Poll

Something needs to change with artillery. Next patch should have...

A longer timer between usage.11%11% - 18
A limited number of uses per round.9%9% - 15
All the above.13%13% - 22
None of the above.65%65% - 104
Total: 159
A=10
+-2|6786|U.K DURHAM
yes i say do away with it ffs do away with commander its like a built in hack if ya ask me scan radar hmm go back to good old mlrs get the scuds out makes for better game play
thinner44
+1|6809
Do away with arty all together.... do away with the all seeing eye of commander. No offence to any commanders out there, this is just an opinion. What would it be like with no arty at all and troops having to spot the enemy for each other while taking a flag.... a proper firefight ensues without the threat of us all being obliterated by arty (from any direction). That would be much more realistic .

I spent the whole round on 'surge' once, being SpecOps and having a support guy with me. We continously demolished the enemy arty after our guys were being 'owned' by the enemy commander. I was there for ages and even killed the odd engy that decided to have a go at repair. We turned the game from looking like a loss to an outright win.

Like I say, no offence to commanders, it's an important job and can be very rewarding
Cr33d0
+0|6727
I was just thinking about something, and I may be thinking along the lines of something that was used in RTCW. What if commander was made to be more of an active player like everyone else and he had to call for artillery with his binoculars onto a target? Maybe this way his cowardly ass wouldnt be hideing in a building or out in the sticks.....

I dunno.. maybe I am just longing for the BF1942 days where things seemed to take more skill.
staticblue
Vindicator
+28|6735|Houston, TX
Without artillery no one would care to command. If you don't like it. C4 it. When they fix it with supplies. Get more C4 and blow it up again. Art is fun on either end. Ya just have to find cover.
uk.solidsnake
+3|6707|England, UK
The only thing that bugs me about arty is the splash damage, I've been sat in a building, bunker or one of those weird sandbag tower outpost things thinking I'm safe, and I couldn't be more wrong, arty hits nearby and I'm mysteriously fragged through walls.

Fun.
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6684

FromTheAshes wrote:

LMAO! arty is so easy to not get hit by, just as soon as you hear the "WEOOOOOOW" before it hits, RUN into the nearest cover you have and go prone intill its over, i've done this many times in huge firefights and not die.
MUCH easier said than done.  Artillary survival rate (when out in the open) is about 10%.

I think that if you get killed from artillary, you don't deserve a death on your stats, since there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to prevent it.  No matter how good you are, you will always die in artillary.  I think that 5 seconds before artillary is going to hit, your commander should be able to spot it out, and it should appear on your radar.

Last edited by Sh4rkb1t3 (2006-01-14 19:05:27)

DJDevilMaster
+0|6683|Wales, UK
I think that EA should;

A.  Instigate a longer reload time for artillery strikes.  It seems to come down every 20 seconds or so.  I don't mind it but it gets a little grating when it's constantly coming down

or;

B.  Set it up so that the cannons need to be reloaded manually by an engineer/support guy.

plus;

C.  Stop the stupid "supply crate lands on artillery and it fixes itself bullcrap".  Once it's broken, it's broken.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6679
Here's my 2 cents . I don't mind the artillery too much but my number one problem with it is this . Artillery shouldn't come down all at once .  In RL infantry call in artillery . They call in one shell and adjust from there and then call fire for effect - that's when it all comes down . This way you have a few seconds to get the hell out of the area . I like the Idea of having to manually reload it , that's a great idea . But I'm not so hot on once it's out it's out . Then Special forces really wouldn't have much of a purpose if you apply this to the radar and scan as well . I love to base rape and keep all the enemy assests down the whole game . Would suck to just have to do my job once then that's it . No points then .
DJDevilMaster
+0|6683|Wales, UK
Actually I meant it more to the point that it would need to be fixed by engineers, not by a box falling on top of it to repair it as if by magic.

Obviously in real life you'd need a crew manning the guns at all times (obviously since they don't fire by themselves), so a good sabotage tactic would be to take out the gunnery crew.  Although I could see this leading to each team just constantly shelling their enemy's arty sites to kill the crews.
=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6832
wooow I almost made a topic about this. good thing I searched, I might of been castrated.

[2cents]
Anyhow, I've been seriously getting FED UP with Artillary. My opinion is, it should still be in the game, but only be able to launch every 5 minutes. every minute/30 seconds is just crazy. if I'm not getting TKed by my commander's arty, I'm being killed with the enemy's. Now think about it. that's 2 arty strikes every minute. I also think the TK should be back for arty. Commander's have gotten so careless, and we just lose more and more tickets.

[/2cents]
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6698|NCFSU2
As I have said before, be glad it doesn't have a sustained rate of fire as in the real world. Again, as I have said before, the splash damage should be increased and material penetration should be in effect for 155mm rounds. NOTHING on the battlefield can withstand that kind of heavy ordinance, believe me, I know.

Give arty better damage and a round selection!!!

Oorah killers.

Last edited by DeadboyUSMC (2006-01-25 22:26:04)

=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6832

DeadboyUSMC wrote:

As I have said before, be glad it doesn't have a sustained rate of fire as in the real world. Again, as I have said before, the splash damage should be increased and material penetration should be in effect for 155mm rounds. NOTHING on the battlefield can withstand that kind of heavy ordinance, believe me, I know.

Oorah killers.
Wanna play that way?
I want  my tank shells to hit a BH once and make a huge whole in it and see the chopper come crashing down. I want to see my pistol seriously wound a guy/ if not kill him when I shoot him ONCE in the chest. I want to see my .50 cal sniper bullet completely rip a guy's head off.
ComradeWho
+50|6694|Southern California
nothing wrong with the arty in my opinion
i think it's good.
if i was gonna suggest any tweak i'd just suggest making a direct shell hit do more damage to a tank or apc.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6748|Mark it zero.
get a big squad of spec ops so you can keep blowing it over and over again and kill whatever comes at you
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6792
Artillery is fine as it is, as many have said already.

There's a couple of changes that would make it better - currently you get a big red warning sticker on the main map and minimap when your commander launches artillery.  However, this doesn't show on the spawn map, so you could quite easily spawn into an artillery strike if you're going to a place far away from where you died.

Secondly, if you see enemy artillery coming down on somewhere close to you, it'd be nice to spot it: "Incoming!!" and have a similar artillery logo appear on your team's maps.

But if you're complaining the your own commander is using artillery too much, they must be a n00b.  Nobody gets points for artillery kills but commanders do get points for their squaddies getting kills.

If your team is owning, you've got the enemy cornered on one flag, leave your boys to finish them off.  You'll get points and so will they and a guaranteed win.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6679
I would like to see Karkand with nothing but infantry . Nothing else , just troops no nothin . That would rock .
0ktane
Negative Ping
+55|6766|Arizona
I really think this is funny.  There's always somethin for someone to bitch about in this game...and now arty is the subject at hand.  Nothin is wrong with it in my opinion.  Arty strikes have saved me numerous times, and if you see one in your area...just get outta the way.  Sure, it can be annoying at times, but what isn't in this game.  What about those times when you notice your flag gettin taken, you are a medic, you book it to that flag only to see a tank there takin the point.  You all alone, with not much of anythin to do damage.  Gonna shock paddle it to death?  Times like that, ppl should be grateful for arty strikes.  They are part of the game...have been since the beginning. 
Can't wait to see what ppl bitch about next...why there are no female modeled medics in the game?
1234BGD
+1|6749
Maybe arty should have ammo - like when u run out of ammo, u need to reload it... it would make the game more realistic. So apart from the "energy" bar, maybe there should be an ammo bar for arty?! So if u want to arty frequently u gotta have some support by it all the time....
Big_Fat_Panda
+8|6667|Iceland
Artillary teamkills are not commanders fault. It's the idiot who ran into it. Like everybody knows.

But there are commanders who see blue dots defending a flag and no red dots in 500 meter radius. And they send artillary. Why? Maybe they are colorblind. (Sorry to those who are actually colorblind and have not made this mistake    Most likely they are just stupid, not colorblind.

But Battlefield is a simulator. They are trying to simulate a real battle, some things are not real enaugh and they are trying to improve it. Those things that are not realistic were done to make the game fair.

I have nothing against artillary. In a real life battle, if I was pinned down on some bridge with enemy fire combing my hair and my squad, I would ask for artillary "support", to clear my way.

I look at artillary as support fire if all defences are down. And often when I'm commander no body does what I say. Then artillary is the only thing I have left to hold the flags.

And remember, run AWAY from big red sign on radar, NOT towards it.
Sharky1DK__
+0|6666|Denmark
A nice addition to arty would be the precision bomb drop. Instead of a barrage; one big bomb, right where you want it. [as Evillbill] wrote   YES....

But again ARTY can bee werry helpful..
Sh4rkb1t3
+6|6684
I think that there should be some sort of artillery commander.  He sets the angle (up and down) of the cannon, the direction it points at, and the amount of power to shoot the artillary shells into the air with.  He gets points for hitting the target that the commander points out, and for killing people.  And he could fire test shells and stuff too (you couldn't fire test shells all the time though, it would have to recharge like UVA or Supplies).  He would also have to manually reload each cannon.    This would add some sort of skill to using artillery.
Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier
+2|6777|Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
On the whole, arty is a very good and unique feature to this Battlefield sequel. It should stay. With that said there are only two adjustments I'd recommend.

1. I agree with DJDevilMaster that supply boxes should not repair the arty. Those boxes are great for helping out vehicles and infantry, but commanders should not have the ability to repair the assets without being able to establish some sort of a ground presence. (I wish I had a magic box that I could just drop on stuff from miles away and fix stuff.)

2. Arty time should be longer than vehcile spawn time. My best example is Gulf of Oman. If USMC commander catches the planes on the ground even once, he can atry them for the rest of the round if he is attentive because planes can't move anywhere before the next strike.
sheggalism
+16|6741|France
NO MORE STUPID AUTOMATIC ARTILLERY ! I want self-propelled guns and towed mortars !
general_rookie
Get off my lawn, whippersnapper!!
+6|6695
I kinda agree.  drop artillery, and give support class mortars.  maybe the commander could call in air strikes by planes instead.
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6698|NCFSU2

=[4th]=SlayThem wrote:

DeadboyUSMC wrote:

Oorah killers.
Wanna play that way?
I want  my tank shells to hit a BH once and make a huge whole in it and see the chopper come crashing down. I want to see my pistol seriously wound a guy/ if not kill him when I shoot him ONCE in the chest. I want to see my .50 cal sniper bullet completely rip a guy's head off.
Your welcome to your own opinion bucko.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard