too_money2007
+145|6308|Keller, Tx
Let's say I have a friend. He finally found out that someone in is apt. building is running an unsecured wireless router and he gets ~200k download speeds.

He doesn't do anything illegal, just checks email and reads websites and such. He wants to play BF2 through it, but isn't sure how reliable it'll be.

Where do you guys stand on using someone Else's internet? I consider it their own fault for not protecting it in the first place. Other than a moral issue, I don't see an issue due to nothing really wrong being done. He'd just be "tapping" into their signal. I mean, they don't own the airwaves.

Last edited by too_money2007 (2007-03-30 11:24:47)

r00ts
xD
+81|6542|Netherlands
You probably dont have a friend and you talking about yourself right?

anyhow i think they should protect it if they dont want other people to use it, imo just steal that int3rn3tzzz

r00ts
FredFLQ
S0tp R4p1nG u5!!1one
+47|6531|Donnacona, Quebec
Just tell your "friend" to h4ckx0rZ t3h 1nt3rn3tz!!11!one
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6408|Somersetshire
just "borrow" it then, might as well, i say it's their fault if they don't protect it
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6696|NJ
Internet around here is 40 dollars a month after the intial LTA(limited time offer) so if it the more the merrier, if it starts getting logged down by people then you start to have a problem.
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
I'd do it,but thats me,i'm Illegal Ian.

Not that my name is Ian.

Would it make the person who you are tapping into internet slower,or stop them from using it?

Or would they not even notice?
SteikeTa
+153|6748|Norway/Norwegen/ Norge/Noruega

r00ts wrote:

You probably dont have a friend and you talking about yourself right?

anyhow i think they should protect it if they dont want other people to use it, imo just steal that int3rn3tzzz

r00ts
Hahahah..... I thought the same thing
Darth_Fleder
Mod from the Church of the Painful Truth
+533|6806|Orlando, FL - Age 43
I would say that 'your friends' chances of a reliable connection depend on the user. I had a wireless router installed in my apartment for some time and began noticing times that during TWL/CAL matches that my pings would intermittedly go through the roof. That was until I noticed that the little light indicating that the router was being accessed wirelessly at the same time when no wireless devices were in my home. End of 24/7 wireless unprotected access.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6829|Grapevine, TX
IF they dont lock it down, its free to use, IMO. Use it till the e-cows come home.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

If he gets caught, he can be charged with theft.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6527|Belgium

My neighbour has the same, but I don't abuse it. Only when my internet doesn't work, I use his to check for urgent mails etc.

BF2 + wireless = fail anyway.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

remember that this connection is unsecured & unencrypted. That way "his" neighbor or anyone else on the network can know exactly what "he" is doing. I would only do it if you have a way to encrypt (like a VPN) your connection. Unsecured networks are great for illegal downloads though .

Morally I have no problem with leaching off someone else's network. I do it all the time
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6696|NJ
Agent, on that note are these place's that offer free wireless internet like a bar or a coffee shop are they technically stealing too?
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6526|Milkystania, yurop
D/L midgetpron
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

If he gets caught, he can be charged with theft.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Agent, on that note are these place's that offer free wireless internet like a bar or a coffee shop are they technically stealing too?
unless the laws concerning this in the US are way different than here, its no theft. We talked about it @ uni and the consensus is that its no theft because you are not causing any (financial) damage to the guy. His fault if he doesn't secure it.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6736|Salt Lake City

cpt.fass1 wrote:

No, they are paying for a service, and usually require business grade accounts for such connections.  It wouldn't be that uncommon for them to even have a real business grade connection, not a DSL or cable service. 

Also, what I meant by theft was that he is using the service of another without permission.
too_money2007
+145|6308|Keller, Tx

jord wrote:

I'd do it,but thats me,i'm Illegal Ian.

Not that my name is Ian.

Would it make the person who you are tapping into internet slower,or stop them from using it?

Or would they not even notice?
I would think it depends on what they're doing. I'm sure most people don't play games via wireless... but since I don't have the net at home, I mean my friend, it's the only thing I can use. Might be difficult to play BF2 on a 1-2 mb wireless signal.

I went from having pings of 6 to god knows what it'll be. I just hope my tower can pick up a signal. I'm gonna go buy a PCI wireless card after work today. Our laptop's wireless card can get the signal, so I'll pray the PCI card can.

I was looking at this one here:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4396315

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard