to try to fix a problem where 2142 would just freeze up my whole computer after playing for a little bit, I can't get it to open.  I uninstalled, restarted, cleaned registry with registry mechanic, restarted, installed 2142, restarted, installed 1.25 (also tried installing 1.20 first, then 1.25) then installed NS, then patched 1.25 again since it says Update is Available.  After all is said and done, I restart, wait for things to load, click the icon, the screen goes black and goes to full screen and I can see BF2142.exe on the taskbar, then suddenly returns to the desktop, 2142 is not running.  Happens everytime, and it is getting old fast.  I have tried everything, and don't know what the problem is.  Can someone help me?

PS, after uninstalling, I deleted both game folders, including the one in My docs
jamiet757
+138|6629
I just tried installing only the game, no patches, no booster packs, just the game and it still won't load
Breez
AKA: badhq
+937|6639|Derby, England

jamiet757 wrote:

I just tried installing only the game, no patches, no booster packs, just the game and it still won't load
When u say it wont load what does it do exacly ? does it open up black box and crach or what ? can u post more info please?
Wildbill100372
+1|6692
I, too, am having the same problem.

I get the desktop start screen (the one with the Walker), the screen flickers to all black like it's going to start, then it returns to the desktop. No error message whatsoever. I reinstalled from the DVD and reinstalled the full 1.25 patch. Same problem.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6230|Escea

I sometimes experience the same problem but with a different reason, not sure if its what you're getting. My Norton brings up security alerts and returns me to the desktop, but sometimes doesn't actually show the alert message. Are you running Norton?
Volatile
+252|6712|Sextupling in Empire

I tried to play 2142 today and I'm now getting the same problem, even with norton disabled. WTF, I just played the game 3 days ago without any issues.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard