OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6658|Washington DC

I had always wondered if domain squatters/speculators had a hook into registrars ... I think my suspicions were confirmed yesterday.

I am in the process of transferring a website from one host to another, and we had come up with a better domain name for the site, so we figured this would be a good time to adjust the name.  It is a "dot org" site. 

So, on Monday, I go on godaddy.com to see if our new name is available ... I just generically type in the domain name and godaddy defaults to the "dot com" TLD.  It is available, along with every other TLD.

On Tuesday afternoon, we decide to go ahead and rename the website to the new URL, so I go to godaddy.com to register the "dot org" URL.  What do I see????  A domain squatter/speculator had registered the "dot com" version of the URL just hours after I had checked for its availability.

Amazing.  They have hooks into the registrar.  I hate squatters.  Anyway, this is just a heads up for those of you contemplating registrations.

(no, this isn't a mere coincidence ... the URL had never been registered and it is not common).
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6445|UK
do a WHOIS report on your domain name

see who its registered to
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6534|South Florida

OrangeHound wrote:

I had always wondered if domain squatters/speculators had a hook into registrars ... I think my suspicions were confirmed yesterday.

I am in the process of transferring a website from one host to another, and we had come up with a better domain name for the site, so we figured this would be a good time to adjust the name.  It is a "dot org" site. 

So, on Monday, I go on godaddy.com to see if our new name is available ... I just generically type in the domain name and godaddy defaults to the "dot com" TLD.  It is available, along with every other TLD.

On Tuesday afternoon, we decide to go ahead and rename the website to the new URL, so I go to godaddy.com to register the "dot org" URL.  What do I see????  A domain squatter/speculator had registered the "dot com" version of the URL just hours after I had checked for its availability.

Amazing.  They have hooks into the registrar.  I hate squatters.  Anyway, this is just a heads up for those of you contemplating registrations.

(no, this isn't a mere coincidence ... the URL had never been registered and it is not common).
A. GODADDY SUCKS i STRONGLY STRONGLY HIGHLY discourage using them. And i REALLY encourage using www.1and1.com they offer amazingly low prices and awesome servers... You can tell im a fan.

B. I hate domain squaders with a fucking flaming pasion!! Everytime i come up with a good name i check it out and realize that someone took it. and i could appreciate if someone took it and actually made a site out of it... but these guys are wasting the internet... Soon all that will be left are 20 character domain names... lol

Last edited by Dezerteagal5 (2007-03-28 11:02:25)

15 more years! 15 more years!
CrazeD
+368|6682|Maine

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

A. GODADDY SUCKS i STRONGLY STRONGLY HIGHLY discourage using them. And i REALLY encourage using www.1and1.com they offer amazingly low prices and awesome servers... You can tell im a fan.

B. I hate domain squaders with a fucking flaming pasion!! Everytime i come up with a good name i check it out and realize that someone took it. and i could appreciate if someone took it and actually made a site out of it... but these guys are wasting the internet... Soon all that will be left are 20 character domain names... lol
Man, Godaddy is one of the best hosts around.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6658|Washington DC

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

I don't use godaddy's hosting services, just their registration services (all but one of the URL's I have through godaddy are masks and/or forwards).
Maxxxie74
+25|6580|Brisbane, Australia
I hate domain squatters too.  Not long ago I started up a business (www.gamesdepot.com.au for anyone who cares) and had all sorts of really great ideas for business names.  My partner and I came up with about thirty different names.  Of those, about 10 were in use by actual legitimate businesses.  Another 15 were domain squatting butt-munchers.  Thankfully, the name we decided upon in the end wasn't in use

Max

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard