G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6597|Sea to globally-cooled sea
I'm originally from 05 as well, and i took a long break from BF2s simply because i didn't have time.

I'm still conservative, and very proud of it.  However, I enjoy learning about other people's opinions, and i like to understand why people legitimately feel differently about a topic.  I've learned how to compose well-thought and structured responses that remain logically sound and are easy to understand.

I am proud of my opinions, and I enjoy sharing them.  DST has given me a place to enjoy discussions that spark my interest and challenge my intellect.

while I'm here, thank you all for giving me a place to contribute
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6498|Belgium

DST has showed me that:
-no matter how many arguments you give, there is always a conspiracy theory
-no matter what subject it is, it always ends with bush and America

I also learned that many people have so little information about some subjects that they rarely know what they are talking about.

But I got to admit that there are a few good discussions in d&st
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6710
Well I have now learnt to ignore the moronic closed minded people and not let their posts bother me and just to take it with a pinch of salt.

Also whatever is wrote on here in the great scheme of things mean absolutely nothing, so now I just enjoy this section for the clever and intelligent posts.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6800
I've certainly learned alot by reading other peoples posts and researching my own arguements.

I've also learnt that no matter how overwhelmingly right an arguement is, many people will never accept that they are wrong.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

usmarine2007 wrote:

I am still an asshole.

/win
Yes you are. And we'd hate to think we could take that away from you.

CameronPoe wrote:

The best thing about D&ST is that it exposes you to people who you don't agree with, people whose views you might not ordinarily hear (or ever hear) in your everyday life. That can only be a good thing, a healthy thing. It isn't healthy to go through life on this earth only listening to voices of agreement.
Exactly. That's one of the things I really like about it here, which I haven't found in many other places.

deeznutz1245 wrote:

I have learned nothing. I do, however, have a great desire to know what Bubbalo looks like. It really annoys me. I picture this fucking penguin in my head when I get pissed off at work or whatever and I wonder what he looks lke. Any guesses? For some reason I picture constant bedhead.
I'll see if I still have the picture somewhere. He may possibly have Brian Peppers head stuck on him, so I guess that doesn't help you too much..

paranoid101 wrote:

Well I have now learnt to ignore the moronic closed minded people and not let their posts bother me and just to take it with a pinch of salt.

Also whatever is wrote on here in the great scheme of things mean absolutely nothing, so now I just enjoy this section for the clever and intelligent posts.
Yup, that's pretty much how I feel about some of this stuff. Back in the bad old days of being a noob, some of the crap posted in here really bothered me, especially their close mindedness. Now, either people have got less stupid, or I've got more tolerant.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6716

lowing wrote:

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

After posting here several times, I learned that it is not worth my time, and everytime I open DST to peer at what heresay and idiotic opinions are being vented, I shudder and wish I knew better then to click each enticing title.

It is like people here don't understand black and white is a fallacy - e.g. a common ground, a common understanding can be reached. Debate is not simply refusing to admit anything into evidence and venting one's own opinion no matter what opposition is present. That is called being stubborn and ignorant. There is actually very little debate that goes on here.

Most people come in with an opinion and then source out bogus material on some random uncredited, academically bogus website to support their theories, if they even do that. Then someone else says, zomg wtf!! your full of shit, here is my opinion and because it's my opinion I don't have to listen with yours! More people add their opinions like throwing books on a fire, and none of the new posters bother to read what anyone else has said.

Then a flame war ensues, and no doubt someone brings up someones "credentials," as if anyone here has any. Then someone posts some lolcats pictures, and somebody else says "inb4dalock." Now the thread is completely derailed and the next hot topic is brought up and destroyed with more ignorant cess then you can shake your head at.

Also, everyone assumes a counter-argument to someones original argument must be a personal attack, and everyone breaks out the sarcastic remarks and insults in riposte. It's like trying to have a debate with pre-school kids who just want to fight over who gets to play with the wooden blocks first.

Thus, posting anything in DST is simply not worth the time. Reading it however, will teach you how many semi-literate people there can be in the world and will raise some interesting questions, such as "how can these people feed themselves?" etc.  I'm pretty sure these parting remarks fit right in with the flamewar that is DST
My personal favorites are people like this, who basically have all the answers to all the worlds problems but think they are above sharing them and will just let us "idiots" ramble on.

I also note his karma. Not bad for someone who doesn't post here because it is a waste of your time.
Funny, you are the top person on my list of ignorant people unwilling to debate anything. Amusing how you evidently share my feelings yet I have barely touched your precious DST posts.

I have karma because I wrote an article for the strategies section which moved to the wiki later on. I have been @ bf2s for a very long time and I used to post here pretty regularly with the old boys...but the forums have degraded over time to the point that I find myself answering people like you, who really don't need an answer because you have let your ideas set in concrete long ago. All we need to do is look at any of your hundreds of DST posts...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've changed in no way. My opinions are still set in partially-malleable stone.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Same here for the most part.  I am still a cantakerous secular humanist hell bent on starting a revolution.

I am a little more rational, though I tend to believe that has come with age as opposed to reading a video game websites D&ST section.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6513|Texas - Bigger than France
I've learned that no one is always:
right or wrong
smart or idiotic
serious or sarcastic
baiting or believable
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6642|UK
Hasn't changed me whatsover.  I only come here as i like to read how some of our resident members debating brains work....and remain amazed at how deluded some people are.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
topal63
. . .
+533|6689
How Has DST Changed You?
Well I would say it is the whole community BF2S, certainly not just D & ST, that has been a positive influence...

I enjoy the other sections as well... even though I read more of the junk drawer, than post in junk drawer. Also people constantly point me towards items of interest (their interests; not mine); that entertain and even on occasion enlighten me, that I otherwise would not have searched-out for on my own.

As far as the so-called D & ST cess-pool issue goes (in reference to opinions - the asshole everyone has):
As far as opinions go, I don’t possess one in a traditional sense. Whatever is the best argument and is backed-up by reason and/or fact is what I will favor, and that can be overturned in a micro-second by a better argument (of course backed-up by reasons and/or facts).

So on the whole:
1. Exposure to new ideas (or different ideas).
2. Exposure to people from around the world (and that on a daily basis).
3. & Glorious disagreements (that well, may go somewhere you never intended, or could foresee)!

How can any of that not be positive (at least on some level for everyone)!

Last edited by topal63 (2007-03-22 13:36:27)

jonsimon
+224|6466
DS&T has shown me just how stupid the average person is.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Same here for the most part.  I am still a cantakerous secular humanist hell bent on starting a revolution.

I am a little more rational, though I tend to believe that has come with age as opposed to reading a video game websites D&ST section.
Beyond brain chemistry, experience and innate intelligence are primary determining factors as far as rationality is concerned. I mock anyone (no, not specifically directing this at anyone) who thinks that being middle-aged and working at some dead-end job makes them somehow better at argument than an adolescent (granted, it may be true in many cases, but there are exceptions).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-03-22 13:43:27)

PluggedValve
+17|6311
I havn't had my opinion "switched" outright, but i have had my opinion evolve on some subjects.  I have had some good debates with ATG and USMARINE2007 and although our opinions are very different on alot of topics i felt we both read each others posts and actually "thought" about them before replying.  Theres others too but these guys stand out in my mind as having strong opinions but replying with well thought posts (maybe some flame here or there but i got thick skin).  If there are stupid posts (lots of em) i still read it before i judge it.  And if it is just flames i just ignore it.  Who cares if some guy on th ether side of the country or world disagrees.  To me its about understanding people and the way they think.  It helps put the news in perspective.  (although i only watch mainstream news to pick it apart mostly).
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

lowing wrote:

After posting here several times, I learned that it is not worth my time, and everytime I open DST to peer at what heresay and idiotic opinions are being vented, I shudder and wish I knew better then to click each enticing title.

It is like people here don't understand black and white is a fallacy - e.g. a common ground, a common understanding can be reached. Debate is not simply refusing to admit anything into evidence and venting one's own opinion no matter what opposition is present. That is called being stubborn and ignorant. There is actually very little debate that goes on here.

Most people come in with an opinion and then source out bogus material on some random uncredited, academically bogus website to support their theories, if they even do that. Then someone else says, zomg wtf!! your full of shit, here is my opinion and because it's my opinion I don't have to listen with yours! More people add their opinions like throwing books on a fire, and none of the new posters bother to read what anyone else has said.

Then a flame war ensues, and no doubt someone brings up someones "credentials," as if anyone here has any. Then someone posts some lolcats pictures, and somebody else says "inb4dalock." Now the thread is completely derailed and the next hot topic is brought up and destroyed with more ignorant cess then you can shake your head at.

Also, everyone assumes a counter-argument to someones original argument must be a personal attack, and everyone breaks out the sarcastic remarks and insults in riposte. It's like trying to have a debate with pre-school kids who just want to fight over who gets to play with the wooden blocks first.

Thus, posting anything in DST is simply not worth the time. Reading it however, will teach you how many semi-literate people there can be in the world and will raise some interesting questions, such as "how can these people feed themselves?" etc.  I'm pretty sure these parting remarks fit right in with the flamewar that is DST
My personal favorites are people like this, who basically have all the answers to all the worlds problems but think they are above sharing them and will just let us "idiots" ramble on.

I also note his karma. Not bad for someone who doesn't post here because it is a waste of your time.
Funny, you are the top person on my list of ignorant people unwilling to debate anything. Amusing how you evidently share my feelings yet I have barely touched your precious DST posts.

I have karma because I wrote an article for the strategies section which moved to the wiki later on. I have been @ bf2s for a very long time and I used to post here pretty regularly with the old boys...but the forums have degraded over time to the point that I find myself answering people like you, who really don't need an answer because you have let your ideas set in concrete long ago. All we need to do is look at any of your hundreds of DST posts...
I am very willing to debate anything you want. I have never run from a debate. The problem is, too many people on here ( apparently such as yourself ) think that because I don't agree with them and their argument does not convince me they are right, that I am not listening, and I am closed minded. Actually I am open minded I am listening and I am ready to be convinced. Just don't get pissed at me if your arguments can't do the job.

I don't remember seeing your name before this thread, so if my posts actually made you run away from the forums and not post responses, you need to re-evaluate who refuses to listen or who is close minded.

also let me add: you don't see my posts all dolled up with sigs and quotes and certainly not my game stats. So I think it is safe to assume I don't really consider my posts "precious" or worth special attention by you or anyone else. I simply speak my mind, if someone wants to respond to it fine, if they do not that is also fine. Just like you reading this. Although I know you have read it, if you want to ignore it you are more than welcome to. Bottom line is, however, you read it.

Last edited by lowing (2007-03-22 19:05:35)

[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6716

lowing wrote:

lowing wrote:

I am very willing to debate anything you want. I have never run from a debate. The problem is, too many people on here ( apparently such as yourself ) think that because I don't agree with them and their argument does not convince me they are right, that I am not listening, and I am closed minded. Actually I am open minded I am listening and I am ready to be convinced. Just don't get pissed at me if your arguments can't do the job.

I don't remember seeing your name before this thread, so if my posts actually made you run away from the forums and not post responses, you need to re-evaluate who refuses to listen or who is close minded.

also let me add: you don't see my posts all dolled up with sigs and quotes and certainly not my game stats. So I think it is safe to assume I don't really consider my posts "precious" or worth special attention by you or anyone else. I simply speak my mind, if someone wants to respond to it fine, if they do not that is also fine. Just like you reading this. Although I know you have read it, if you want to ignore it you are more than welcome to. Bottom line is, however, you read it.
Want a jump to conclusions mat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

lowing wrote:

I thought as much
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6716

lowing wrote:

lowing wrote:

I thought as much
No, you didn't even try to think.

I will let anyone reading this thread be the judge; just because you say something, does not imply that it is true. Given how easily you grab at straws to judge several things about me, it is no suprise people, myself included, think you are incapable of debate.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
I think DST has made me more cynical, but that was probably inevitable.  I enjoy it though....
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command

ghettoperson wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

I am still an asshole.

/win
Yes you are. And we'd hate to think we could take that away from you.

CameronPoe wrote:

The best thing about D&ST is that it exposes you to people who you don't agree with, people whose views you might not ordinarily hear (or ever hear) in your everyday life. That can only be a good thing, a healthy thing. It isn't healthy to go through life on this earth only listening to voices of agreement.
Exactly. That's one of the things I really like about it here, which I haven't found in many other places.

deeznutz1245 wrote:

I have learned nothing. I do, however, have a great desire to know what Bubbalo looks like. It really annoys me. I picture this fucking penguin in my head when I get pissed off at work or whatever and I wonder what he looks lke. Any guesses? For some reason I picture constant bedhead.
I'll see if I still have the picture somewhere. He may possibly have Brian Peppers head stuck on him, so I guess that doesn't help you too much..

paranoid101 wrote:

Yup, that's pretty much how I feel about some of this stuff. Back in the bad old days of being a noob, some of the crap posted in here really bothered me, especially their close mindedness. Now, either people have got less stupid, or I've got more tolerant.
More tolerant.
Certainly.
l41e
+677|6619

I've become more cynical.

On the plus side, I've become more open-minded.
d.cripz
+29|6380
i realized how much i dislike people and every thing that belongs to them.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6617

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Everyone is so damn one sided.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command

lowing wrote:

So, gtfo.

It will not matter if you go.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616
I'm even more close minded now then when I first joined damn Forums they do that to you

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard