tF-afrojap
+124|6818|SF
Sup addicts, long time no see.

I’d like to start by saying, I love choppers.
To be more accurate, I like soloing the hell out of other choppers. However when I try to gun infantry down I find the F1 and F2 keys to be ill suited for quick switching. So I set out to see what could be done about it, and would like to share with you my findings.
If you like to optimize your gameplay you’ve probably messed around in the controls.con before. (located in your profile folder)

I started by planning what I wanted for my new setup. For the pilot seat I figured I’d assign a key that’s close to WSAD and easily accessible, in case I need to spam it like crazy before my face becomes a part of that wall in front of me. So, I went with the space bar. For the Gunner seat I went with E (since my enter is R)

So I start with the pilot seat and make the following change under the Helicopter section

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F1 10000 0
To

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_Space 10000 0
Wtfbbq, doesn’t work. Turns out F1-F3 positions for Helicopters and Aircraft are affected by the keys assigned in the LAND vehicle section. Oh course! Like, DUH. Also, in order to use the space bar I had to remove the alternate bind for shooting your primary weapon under land vehicles, which is spacebar by default. If you don’t, the keys will be in conflict and will not function.

You guys may have known that, but while I’m going through this trial and error torture I came across a neat effect. If you assign the pilot and gunner seat keys to PICameraMode1, and make the Pilot bind the alternative as below...

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PICameraMode1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_E 10000 0
ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PICameraMode1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_Space 10000 1
the result is that when you hit space to pop back into the pilot, the game thinks you also switched view and gets rid of the pesky HUD! I thought this was a nice little time saver, especially when you’re in those situations where you want to switch back to pilot with max visibility. Also because I bound View1 with the gunner seat key, all I have to do is tap E twice to be HUD-less in gunner.

If all this seems too messy you can leave the Land vehicle binds unaffected by re-adding your old binds as the alternate bind, but personally I'm loving the ability to pop into gunner with E and take off with spacebar in a jeep.

I’ve only just started looking at this and I’m sure there’s room for improvement.. so I figured I’d share this with you and see what you guys come up with..
My next goal is to achieve the same effect with the gunner view. Meaning, getting rid of the need to hit E twice for gunner, and also automatically getting rid of the HUD between weapon switches in the gunner seat.

Anyway, if you’re into this kinda stuff here’s a great post that explains how the chaotic binding system of BF2 works. (like those weird 10000 variables at the end of each bind)

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattle … id=1671636

Again, this may be old material, so if you have something to add, post it here!
Happy gunning.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6598|UK

tF-afrojap wrote:

the result is that when you hit space to pop back into the pilot, the game thinks you also switched view and gets rid of the pesky HUD!
Hooray! Thanks dude, I'll test this out later today.
tF-afrojap
+124|6818|SF
Ok, after some tweaking I think I have perfected my aviator binds.
The buttons can be replaced by whatever, but in my case this is my config:

Space - Switch to Pilot seat w/out HUD
1st Right click - TV/LGM mode
2nd Right click - Gunner mode w/out HUD

So basically you will never see that damn HUD with these binds expect when you first get in, which is quickly remedied by hitting space once. Sweet huh? I'll share the code with you below.
Be sure to replace the new material with the original bind. Battlefield only recognizes 2 binds for a function, one primary and a secondary. If you add more, one of the binds will stop working. It is important to append the land section as well for the helicopter switching to work, don't look at me DICE did it. :\
Xfire me if anything is unclear.

[WARNING] Make a backup of your control.con, don't come crying to me [/WARNING]

All you have to do is change the binds for switching seats, and changing views.
1. Locate these binds in the Land, Air, and Helicopter section

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F1 10000 0
ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect2 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F2 10000 0
Replace with the following

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_Space 10000 0
ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F1 10000 1
ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect2 IDFMouse IDButton_1 10000 0
ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect2 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F2 10000 1
2. Locate these binds in Land, Air, and Helicopter section

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PICameraMode1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F9 10000 0

Code:

ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_PICameraMode1 IDFMouse IDButton_1 10000 0
ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PICameraMode1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_Space 10000 1
3. Enjoy!

Last edited by tF-afrojap (2007-04-10 13:09:00)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6691|California

sah-weet
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

tF-afrojap wrote:

Ok, after some tweaking I think I have perfected my aviator binds.
The buttons can be replaced by whatever, but in my case this is my config:

Space - Switch to Pilot seat w/out HUD
1st Right click - TV/LGM mode
2nd Right click - Gunner mode w/out HUD

So basically you will never see that damn HUD with these binds expect when you first get in, which is quickly remedied by hitting space once. Sweet huh? I'll share the code with you below.
Be sure to replace the new material with the original bind. Battlefield only recognizes 2 binds for a function, one primary and a secondary. If you add more, one of the binds will stop working. It is important to append the land section as well for the helicopter switching to work, don't look at me DICE did it. :\
Xfire me if anything is unclear.

[WARNING] Make a backup of your control.con, don't come crying to me [/WARNING]

All you have to do is change the binds for switching seats, and changing views.
1. Locate these binds in the Land, Air, and Helicopter section

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect2 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F2 10000 0

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F1 10000 1
ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect2 IDFMouse IDButton_1 10000 0
ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIPositionSelect2 IDFKeyboard IDKey_F2 10000 1
2. Locate these binds in Land, Air, and Helicopter section

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PICameraMode1 IDFKeyboard IDKey_1 10000 0

Code:

ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_PICameraMode1 IDFMouse IDButton_1 10000 0
3. Enjoy!
Or pick up a gunner and use the heli/plane built for two!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard