Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6551|UK

Mmmm k see I think my neibourgh is stealing my wireless connection, I am getting slower speeds and while I was mucking around with my laptop (which I cant actually get online cause its just a hunk of shit) I made a wireless connection called test and forgot to password protect it (yes I am that stupid). 

So I have two questions:

Can I view how many devices are using my wireless connection and how do I do that?

And

How do I delete connections, I have about 5 of which I was playing around trying things to get it going and I now want rid of them.

Thanks in advance

Martyn
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6577
If you look on you wireless router it may have an IP, which gets you into the routers settings. Just enter it on IE or Firefox. It may also have the default user name and password on it. Then set a security option like WEP (Hexidecimal codes). With it setup you may then need to input the code into all connecting devices.

I expect someone can re-write what I said, many times better.
Jameseyy
Banned
+108|6230|Scotland!
Before you get a WEP I would screenshot the evidence that someone's leeching wireless, print it off, post it through the offender's door with a note informing them that they are assholes. Then I'd probably piss through their letterbox

But yeah, put  a WEP on your router, that should sort it.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6551|UK

How do I delete networks I no longer want running?

Martyn
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6354|uk

just click one them, and press the delete button on your keyboard.

(you might need to disable some of them first (right click, disable)

and about your question about seeing what devices are connected to your router..... what router do you have?- you can do it, but you need to go into the routers settings to view it.

Last edited by Titch2349 (2007-04-26 10:12:08)

CLEVERLITTLETROJAN
I killed you,you just don't know it yet
+18|6616|birmingham,uk
If you was from the UK you could have him sent to jail for that. I seen in the paper a couple of days ago some dude got 1 and a half years for stealing wi-fi from someones house on his laptop.

Last edited by CLEVERLITTLETROJAN (2007-04-26 10:20:12)

Mad Ad
+178|6512|England, UK
Noooo dont use wep ffs ....wep has been cracked already, its trivial to gain access to wep nodes now, use WPA2 (or WPA on an older router) with a long password, thats still *almost* secure....you can do stuff like mac filtering and turn broadcast off if you want but it makes no odds, neither are effective if someone really wants in but if it makes you feel more secure, stick it on.

Easy places you may find other machines is my network places or control panel/network connections but if hes deliberately going under the wire then you may need to look deeper into your connections (netstat) or ultimately a sniffer (program) but more likely its just some twonk with a laptop that has no idea what hes doing, he may even have his own access point hopelessly setup thinking its going through his own, either way, switching on WPA2 will put a stop to it.

good hunting

Last edited by Mad Ad (2007-04-26 16:37:43)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6551|UK

Titch2349 wrote:

just click one them, and press the delete button on your keyboard.

(you might need to disable some of them first (right click, disable)

and about your question about seeing what devices are connected to your router..... what router do you have?- you can do it, but you need to go into the routers settings to view it.
Cant right click and disable, it isnt actually an option bizzare enough or perhaps I am just a total noob.  This goes back to the problem I am having of getting online with the laptop atall (here is a previous post I made).  Laptop is on Vista home premium and desktop is on XP home.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=69897

Aol's tech support tell me they dont support vista wireless yet...........

Thanks anyone karma for ur guys troubles so far

Martyn
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6354|uk

Bell- Using Vista....

Start, Control Panel, Network and Sharing Centre, Along the left hand side, click Manage Network Connections.

Right click on the ones you don't need, deleting them, and disabling them first if necessary.
Greenboi
+14|6369
http://www.wireshark.org/

I think thats what ive used before...it shows you whats being used currently...not 100% sure if its the right one or if it works on wireless...but d/l it and give it a go
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

Nothing you do locally in your OS is going to affect the broadcast signal. You need to connect to your router and change some stuff.

To do that type in the IP of your router in your internet browser. If you don't know the IP of your router, you can find it by opening a command prompt (Run-> cmd) and typing ipconfig, the default gateway address should be your router. Hopefully you know your username and password, otherwise this will all be a  bit futile, enter them and change any settings you want. You should also be able to see all devices connected to the router.

Mad Ad wrote:

Noooo dont use wep ffs ....wep has been cracked already, its trivial to gain access to wep nodes now, use WPA2 (or WPA on an older router) with a long password, thats still *almost* secure....you can do stuff like mac filtering and turn broadcast off if you want but it makes no odds, neither are effective if someone really wants in but if it makes you feel more secure, stick it on.
WEP is fine. Very, very few home users are going to be capable of cracking WEP. Those that can usually won't bother because you have to spend so fucking long (weeks - well it was when I had a go with ethereal last year) sniffing packets to get enough data to be able to decrypt.
ReTox
+100|6501|State of RETOXification

Bertster7 wrote:

WEP is fine. Very, very few home users are going to be capable of cracking WEP. Those that can usually won't bother because you have to spend so fucking long (weeks - well it was when I had a go with ethereal last year) sniffing packets to get enough data to be able to decrypt.
sorry but not quite:

Crack WEP in 10 minutes.

Wardrive anyone???
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6572|United States
I like the guy who mentioned peeing through their letter box... that's just plain funny.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard