Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6676
So I have this pentiumIII thats about 5-7yrs old, and it sucks.  Every time I start it up there is some strange problem with it.  The weird things that it does really make great stories sometimes....  Anyway, does anybody have any ideas what I should do with it?  I do not want to completly destroy it, and do not have the computer knowhow to overclock it.
norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6439
Destroy It
An Enlarged Liver
+35|6713|Backward Ass Kansas
You can always make old computers dedicated Juke Boxes...
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6676
I just said that I do not want to destroy it.  Read the post.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6335|California
give it fun time
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6676

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

give it fun time
Wha?
Sneaky.Russian
Random Hero
+119|6291|Australia QLD
put windows vista on it
or
put a pipe bomb in the case and set it off

.......both have the same affect on computers
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6735|Cambridge (UK)
Deadmonkiefart: what country you in? If you're in the UK there's a charity that will take it off your hands (I'll see if I can dig out the details if you are)...
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6335|California

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

give it fun time
Wha?
you know what im talking about
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6629|The darkside of Denver
Recycle it. Google electronics recycling or something.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6676|67.222.138.85
Use it as a server

or...

dip it in liquid nitrogen and throw it off a ten story building.

You said you didn't want to destroy it, but it is old, obviously obsolete, and doesn't run correctly. What else is there to do, donate it to a museum?
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6817|"Frisco"

Old pentiums make good linux router boxes. As others said, you can turn it into a server type box. Use it as a central machine for sharing files or printers in the house.

Overclocking it would be silly as there is nothing you'd want to be running on it these days that would need the 20% boost.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615

<SS>SonderKommando wrote:

Recycle it. Google electronics recycling or something.
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6619|Keyboard
Install on it linux and make it a router. You can also make of it a server of any kind (but of course limited due to resources). The possibilities are endless but it's up to you what will you make out of it .
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6720
take out all the internal parts and then turn it into a plant box.

I know you are saying just now you dont want to destroy it, but to be honest you will probably end up with it sitting around doing nothing. I have one old computer just sitting around not doing anything apart from being a very fancy printer stand.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

-file server
-print server
-jukebox
-ts/vent server
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6568|Cheshire. UK
Turn it into a media server .. MS Home server beta is pretty good...or like Chy says use a linux base for it...use it as a fire wall ... loads of uses for it...

I have a P3 750 in the loft as a file server..almost silent and works great

Last edited by joker3327 (2007-04-24 01:26:02)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

So I have this pentiumIII thats about 5-7yrs old, and it sucks.  Every time I start it up there is some strange problem with it.  The weird things that it does really make great stories sometimes....  Anyway, does anybody have any ideas what I should do with it?  I do not want to completly destroy it, and do not have the computer knowhow to overclock it.
Don't bother trying to modernize it. If you want, repair what you can, optimize all the settings, and set it aside as an occasional office PC/classic PC gaming rig. Or donate it to charity.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-04-24 01:48:33)

airie865
[KNTL] uber - pwner
+5|6600| Scotland !
take it to cash converters
basetballjones
+30|6718
Turn it into a router! 

It's called IPcop- http://www.ipcop.org/

Any machine can become a router with this perfectly delicious open sourceware, an old PC, and two decent NICs

Hey, anyone can brag about their badass dlink gaming router or whatever... then I bust out with my 2.8 pentium4 router with a gig of cache-- i mean RAM
hordi74
+16|6434|Capital City of Nds, Germany
ebay ftw
PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6484|montreal, quebec

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

I do not want to completly destroy it, and do not have the computer knowhow to overclock it.
either throw it in a container, it wont totally destroy it or learn how to overclock, you have the machine to  learn it. i personnaly dont want to learn with my currrent system

basetballjones wrote:

Hey, anyone can brag about their badass dlink gaming router or whatever...
i got a standard DLink 10/100 and it works  fine. i even use it top lay with neighboor downstairs while roomate plays her games on internet.

Last edited by PvtStPoK (2007-04-24 02:18:59)

misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6366|Indianapolis, IN
Linux router or smb/NFS server, I can send you a step-by-step tutorial with iptables already written if you'd like. If you don't want to do that donate it to a shelter; I'm sure some needy families would love to learn the wonders of the internets.
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6611|Deep In The South Of Texas
If you could get it running stable you could use it for folding.

http://folding.stanford.edu/
JT_001
+17|6390|Canada
Install Win98 on it, and download some old games to play on there.... the old Space Quests, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry etc.

OR

If you have young kids/siblings/cousins and you don't want them touching your good computer, making the keyboard sticky and smell like piss and apple juice, then just let them use the old one!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard