Skorpy-chan
+127|6345|Twyford, UK
End of direct british involvement my ass, Ireland is PART of britain, and will be until it gets carved from the bedrock and floated off eastwards.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6555

Skorpy-chan wrote:

End of direct british involvement my ass, Ireland is PART of britain, and will be until it gets carved from the bedrock and floated off eastwards.
lol. You're a little slow perhaps.

a) Northern Ireland is not part of Britain: Scotland, England and Wales are. Try looking at a map.

b) Within a couple of generations the Republicans/Nationalists will be in the majority, meaning that whether you like it or not Ireland will be reunified. Sweet!!!!
JahManRed
wank
+646|6628|IRELAND

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42728000/jpg/_42728265_newtable.jpg
Paisley got his way and got another 6 weeks. It fills me with hope to see the picture above. Never has these two men been seen so close together in Public. They were in fact singing from the same hymn sheet thankfully, with both their statements basically saying the same thing, from different prospectives.. Not a mention of IRA, so Paisley is in fact recognising that Sinn Fein is no longer the Political wing of the IRA, as they don't exist in that form any more.
Fills me with hope that my kids don't have to live in the divided sectarian country I grew up in.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6742|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
Aye, it's a day of days indeed.  I'm going to make a point of visiting several graves tonight to tell them the news..
Crestfallen
+27|6449|England, Leicester

CameronPoe wrote:

b) Within a couple of generations the Republicans/Nationalists will be in the majority, meaning that whether you like it or not Ireland will be reunified. Sweet!!!!
It should have come a long time ago, but it will be a great day when it finally happens.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6345|Twyford, UK

CameronPoe wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

a) Northern Ireland is not part of Britain: Scotland, England and Wales are. Try looking at a map.
Maybe you should look at the topology instead of just what's above water.

I say ireland SHOULD be made fully independent, so we can declare war and sort the IRA out properly, by having America carpet-bomb cities until they stop blowing themselves up.
Crestfallen

Skorpy-chan wrote:

I say ireland SHOULD be made fully independent, so we can declare war and sort the IRA out properly, by having America carpet-bomb cities until they stop blowing themselves up.
How is going to war with them going to solve anything?  You'd only be repeating even more acts of violence, all Ireland has had for almost a century, even more.  Why not let them have their peace?
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6739|Comber, Northern Ireland

Skorpy-chan wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

you my friend are an idiot
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6290|Éire

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Yes I can see all the American soldiers and politicians of Irish descent going along with that plan. You sound like someone who is still bitter at the fact that the most skilled freedom fighting association the world has known (prior to Al Qaeda-who I actually consider to be terrorists) happened to be at war with your country and refused to lie down and be walked over by your military forces. The war is over and the writing is on the wall, your plantation of the North worked for many years but it is starting to fail, once Nationalists are in the majority it's goodbye to the UK. You can dream up all the military fantasies you like, it won't make any difference.
Toxicseagull
+10|6246|York
give it up already. the english people shouldnt get dragged into this again. the only reason we have to get involved is because ireland and NI's party's just cant agree even though we are funding the whole damn thing and offering incentives to make their mind up.
it is a shame the unionists are there as it stop's the UK giving up a relatively useless piece of land which none of its populace cares about, its a shame the nationalists are there because they will never shut up and they assume they speak for everybody.

and skorpy, you really think that a country that has been funding the terrorists will suddenly turn round and bomb them? ha
Crestfallen

Braddock wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Yes I can see all the American soldiers and politicians of Irish descent going along with that plan. You sound like someone who is still bitter at the fact that the most skilled freedom fighting association the world has known (prior to Al Qaeda-who I actually consider to be terrorists) happened to be at war with your country and refused to lie down and be walked over by your military forces. The war is over and the writing is on the wall, your plantation of the North worked for many years but it is starting to fail, once Nationalists are in the majority it's goodbye to the UK. You can dream up all the military fantasies you like, it won't make any difference.
QFT.  While I don't condone what the IRA have done in the past, I can certainly see why they have done it, and why it may be necessary sometimes for people to go to such measures.  If people want freedom it's their right to be granted it, and no one has the right to take that away from you.  It should not have come to such brutality in the first place.  Hopefully, when the votes are cast, Ireland will be set free by its own people.  I only hope that people will learn from mistakes like this so it won't happen again.

Although being human, I know thats not going to be the case.
Toxicseagull
+10|6246|York
crestfallen, you state it like the whole of Ireland wanted "freedom", are you forgetting the reason why the place was created in the first? it was unionist political party members in the commons and a vote that created NI. a reason why the other two county's weren't added. they had the catholic majority.

on another thought, would you now sympathise and appriecate the motives behind a terrorist attack by iraqi's targeting civilians in the UK??

Last edited by Toxicseagull (2007-03-26 09:19:54)

Crestfallen

Toxicseagull wrote:

crestfallen, you state it like the whole of ireland wanted "freedom", are you forgetting the reason why the place was created in the first? it was unionist political party members in the commons and a vote that created NI. a reason why the other two county's werent added. they had the catholic majority.
True, and no, I realise this, but I also recognise that a great number of Ireland's people would rather have a unified society and state.

EDIT: Only just saw that part, and no, I wouldnt.  This is more in keeping for a new topic entirely.  While you might say that is hypocritical, I did say I could not condone what they had done, but I did recognise why they did it.  In the same way, I recognise why terrorists would want to target the UK, but I don't believe its right.  I could never acknowledge that killing civilians was a viable solution to wanting your freedom.  However I can see why they would do it.

Last edited by Crestfallen (2007-03-26 09:26:09)

Toxicseagull
+10|6246|York
fair enough, it was just a hypothetical question

sure but as a substantial (in some areas) part wanted the union to continue could you blame the UK for acting how it did? splitting the country into how it is today? i see a lot of blame banded about and whilst its easy to head for the "evil oppressor" i think its much more reasonable to look at why it acted the way it did. a large factor of it resolves in my opinoin of the view that the protestants were seen as un-irish, even whilst it had been generations since settlement. they felt threatened as a irish national and asked for seperation. would a country be praised for ignoring this plea and not protecting its citizens by vote?
Crestfallen

Toxicseagull wrote:

sure but as a substantial (in some areas) part wanted the union to continue could you blame the UK for acting how it did? splitting the country into how it is today? i see a lot of blame banded about and whilst its easy to head for the "evil oppressor" i think its much more reasonable to look at why it acted the way it did. a large factor of it resolves in my opinoin of the view that the protestants were seen as un-irish, even whilst it had been generations since settlement. they felt threatened as a irish national and asked for seperation. would a country be praised for ignoring this plea and not protecting its citizens by vote?
Interesting points .  Religion has always played a great part through the conflicts in Ireland, and you are right in that it is all too easy to find one party to blame.  At the time, I do believe that what they did was the right thing, but I can't see that what has happened since then was acceptable to either side.  Over the years, there has been a great deal of unity that has emerged between both sides, as well as a friendship forged.  All that was needed was time, and for views to be accepted with both sides.  I think that it's nice to see a new nation, in some respects, come into being.
Toxicseagull
+10|6246|York
yeh i just wish they would sort it out (pref with paisley falling down a hole). if they cant power share then vote for unification whoever wins gets control with one party in power if it is by a significant margin. hopefully they will sort this all out and i hope england keeps to its deadline, if they dont make it they loose the benefits and if its a certain party refusing to co-operate then they should have no say.
Crestfallen

Toxicseagull wrote:

yeh i just wish they would sort it out (pref with paisley falling down a hole).
Thing's would be so much easier if life were more like cartoons .  Whatever happens though, I do hope that both sides learn from past experiences, so it better aids them in the future.
acsman50
a cut below the rest
+7|6527|Northern Ireland
The same angry voices renew the divide
The same pious voices claim god on their side
But what of the voices of those who have died
Beside the road to nowhere

Yes, I'm pessimistic

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard