kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Okay!

I've filled up my 74GB Raptor and I think its time to upgrade. I use a lot of space so I need a lot of space! I've been looking around and apparently, getting 2 7200RPM drives and RAID0'ing them will smoke any Raptor. Currently, I am looking at getting:

2 x 320GB Seagate 7200.10RPM 16MB Cache SATA-2 Drives in RAID 0

Here are the pros and cons of getting them:

+ Over 600GB Space after Windows Installation
+ Faster than a Raptor, and over 8x the space
+ Techgage rated 10/10 editor's choice for the drive as mentioned above
- If one drive fails, it's all failed
- I've never RAIDed before (Asus P5W DH Deluxe, does allow RAID0)

I appreciate any input, thanks!

> It would cost me less to buy 2 of those drives and RAID0 and sell my Raptor than to buy a new Raptor.

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-04-21 06:53:20)

claor
+39|6416|Australia
Raid 0

edit: get 2 quality drives... i recommend segate barracuda's

Last edited by claor (2007-04-21 06:45:23)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Yeah I would be getting 2 S-Barracudas. I read they were fantastic for RAID0.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6551|EUtopia | Austria
2 raptors in RAID0 ^^
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

Stormscythe wrote:

2 raptors in RAID0 ^^
is too expensive.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6551|EUtopia | Austria
It's only 80€ more. And if you consider buying a raptor, that's not much
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6762|San Antonio, Texas

Stormscythe wrote:

2 raptors in RAID0 ^^
Is what I have. ^.^
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Storm, read my first post please:

> It would cost me less to buy 2 of those drives and RAID0 and sell my Raptor than to buy a new Raptor.

I am doing that if I go RAIDing, because like I said, even 150GB isn't that much.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

The Seagate drive is a good choice for that capacity. If you were only going for 250GB per drive I'd say to go with a Samsung Spinpoint P-series - brilliant 250GB drive, so quiet and has 125GB per platter, so very fast too. They also tend to be pretty cheap.

Although having one Raptor seems like a waste. Why don't you get another one to RAID with your existing drive? I suppose the need for capacity is important - I've given up running Raptors because they are just too small and noisy. I can't see how you can get by on only 74GB, that's nothing - I'd really struggle with 10x that.

*edit* Just noticed you said you're going to sell your Raptor and replace it with the RAID setup - good idea. Unless you have 2, Raptors are a waste of money.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-04-21 08:20:00)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Yeah I only have 1 raptor and do need high capacity.
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

When you say you ran out of space, are you keeping things like pictures, music and stuff on these drives?

I suggest keeping a raid0 set for running os and games, and third large single drive for doc/music storage, apps that don't need the speed, and backing/ghosting up your main set (maybe even a nas for runoff ).

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-04-21 08:44:23)

CrazeD
+368|6675|Maine
Not sure where you heard that, but two drives in RAID0 is NO FASTER than one drive alone. RAID0 is a mirror array. Basically you have two identical drives, if you create a file on drive 1, it creates that same file in the same physical location on drive 2. This is used for backup, to make sure you don't lose files.

RAID1 is a stripe array. You have two drives and the system reads it as one large drive, and writes a byte to each drive. Example: byte 1 - drive 1, byte 2 - drive 2, byte 3 - drive 1, byte 4 - drive 2 (in it's most simple form).

1 - You will only have the same amount of space as one drive if you RAID 0. If you RAID 0 two 500GB drives, you will still only have 500GB of space total.
2 - It is not faster than a Raptor.
3 - Yes, it is a very good drive.
4 - No, RAID 0 is a mirror array - both drives are identicle.
5 - It's quite easy actually, you should be able to figure it out.

Hope I cleared up the confusion.
Smithereener
+138|6318|California

CrazeD wrote:

Not sure where you heard that, but two drives in RAID0 is NO FASTER than one drive alone. RAID0 is a mirror array. Basically you have two identical drives, if you create a file on drive 1, it creates that same file in the same physical location on drive 2. This is used for backup, to make sure you don't lose files.

RAID1 is a stripe array. You have two drives and the system reads it as one large drive, and writes a byte to each drive. Example: byte 1 - drive 1, byte 2 - drive 2, byte 3 - drive 1, byte 4 - drive 2 (in it's most simple form).

1 - You will only have the same amount of space as one drive if you RAID 0. If you RAID 0 two 500GB drives, you will still only have 500GB of space total.

Hm. I thought RAID 0 was the Striped Set and RAID 1 was the Mirrored Set. I think I'll go check it out.

Edit: Yep, I'm pretty sure it is RAID 0 that was the Striped Set because Wiki + Tom's Hardware both say RAID 0 is the Striped Set.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/12/ … index.html - I think this article is pretty relevant to this topic.

Last edited by Smithereener (2007-04-21 09:42:05)

CrazeD
+368|6675|Maine

Smithereener wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Hm. I thought RAID 0 was the Striped Set and RAID 1 was the Mirrored Set. I think I'll go check it out.

Edit: Yep, I'm pretty sure it is RAID 0 that was the Striped Set because Wiki + Tom's Hardware both say RAID 0 is the Striped Set.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/12/ … index.html - I think this article is pretty relevant to this topic.
Oops....My bad

This is what happens when you try to do techy stuff when you just wake up.

Well in that case, disregard everything I said.

Your drives will indeed be faster than a single Raptor, but only for transfer speed. The Raptor can still access data and read/write a helluva lot faster than those regular drives can.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Thanks for the comments. It looks like I must just go for the RAID0
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6586|England
Building on what jsnipy said i rekon you could...

* Buy another 74GB raptor
* RAID0 the 2 raptors
* Use the raptors for games and OSes.
* Buy a 500GB Seagate
* Have the Segate independent of the Raptors and use it for documents

That way you get speed and space.

Or, go ahead and RAID 2 x 250GB drives, but remeber, how comfortable are you with having all your files with NO REDUNDANCY (thats why some people refuse to call RAID0 RAID, just calling it AID).

Have a look here
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/03/12/ch … raptor_uk/
Cheap RAID > Raptors

EDIT: Someone said RAID0 offered mirroring? Thats completely wrong....

RAID0 = Striping (Speed)
RAID1 = Mirroring (Redundancy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Standard_RAID_levels

Last edited by =Karma-Kills= (2007-04-21 10:15:48)

CrazeD
+368|6675|Maine

=Karma-Kills= wrote:

Building on what jsnipy said i rekon you could...

EDIT: Someone said RAID0 offered mirroring? Thats completely wrong....
Eh... I just woke up and confused RAID0 with 1.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland

=Karma-Kills= wrote:

* Buy another 74GB raptor
* RAID0 the 2 raptors
* Use the raptors for games and OSes.
* Buy a 500GB Seagate
* Have the Segate independent of the Raptors and use it for documents

That way you get speed and space.
I'm not made of cash! And like I said, 150GB is too little for my gaming directory. I was forced to un-install COD2 to play PR, only to miss COD2 now. I never want to be in this situation.
CC-Marley
+407|6830

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Stormscythe wrote:

2 raptors in RAID0 ^^
Is what I have. ^.^
Me too in my XPS 3
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6603|132 and Bush

Coming from someone with two raptors in Raid 0... Raid 0
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

... and you can still have all these drives and only 1 logical C: drive, so you can change it up in the future without having a bunch of different drive letters.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-04-21 17:28:49)

bigdroo
+7|6429|Yooahss-ayy!
How about a single Seagate 750gb drive? Either that or a 500gb and a memory upgrade.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I keep my RAID0 setup on small drives. All my important data is kept elsewhere. Using RAID0 for high-capacity drives is lunacy.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-04-21 19:00:27)

Mad Ad
+178|6513|England, UK
with raid 0 you WILL lose the array at some point, might not be now, might not be tomorrow but it will happen. 

The STR figures look great for a raid 0 but in real world performance you will gain a second or two in things like loading a game, and a few seconds more (3 or 4) when handling say 1.5GB rars.

if you really want to splash the cash, go raid 10 and get the best of both worlds but really, you are spending all that money for literally only a few seconds performance.

I have run raid 10 setups on the desktop for about 4 years now and this is from experience, not hearsay
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6495|N. Ireland
Guys, please read above before posting.

- I am not RAID0'ing Raptor drives
- I need high space, and do not want a single drive
- I don't have much cash to spare
- I can only afford 2 drives, so RAID1, 10 or whatever is NOT possible!
- I need space! 2 x 150GB Raptor would set me back over £250 quid and I'd still have all the space filled, and I install all my non-high priority apps on another drive!

MadAd:
That's stupidly pessimistic. You know, I reckon all of your drives will fail soon. It might not be now, it might not be tomorrow, but it will happen.

Unnamed:
Why, exactly?

> Okay, so now I am considering getting a second Raptor due to performance. RAID0 with 2 Raptors sounds fantastic, but expensive.

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-04-22 03:18:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard