devildogfo
+32|6341|Camp Lejeune
Why is it that mod's jump so fast on closing a thread while at the same time we have rediculous threads like "Rate the sig above you" that is some 3000 posts. I wasn't aware heated debate was against forum rules. I know this is mostly teenagers with oversized egos, but let's just pretend we're all adults here. If someone gets flamed for being a retard, let him deal with it. If he gets flamed by a retard, let him realize on his own that its a retard. Swooping in to close the thread while there are still other users with an intelligent debate going on is not appropriate. Idea: Is it possible to bar individuals from a thread? If two idiots are flaming each other, can you just "ban" them from the thread? Now just waiting for the irony of this thread to be closed...
Fen321
+54|6516|Singularity
=d

D=
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6649|New Hampshire, USA
https://tartalacreme.photo.doctissimo.fr/images/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/smiley-boire-manger/TN_8875.gif
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
jsnipy
+3,276|6541|...

They close threads that do not add value. flaming!=debate

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-03-20 21:00:52)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6544|South Florida
in b4 da lok

But, yes i do see that they close posts a lot. Oh well. Theres always another post to thrive on
15 more years! 15 more years!
devildogfo
+32|6341|Camp Lejeune

jsnipy wrote:

They close threads that do not add value. flaming!=debate
Nice C reference. Im not saying that threads should never be closed, there is definately heavy retardation out there. And I never said flaming = debate. I said debate was happening at the same time of flaming. Thus my suggestion to ban the particular person from the specific thread instead of closing it (dont know if their software allows it). Still, the question remains, why is pointless banter which does NOT add value remain (rate the sig above you, how well known are you, anything that has "zomgz" in it) while a thread that has a flame in it is closed? Are you trying to save their feelings?
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6657|Montreal, Qc, Canada
this will finish as close ... chek it out lool
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

PM a mod.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
devildogfo
+32|6341|Camp Lejeune

Kmarion wrote:

PM a mod.
As in ask an individual mod instead of putting this up for general discussion?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

devildogfo wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

PM a mod.
No, as in they can explain what rules were broke.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
devildogfo
+32|6341|Camp Lejeune

Kmarion wrote:

devildogfo wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

PM a mod.
No, as in they can explain what rules were broke.
Well the mod said something along the lines as "if you flame him i will close it." Well the person a said person b was a close minded flaming liberal something something and what not, so it was closed. Yes my post refers to that, but its more about flaming in general, reaction to flaming, and how I often see interesting posts closed for petty reasons while the "karma me ill karma you back" type posts thrive.

Of course I dont expect anything to really change, nor am I all that interested in the outcome. Just throwing my thoughts on the matter out there and curious to see others' reactions.

Just had an interesting thought, based on the general political climate in here, if a person was accused of being a closed minded flaming republican whatever whatever, if it wouldve been closed just as fast. Heh. Which reminds me of another thought, if I add "I hate bush, etc" to my sig, that will win over the vast majority of the forum, and then i can say anything i want! <shrug>
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

devildogfo wrote:

Just had an interesting thought, based on the general political climate in here, if a person was accused of being a closed minded flaming republican whatever whatever, if it wouldve been closed just as fast. Heh. Which reminds me of another thought, if I add "I hate bush, etc" to my sig, that will win over the vast majority of the forum, and then i can say anything i want! <shrug>
Hey if you really want to be unpopular put "American by the grace of God" ..lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6548|Global Command
Noobs complaininghttps://i19.tinypic.com/2zi9f6w.gif
devildogfo
+32|6341|Camp Lejeune

ATG wrote:

Noobs complaininghttp://i19.tinypic.com/2zi9f6w.gif
You're right. I was out of line. Ill never challenge the senior nerds of the forum again.

Hehe and I just gotta say, "noob" and the rest of the "hax0r" talk never fails to crack me up.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6793|Noizyland

As a moderator myself I have not made one decision which has been ideal for absoloutly everybody. Thankfully people generally get over it instead of making threads to complain.
You're a new member here devildogfo, so forgive me for spelling it out, but we use our judgement to run this site in a generally friendly way - a tough job belive me. Our decisions are not always perfect and nor are our options, but we do the best we can. If you don't like it, then you're free to not bother with us and leave.

We get our fair share of flak though, check out my 'two favourite threads' if you don't believe me.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6765|The United Center
If there is only an instance or two of flaming in a thread, then I will warn the flamers and leave the thread open.  If the entire thread turns into a giant flamewar, then quite obviously I will close it.

I fail to see why you think I should close the "rate the sig above you" thread.

No, it is not possible to bar individual users from individual threads. 

As for your last comment, I will never close, delete, warn, ban, or do anything of that nature because of someone posting an opinion, provided that opinion follows the rules of the forum.  Look at ATG's sig for example.  Do you see him getting warned or banned for it?  Like I said, it's his opinion and as long as he's not going around saying "All BF2s liberals are retarded and deserve to die", I haven't a problem with it.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6457|King Of The Islands

You guys don't moderate much, do you?

Their job volunteer work means they keep the Forums clean, organised and civil.

Basically the forum is:
Flaming = bad rep.
Stupid threads = not uptight cunts.

If everyone got flamed for everything they said, no-one would post anymore, likewise if we weren't aloud stupid threads. Its a very precise balance. It takes a gentle touch. Like a safecracker, or a pickpocket.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6693|Canberra, AUS

Cheez wrote:

You guys don't moderate much, do you?

Their job volunteer work means they keep the Forums clean, organised and civil.

Basically the forum is:
Flaming = bad rep.
Stupid threads = not uptight cunts.

If everyone got flamed for everything they said, no-one would post anymore, likewise if we weren't aloud stupid threads. Its a very precise balance. It takes a gentle touch. Like a safecracker, or a pickpocket.
All hail intelligence.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
devildogfo
+32|6341|Camp Lejeune
Apparently my suggestion and opinions of flaming are being taken personally. Im sure you all are great moderators and fabulous people.

I have been looking at these forums for nearly a year and posting for a couple months. I was not aware this had an impact on the weight of my posts. Do not expect me to be trying win some popularity contest, acceptance, or rite of passage. I will not be here two years from now talking down to people that have been registered < a year.  I look at these forums now and then for similar interests and sometimes (emphasis there) some good debate.

And to cut some assumptions short, I was not part of said flaming, I was merely observing. I am not complaining, I am commenting and submitting solutions.

I have plenty else but as the saying goes, dont wrestle in the mud with the hog...

Close away.
(heh)
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

Noobs complaininghttp://i19.tinypic.com/2zi9f6w.gif
Bully...(looks for ATG's picture and photoshop)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6548|Global Command

ThomasMorgan wrote:

If there is only an instance or two of flaming in a thread, then I will warn the flamers and leave the thread open.  If the entire thread turns into a giant flamewar, then quite obviously I will close it.

As for your last comment, I will never close, delete, warn, ban, or do anything of that nature because of someone posting an opinion, provided that opinion follows the rules of the forum.  Look at ATG's sig for example.  Do you see him getting warned or banned for it?  Like I said, it's his opinion and as long as he's not going around saying "All BF2s liberals are retarded and deserve to die", I haven't a problem with it.
Hey, whats wrong with my sig?
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6511|Connecticut

ATG wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Hey, whats wrong with my sig?
It changes more frequently a teenage girls MySpace page.
Malloy must go
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6424|NSW, Australia

can a mod close this thread just for irony?
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6765|The United Center

<<<FTDM>>>Gen.Raven wrote:

can a mod close this thread just for irony?
I thought about it, especially since there was another thread made just like it not too long ago.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=66900
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6790|PNW

devildogfo wrote:

Why is it that mod's jump so fast on closing a thread while at the same time we have rediculous threads like "Rate the sig above you" that is some 3000 posts. I wasn't aware heated debate was against forum rules. I know this is mostly teenagers with oversized egos, but let's just pretend we're all adults here. If someone gets flamed for being a retard, let him deal with it. If he gets flamed by a retard, let him realize on his own that its a retard. Swooping in to close the thread while there are still other users with an intelligent debate going on is not appropriate. Idea: Is it possible to bar individuals from a thread? If two idiots are flaming each other, can you just "ban" them from the thread? Now just waiting for the irony of this thread to be closed...
1. "Rate the sig" isn't in this part of the forums.
2. The mods like to help keep things civil, and have every right to shut down or move threads that are completely irrelevant to the area they are in.
3. Scootching through countless layers of spam and flames is annoying, even for "adults." But come on, admit it: we're all here on a video game forum because we have some level of juvenile behavior clinging to our brain. We're all one step closer to the extinction of the stuffy old curmudgeon.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-03-21 03:03:37)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard