stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6690|California

NemeSiS-Factor wrote:

Aiming one of the atom bombs for Tokyo, instead of some back country town?
Oh god no. That would be millions of civilian deaths. Not to mention the government, all of it, would be dead.
NemeSiS-Factor
Favorite Weapon? Pistol
+29|6640|Everett, WA, US
I imagine the Japanese government wasn't at the top of our concern list at the time.  And I have been told that there was a larger military installation nearby than Nagasaki.
Janysc
+59|6654|Norway

NemeSiS-Factor wrote:

No way. The point wasn't to kill as many civilians as possible, it was to give the Japanese a taste of things to come if they didn't surrender. I think the nuclear attacks would be far more difficult to defend if millions were killed...
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6663|NAS Jacksonville, Florida

NemeSiS-Factor wrote:

Why? We firebombed the crap out of it before that.
NemeSiS-Factor
Favorite Weapon? Pistol
+29|6640|Everett, WA, US
Well we either should have moved that bomb closer, or further away.  They obviously got some radiation from one of them, just enough to fuck them all up, but not be lethal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/ … asians.jpg
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6520|CH/BR - in UK

ATG wrote:

Given the fact that the atomic bomb ushered in 50 years free of major world wide conflict an ended the war I'd say it should have been used sooner.

A santuary should have been provided to the European jews.
The League of NAtions could have purchased land deep in Brazil and they could have settled there perhaps avoiding decades of conflict and the coming mushroom clouds.
Yeah, purchase. If they had purchased the land they gave to the European Jews in the first place, there wouldn't be such a conflict today.+

-konfusion
PureFodder
+225|6256
Not incendiary bombing Dresden.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Hindsight.

But if France didn't put so much stock in the 'impregnability' of their little line of defense, it would've probably been a bit easier to retake Europe. Additionally, PR contests between Allied generals could've been done away with. Finally, Germany could've been remobilized and, with Allied power, help to take down the Soviet Union and done away with the Cold War altogether.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-03-27 01:35:23)

Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Logistics
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
F1r3f0xx
+3|6541
On the Tokyo question...
The Japanese considered their Emperor as more of a god than a living human being, and an atomic bomb would have ended his life. This would have been a GRAVE mistake as the Japanese would have retaliated with everything they had. Not only that, but most of their government would be dead as well, which would have meant that the Army generals were then in charge, who were FAR more ruthless than before.
So, bombing Tokyo? Big nono
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6800

NemeSiS-Factor wrote:

Why? They surrendered. Surely the best you could hope for from bombing Tokyo is more dead people and they still surrender?

Personally I'd have dropped the first bomb 40 miles off the coast, probably near dusk, then said a radio message saying "Next one gets dropped on a city if you don't surrender."
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina
A headshot to Hitler in 1939?
EVieira
+105|6449|Lutenblaag, Molvania

ATG wrote:

Given the fact that the atomic bomb ushered in 50 years free of major world wide conflict an ended the war I'd say it should have been used sooner.

The League of NAtions could have purchased land deep in Brazil and they could have settled there perhaps avoiding decades of conflict and the coming mushroom clouds.
Why did everybody hate the Jews? Why not just let them be, instead of sending them to Brazil or any other place?
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

Drop the 2 A bombs on Military basses.

Carve a bit of Germany and Austria up for the Jewish Nation.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6445|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Im talking about Germany here..

If they continued to attack the RAF bases they would have won control of the air over the UK and thus Operation Sealion would have taken place, and if Germany did not attack Russia im 100% sure the Axis would have won the war.
Superglueman
+21|6330|The Great South Land

ATG wrote:

after WW2, why wasnt a territory carved for the Jews IN germany...after all, what better place, the germans were in no position to argue and they owed the jews ....rather than just assume someone else's land with no initial conflict
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina

ELITE-UK wrote:

Im talking about Germany here..

If they continued to attack the RAF bases they would have won control of the air over the UK and thus Operation Sealion would have taken place, and if Germany did not attack Russia im 100% sure the Axis would have won the war.
I'm not sure of that.  Let's suppose Hitler didn't invade Russia.  Stalin would have waited for the Axis and the Allies to weaken each other, then he would have invaded Germany.  He couldn't allow Hitler to rule Europe without him.  And of course, Russia would have kicked his ass anyway.  So, we can assume Russia would have ruled Germany and probably the rest of Europe, and the war would have been much longer.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6800

Superglueman wrote:

ATG wrote:

after WW2, why wasnt a territory carved for the Jews IN germany...after all, what better place, the germans were in no position to argue and they owed the jews ....rather than just assume someone else's land with no initial conflict
I guess they learnt their mistakes from the Treaty of Versailles.
twiistaaa
+87|6639|mexico
nothing because any alteration to history would possibly

1. run a risk of me not existing
2. make things worse

like someone else said 20/20 hindsight is great.. but! its only good up until different decisions are made, then you are back to square one (uncharted waters).

"the bomb" was bad but who knows what would happen if it didn't happen at all. the world is fucked up now, but it can be more fucked up so i would rather leave it then do things "better".
herrr_smity
+156|6598|space command ur anus

JahManRed wrote:

Jews in Europe no way
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6501|The lunar module

herrr_smity wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Jews in Europe no way
Care to clarify?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone
Not attacking Russia.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire
Pulled our fingers out of our asses when Germany invaded Poland?
Skorpy-chan
+127|6316|Twyford, UK
Hitler's entire freaking strategy. He was a moron, someone competent in charge and we'd all be speaking German.
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6663|NAS Jacksonville, Florida

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Hindsight.

But if France didn't put so much stock in the 'impregnability' of their little line of defense, it would've probably been a bit easier to retake Europe. Additionally, PR contests between Allied generals could've been done away with. Finally, Germany could've been remobilized and, with Allied power, help to take down the Soviet Union and done away with the Cold War altogether.
I thought Hitler ordered the Magionat (sp) Line to be blown up after he took France.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard