Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6608|SE London

ssj3barua wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I don't particularly care whether people in the US run around killing each other with guns. But school massacres like in Columbine and Virginia and not pleasant occurences. I'd prefer them not to happen.

There was a school shooting once in the UK, in Dunblane. Then much stricter guns laws were brought in and guess what? It hasn't ever happened again.

But if you value gun ownership over personal safety that's your choice, it's a stupid choice, but it's yours to make.
If it wasn't a firearm it would have been something else like say, explosives. When there are people willing to commit such atrocities they will find a means to do it, guns or no guns.
There is no evidence that that is the case. In fact there is quite a lot of evidence to the contrary.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6576|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

ssj3barua wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I don't particularly care whether people in the US run around killing each other with guns. But school massacres like in Columbine and Virginia and not pleasant occurences. I'd prefer them not to happen.

There was a school shooting once in the UK, in Dunblane. Then much stricter guns laws were brought in and guess what? It hasn't ever happened again.

But if you value gun ownership over personal safety that's your choice, it's a stupid choice, but it's yours to make.
If it wasn't a firearm it would have been something else like say, explosives. When there are people willing to commit such atrocities they will find a means to do it, guns or no guns.
Err you seem to have missed his evidence "It hasn't ever happened again.".

Also, I'm sure the 7/7 bombers would have still used bombs and if guns were legal here so it works both ways.
Vernedead
Cossack
+21|6259|Albion
it hadn't happened before either and theres nothing to prevent it happening again but with a shotgun instead of a handgun.

Last edited by Vernedead (2007-04-18 11:39:40)

ssj3barua
+55|6715|Indianapolis, IN, U.S.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Err you seem to have missed his evidence "It hasn't ever happened again.".

ways.
Err, who's to say it won't. Do you have a crystal ball there Nostradamus?
182|dunc
+4|6306|manchester UK
the goverment here in England banned handguns in 1997 and suprise suprise the number of deaths from gunshot wound has changed not at all every year since then. this is mainly because it is  criminals and insane people who kill with guns and they are well known for not obeying the law.illegal handguns are readily available to any who want them here in manchester as long as they have enough money.all banning guns means is that the vast majority if ordinary people have no way of defending themselves when confronted by a gun.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6576|CH/BR - in UK

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Maybe the Swiss could say mind your own business but an American cannot take the moral highground here I'm afraid.
We wish - we've the EU and UN keep telling us to change our taxing laws. Bastards should leave our taxing to us - it doesn't kill anyone.

-konfusion
ssj3barua
+55|6715|Indianapolis, IN, U.S.

182|dunc wrote:

the goverment here in England banned handguns in 1997 and suprise suprise the number of deaths from gunshot wound has changed not at all every year since then. this is mainly because it is  criminals and insane people who kill with guns and they are well known for not obeying the law.illegal handguns are readily available to any who want them here in manchester as long as they have enough money.all banning guns means is that the vast majority if ordinary people have no way of defending themselves when confronted by a gun.
This man understands!
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6766

182|dunc wrote:

Ordinary people even before 1997 didn't feel the need to have a gun to defend themselves in Britain

I'm glad I live in a country were I don't need a gun to feel safe to walk the streets.

Also I don't feel the need to have a gun to feel safe in my own home.

When handguns were banned in 1997 in didn't make a blind bit of difference to the vast majority of people in Britain.

We are not a nation of gun lovers and never have been.
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6566|The Lost Highway

paranoid101 wrote:

182|dunc wrote:

Ordinary people even before 1997 didn't feel the need to have a gun to defend themselves in Britain

I'm glad I live in a country were I don't need a gun to feel safe to walk the streets.

When handguns were banned in 1997 in didn't make a blind bit of difference to the vast majority of people in Britain.

I see two guns in yer signature.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6766

mKmalfunction wrote:

paranoid101 wrote:

182|dunc wrote:

I see two guns in yer signature.
Wow what a great answer, you point out I have film guns in my sig, man who said the debate section was going down hill.
Microwave
_
+515|6681|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

paranoid101 wrote:

182|dunc wrote:

I fully agree.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6420|The Gem Saloon

james@alienware wrote:

paranoid101 wrote:

182|dunc wrote:

I fully agree.
congrats...now once you realize that we as a nation have an obsession with firearms, the better off you will be.
your laws will not work here, plain and simple.

if you think they will, then the first thing that would be needed to do would be to disarm all of the criminals.
you tell me how to do that, then ill tell you the other reasons your laws wont work here.....
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6788

Bubbalo wrote:

But a car serves an alternate, legitimate purpose.  What other purpose does a gun serve but to do harm to others?
Protect a ranchers cattle.
Parker
isteal

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

But a car serves an alternate, legitimate purpose.  What other purpose does a gun serve but to do harm to others?
how would you get mistletoe?
Smitty5613
+46|6553|Middle of nowhere, California

Parker wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

how would you get mistletoe?
that doesnt effect ranchers cattle... unless you have cows that climb trees
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6766

Parker wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

paranoid101 wrote:

I fully agree.
congrats...now once you realize that we as a nation have an obsession with firearms, the better off you will be.
your laws will not work here, plain and simple.

if you think they will, then the first thing that would be needed to do would be to disarm all of the criminals.
you tell me how to do that, then ill tell you the other reasons your laws wont work here.....
Never said they would, was just answering a post.

I Know that banning guns in the US would never work, its too ingrained in the mentality of some of the American people the right to guns.

But that said some of the laws must be changed or amended, make it harder to get firearms maybe, more background checks maybe needed, ask the reason the person is wanting the firearm E.G. if he says hunting when he wants Semi automatic pistols, you know its not going to be use for hunting or he want something for home defence but is asking for an high power rifle.

Like a lot of American people have said owning a gun should be a privilege not a right.

But as a lot have said if you don't come from America you can't know all the facts, so I will leave it at this.
Smitty5613
+46|6553|Middle of nowhere, California

SteikeTa wrote:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I read to page 6 and could not read any more crap from a lot of you people.
          Some of you say that you think it's a great idea that everyone should be carrying a gun. And imagine how safe you would feel if you walked down the street with it on you. Yeah, I would be very safe. Because I would be carrying a gun. AND EVERYONE ELSE AROUND ME. How safe are you when everybody is carrying a gun? Going out and seeing someone showing it to their friends and woops... it went off(just an example).
When you get robbed, you can just take out the gun you are carrying. Mmmm... it would be no problem defending your self against the robber who already has his weapon pointing at you and already being nervous and twitchy. You would most definitely have the time to take out your fantastic gun and shoot him before he can shoot you. Remember, he is just holding his gun in your face and being nervous. He probably wont shoot, if he would, you would make it before he does. Right!
hmm, so noone else standing around you would help you? they would just sit their and watch the guy rob you?? i would think they might help a little if they had a weapon.....  and who would show a gun to their friend in public? if they were in private and it accidentally discharged, nobody would be hurt if they were responsible... when you own firearms, you always treat them like they are loaded, whether they are or not...
Parker
isteal

Smitty5613 wrote:

SteikeTa wrote:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I read to page 6 and could not read any more crap from a lot of you people.
          Some of you say that you think it's a great idea that everyone should be carrying a gun. And imagine how safe you would feel if you walked down the street with it on you. Yeah, I would be very safe. Because I would be carrying a gun. AND EVERYONE ELSE AROUND ME. How safe are you when everybody is carrying a gun? Going out and seeing someone showing it to their friends and woops... it went off(just an example).
When you get robbed, you can just take out the gun you are carrying. Mmmm... it would be no problem defending your self against the robber who already has his weapon pointing at you and already being nervous and twitchy. You would most definitely have the time to take out your fantastic gun and shoot him before he can shoot you. Remember, he is just holding his gun in your face and being nervous. He probably wont shoot, if he would, you would make it before he does. Right!
hmm, so noone else standing around you would help you? they would just sit their and watch the guy rob you?? i would think they might help a little if they had a weapon.....  and who would show a gun to their friend in public? if they were in private and it accidentally discharged, nobody would be hurt if they were responsible... when you own firearms, you always treat them like they are loaded, whether they are or not...
lol, these kids just have no idea..........
NO ONE WHO HAS A CCW LICENSE WALKS DOWN THE STREET "SHOWING PEOPLE THEIR GUN"!!!!!!!

just another example of if you dont know what you are talking about you make yourself look like an ass.
SteikeTa
+153|6774|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega

Parker wrote:

Smitty5613 wrote:

SteikeTa wrote:

NO ONE WHO HAS A CCW LICENSE WALKS DOWN THE STREET "SHOWING PEOPLE THEIR GUN"!!!!!!!

just another example of if you dont know what you are talking about you make yourself look like an ass.
Yeah, I look like an ass... that's what I wrote, standing on the streets and showing off their gun. Yeah, I wrote that, now let me see if I can find that sentence.......... oh, I can't. Ow yeah, like people would rob you in the middle of a crowded area. And cut the "these kids" crap. Think you are talking to a kid?
SteikeTa
+153|6774|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega

Smitty5613 wrote:

SteikeTa wrote:

No no, everybody else would also pull out their gun and shoot the criminal. Of course, you most likely would get robbed out in the open(probably not)!

And by the way, would a gun accidentally go off if there were responsible people owning that weapon? No I don't think so. If they were responsible, they would not even show it off and especially not a loaded gun. But hey, what do I know. Like another guy wrote, I'm a 25 year old kid who just made an ass out of my self. Mature to argue by calling someone that an ass..... Guess it is too hard for some people to discuss things without getting personal. Wont reply to similar things next time. Try to not be so juvenile.

Last edited by SteikeTa (2007-04-18 16:07:19)

Parker
isteal

SteikeTa wrote:

Parker wrote:

Smitty5613 wrote:

Yeah, I look like an ass... that's what I wrote, standing on the streets and showing off their gun. Yeah, I wrote that, now let me see if I can find that sentence.......... oh, I can't. Ow yeah, like people would rob you in the middle of a crowded area. And cut the "these kids" crap. Think you are talking to a kid?
"Going out and seeing someone showing it to their friends and woops... it went off(just an example)."

GG kid
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6798|PNW

SteikeTa wrote:

Ow yeah, like people would rob you in the middle of a crowded area.
It happens.
Parker
isteal

SteikeTa wrote:

Smitty5613 wrote:

SteikeTa wrote:

No no, everybody else would also pull out their gun and shoot the criminal. Of course, you most likely would get robbed out in the open(probably not)!

And by the way, would a gun accidentally go off if there were responsible people owning that weapon? No I don't think so. If they were responsible, they would not even show it off and especially not a loaded gun. But hey, what do I know. Like another guy wrote, I'm a 25 year old kid who just made an ass out of my self. Mature to argue by calling someone that an ass..... Guess it is too hard for some people to discuss things without getting personal. Wont reply to similar things next time. Try to not be so juvenile.
i was letting you know how it is.
there was no personal attack.....if you feel there was please press that little "Report" button if you feel the need.
the mods will do their thing if they see fit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6798|PNW

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

that sir, makes you a hypocrite.

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Stupid an ignornat, knives were designed to faciltate cutting materials such as food and materials.  Guns were invented to kill and maim...
Beautiful.
JOJOBA
my penis itches
+18|6559|Columbus, OH

usmarine2005 wrote:

bob_6012 wrote:

JOJOBA wrote:

I'm surprised there has been very little mention of guns being used as sport.

Camp Perry, an active base located in Ohio, right on Lake Erie, has been running for over 100 years.  If i remember correctly, they have been holding target shooting competitions since 1903 (basically since the rifle came out).  in those 100+ years, i know for fact that not one person has been shot during those matches.  people have a better chance of dying from heat stroke at Camp Perry than they do of getting shot when they are at the base. 

responsibility is very important when owning a gun, and there is proof to show.   Camp Perry is a responsible society, and the result is the fact that not one person has ever been shot in 100 years of competitions.
You're right Camp Perry has been having rifle matches for quite some time, actually it's where the civilian
M-14 was born, so it holds a special spot in my heart. The matches have been there since 1907 so you were close. And I too was also surprised by the lack of people saying firearms are used primarily for hunting or sport.
Is that the National Guard base?  If so, I shot my worst rifle score there.  Damn Lake Erie breeze.
the breeze is what makes it Camp Perry.  i remember a day when the wind flags were flying in all different directions, and then another day when the wind made a legitimate 180 degree turn in about 30 seconds.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard