Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6567|UK

Hi,

I've got a HP laptop (dv6000) and I want it to connect wirelessly to the internet, atm I am with AOL (yea I know) and they sent me out a Netgear DG834G ADSL router.  I followed the install guide and my desktop PC is connecting to the net fine (actually its faster now.  However, the laptop although it is picking up a signal, will not connect to the net.  I ruled out the problem of the laptop being faulty by connecting it up with wires (the net works that way), but it just wont go online.

I connect to the wireless network (called wireless03) it asks me for my password, I give it, then it says connection is taking longer than usual, then it just fails.  Which is strange as in control pannel it states signal as being 'excellent' but no conectivity!?

I dont know what else to do, I followed the install guides, I have repeated them 3 times now but no dice.

I am begining to think its AOL being arseholes because in stage 3 it says turn on ur wireless adapter, or intel centrino (something or other) the laptop is AMD and apparantly as inbuilt wireless.  Am I missing something?  Do I need an adapter eventhough the machine is 'wireless' capable?

Its doing my head in, any help receives karma!

Edit: The desktop is on XP home, and the laptop is running Vista home premium if that makes a difference

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2007-04-13 08:12:27)

KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6699|Dayton, Ohio
What password are you entering.  Is WEP enabled, you may want to start by making sure you have no security enabled to see if it works, then reneable security and play with the config till it works.  I am not sure how difficult AOL makes thier setup and install.  I avoid them like the plague.  Have you tried your laptop on another wireless network to make sure it will work?

Also, Do an IPconfig to see if you are getting any IP info.  If you signal is strong but no connection, maybe you have a static setting on your wireless card.

Last edited by KnowMeByTrailOfDead (2007-04-13 08:54:16)

r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6466

I am sure u got asked to enter a code when you u use the AOL CD, u gotta enter that code in each computer ur trying to use!
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6567|UK

Update:

Apparantly, they dont support Vista wireless yet and wont for another month or two according to two tech support guys at AOL, oooo happy fuckin days!

Cheerz anyway guys Karma for ur trouble

Martyn
[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6680|Washington
When ever you can't connect to the net, go to a command prompt by Start-Run-CMD-Enter, and try and either ping www.google.com, or 72.14.253.147.  If you can ping either one, your issue is browsing, not connecting.
neon_flux601
+18|6268|Sidahnee Orstrayleeah
hooray for vista and backwards compatibility
mastermofo
+2|6655
Vista shouldn't be a problem at all, the Tech guys just don't know what the hell they're talking about.  My wife just bought a DV6000se and even though I came across a few hurdles trying to share resources with XP machines to Vista machines (that stupid LLTD) I got it working....

Here's what I would do.  If you can change your WEP, change it, and make sure you put that code in when you're connecting to the router from the laptop.  Also, I've had trouble with my cell phones, xbox controllers, and other things with my wireless network, so change the frequency at when it broadcasts at.  There should be a channel selector on the wireless router.  Also, as previously posted, make sure the security settings on the laptop match that of the router, ie.  if your router is encrypted in TKIP, make sure the wireless settings on the laptop reflect that.  As previously posted, you should check your IP settings, to make sure you are connected to the LAN and having either ARP issues or DNS issues when trying to connect to the WAN.  Also, make sure you're running the correct protocols in your internet settings, (which you should be since I suspect that you never chnaged them).
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6773
I also have problems with wireless connection. Well, it works its just that it is very unstable. My internet speed is about 5M/sec and my download speed is between 10k/s and 400k/s with the closest servers available.
2 PC's and 1 lapotop is connecting to wireless the router, the 2 pc's have 2 identical  ASUS wifi cards , the laptop has 1 ASUS PCMCIA card. The router (D-Link) is approximately 6-7 meters from the two pc's and around 8 meters from the laptop. Strange thing is when I carried the laptop out to the garden (around 20-24 meters away) it still read the signal fine with a 30% signal stability. The two pc's get around 50-70% signal stability.
The encryption (or i dont know what) is set to 54g auto on all 3 comps.
What might be the problem?

Edit: all 3 comps run windows xp sp2

Last edited by (HUN)Rudebwoy (2007-04-19 10:05:33)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6511|N. Ireland
Off topic but necessary: My brother has the DV6000 and I love it!

On topic: Vista or XP? I cba reading above ^.
swedge
+23|6477|haggis hill
i just recieved my  new laptop from rock yesterday, i have my pc wired up to my wireless router. i started up my laptop which has vista and it has no probelems finding the wireless connection, i have AOL (Arseholes on-line)
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6567|UK

Wonder what my issue is, I get a signal but when I connect it says its taking longer than usual then just says the connection failed, and I am all out of ideas

Martyn
swedge
+23|6477|haggis hill
when you go to control panel and look at ure connections, on the image at the top does it say u can connect to the net??
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6567|UK

swedge wrote:

when you go to control panel and look at ure connections, on the image at the top does it say u can connect to the net??
I was messing around with it there, I can now connect but I then get a message saying this isnt available in offline mode, so I uncheck work offline option, an internet webpage can be displayed but then I get a message asking me to connect (something to do with PPPOE or something like that) and then it says it failed.  Soooooooo it is connecting and I can go online ish but I cant just use it like I would a wired machine like my desktop, I'm lost :\

Martyn
swedge
+23|6477|haggis hill
my mate had a problem like that, it was because one of his ip address' in this router were wrong.  try going through them and checking
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6511|N. Ireland
Nice choice of laptop! My brother has the same one, but has had no issues. It sounds more AOL related than Windows related. I am assuming you've tried everything Windows related?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard