Poll

Which would you say takes more skill to be a pro?

Nascar Racing19%19% - 12
PGA Golf80%80% - 50
Total: 62
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6699|USA
Poll above. Discuss your answer.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6425|New York
Nascar requires quick reflexes, concentration, ass endurance, and the ability to hold piss for long periods of time.

Golf requires knowledge of the course, good reads on windspeed and wind direction, a good feel for how the ball will land and move once it hits the grass, a good short and long game to be successful, patience, technique, the ability to hit a small ball with the head of a club consistantly (and also making the ball go where you want it to), concentration. These are all I could think of at the moment.

Seems a little obvious. The skill required to play golf is on a completely different level than the skill required to drive a car around a track.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
aLeX
.?
+160|6368|:D

heggs wrote:

Nascar requires quick reflexes, concentration, ass endurance, and the ability to hold piss for long periods of time.

Golf requires knowledge of the course, good reads on windspeed and wind direction, a good feel for how the ball will land and move once it hits the grass, a good short and long game to be successful, patience, technique, the ability to hit a small ball with the head of a club consistantly (and also making the ball go where you want it to), concentration. These are all I could think of at the moment.

Seems a little obvious. The skill required to play golf is on a completely different level than the skill required to drive a car around a track.
Yea.. What he said!
Mafia47
+27|6777|Chicago
golf is the hardest sport to play. I hate it. I suck at it. I'm not here to defend it or anything, but compared to others sports that I play (baseball, football, lacrosse, basketball, soccer) its the hardest of them all.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6482|The Land of Scott Walker
Much easier to get into the PGA than NASCAR.  Not just anyone can drive 180+mph a couple inches off the doorhandle or bumper of 42 other cars without crashing.  Just look how many wrecks we have on the interstate highway only doing between 65-80mph!   Driving a powerful racecar takes a lot more physical endurance than swinging a little club around and walking.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6686

Stingray24 wrote:

Much easier to get into the PGA than NASCAR.  Not just anyone can drive 180+mph a couple inches off the doorhandle or bumper of 42 other cars without crashing.  Just look how many wrecks we have on the interstate highway only doing between 65-80mph!   Driving a powerful racecar takes a lot more physical endurance than swinging a little club around and walking.
I'm relatively confident that I'd be a lot better at NASCAR than at golf.

EDIT: I mean, it's an effing circle! I do not understand what is so appealing about watching it at all.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2007-03-29 14:25:38)

Stingray24

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

EDIT: I mean, it's an effing circle! I do not understand what is so appealing about watching it at all.
Not a circle, you apparently haven't watched it.  The appealing part is 700+hp cars doing 180+, what else do you need?
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6425|New York

Stingray24 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Not a circle, you apparently haven't watched it.  The appealing part is 700+hp cars doing 180+, what else do you need?
If you've ever played golf, you'd know how incredibly difficult it is to put the ball right where want it. Nascar is crazy and dangerous and fast and all that. Not everyone can take a car around a track at those speeds.

You can almost think of golfing is an extremely hard game of chess: you making strategic moves based on your surroundings to get where you need to go.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
l41e
+677|6685

Stingray24 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

I thought the appealing part for some people was watching several-ton cars smash into each other and concrete barriers at said 180+.

Or is that "unspoken" or something?
InnerMonkey
+62|6755
I vote golf for the very reasons heggs mentions.  I'm not saying NASCAR is easy, but I think that more of what is required are things like reflexes and strong nerves.  Those are technically skills, sure, but not so much as the things heggs mentioned.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6699|USA
They are the most scientific of the sports do you think?
Stingray24

k30dxedle wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I thought the appealing part for some people was watching several-ton cars smash into each other and concrete barriers at said 180+.

Or is that "unspoken" or something?
For some that may be appealing.  For me it's the skill it takes to drive those cars fast and keep them off the wall and win.  Can't beat that V8 growl either.  Sure, the wrecks are part of the sport, but it's more impressive to watch a guy drive his car out of a spin and not hit the wall.
d3x74
+14|6683|NY
Golf, any redneck can drive a dumpster around a circle over and over again.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6667|Washington, DC

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

F1 is far more scientific than NASCAR.
d3x74
+14|6683|NY

Hurricane wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

F1, now we are talking skills.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6669

d3x74 wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

F1, now we are talking skills.
Cubanpenguin
+35|6714|Kingston, Canada

heggs wrote:

Actualy they just pee their pants...
williedyna
+7|6681
twiddling your thumbs
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6669

Stingray24 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

With F1 you have 800+ bhp cars doing 200+ mph, unless the FIA are going to lower it even more... Nascar is shitbox
d3x74
+14|6683|NY

Gooners wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

With F1 you have 800+ bhp cars doing 200+ mph, unless the FIA are going to lower it even more... Nascar is shitbox
With normal downforce (1G), F1 cars can reach 260 mph.

Also F1's are unlike the gas guzzlers you find on the nascar tracks. Their engines are state of the art and it takes skills driving them since most of the tracks are complicated as hell. And unlike nascar there is a huge stigma against crashing a car. Rednecks however demand car crashes, bloody hicks.
TeamOrange
Don't be that guy
+84|6347
i would say they are the same but for different reasons
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6680
dodge ball
Stingray24

Hurricane wrote:

I don’t follow F1 because I don’t have the cable channels to watch the races, but if you check into it, NASCAR has become quite scientific in how the cars are developed. 

Gooners wrote:

NASCAR actually does top 200+ on several tracks and that’s with a restrictor plate on the carburetor that limits the horsepower. 

d3x74 wrote:

With normal downforce (1G), F1 cars can reach 260 mph.

Also F1's are unlike the gas guzzlers you find on the nascar tracks. Their engines are state of the art and it takes skills driving them since most of the tracks are complicated as hell. And unlike nascar there is a huge stigma against crashing a car. Rednecks however demand car crashes, bloody hicks.
Since when do we use fuel economy to compare racing leagues? That’s not a valid comparison anyway.  According to their website, F1 cars get about 4mpg which isn’t that good.  Considering the size of NASCAR fuel cells and the number of laps they complete before pit stops, I’d say the fuel economy is pretty close. The engines in NASCAR are also state of the art, they simply get their power in a lower rev range than F1.  I enjoy the rumble of the V8 over the whine of an F1 engine, but that’s personal preference.  NASCAR still shifts like real men, with a clutch and gated gearbox, not with flappy paddle electronically controlled gearboxes like F1.  No electronic traction control for NASCAR, either.  If a driver starts to spin, he has to figure it out himself in NASCAR, rather than relying on electronics to save him. 

With the cost of any racing car these days no one wants to crash.  Do you think a driver would be kept around that's constantly wrecking cars?  No. You're showing your prejudice with your redneck comment. The NASCAR fanbase isn't limited to the Southern US.  Gimme a break.
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6669|USA

heggs wrote:

QFT. Especiially the Ass endurance thing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard