Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

It is because of our size and wealth that we have ourselves spread throughout the world. Do you honestly think that the average American would not like to sit back and remain unengaged while someone else protected us and our global interest? Europe's current role of pacifist was enabled under America's protection of the Cold war. They have been allowed to get away with minimal chores. Too many do not understand that freedom has a price at times and can not be purchased with appeasement. What I can't understand is with all the comforting Europe gives to itself in telling us the US is full of lies, ignorance, violence, crudeness, naivety, degeneration, and the clumsiness of our pathetic mediocrities. How could the USA have become the most richest, powerful, and advanced country in the world? We have our problems of course, especially in recent years. But understand our role in the world is not always by choice. Don't forget that these are our Brothers, Sisters, Mothers, and Fathers that are away from us and dieing. Governments can lead their people in the wrong direction. But our society has shown us in our short history as a nation that the people are able to make choices, and regain our direction based on our values.
It is true that our size is what somewhat obligates us to take a forceful role in the world.  Yet, it's not a simple choice between war and appeasement.  Becoming less economically dependent on a particular region is often the best choice.  If we move away from Middle Eastern oil, then the actions of Islamists will be mostly of no consequence to us.  We'll just need to improve our domestic security.

We became as powerful as we are now through a combination of factors, but a significant portion of them weren't exactly virtuous.  We did rather recklessly support anyone willing to fight the Russians during a lot of the Cold War.  We did put our military interests above human rights interests in many cases as well.

Still, I would agree that a significant portion of the criticism we receive is excessive or hypocritical on the part of the countries it comes from.  For example, France has behaved in similar ways to us in certain areas of Africa and Southeast Asia.  Some European states have no right to call us imperialist because of their own imperialist tendencies.
Turquoise
O Canada

Pierre wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I know why he cut them. His predecessor took step to reduce it to a lower level following the cold war. However Clinton overdid it and continued to reduce it below acceptable/effective levels. I of course am for a strong economy but security comes first. Without good intelligence none of your enemy's or threats are clear. I guess Americans should ask if we were not giving billions in aide to Israel maybe we could have maintained our intelligence and saved a few thousand of our citizens. Those questions are rarely asked. Do they really need 2.4 billion a year to tear down houses in Palestine?
Good question. Americans should ask why so much aid is given to Israel. I guess AIPAC might be one of the reasons why so much aid is given, and why such questions are not asked.

Back on topic: Bill clearly made a mistake cutting the budgets of the services too much, but to defend him a little, the threat of international non-state-sponsored terrorism was really small in those days, all eyes were focussed on major countries such as Lybia, or major groups such as Fatah or Hamas, and imo Al Qaida was only beginning to rise. But you're right, the bombings of the Cole and the African embassy should have made it clear there was a new danger lurking.
AIPAC and the Project for the New American Century are the primary contributors to the military industrial complex's influence over our government.

On the one hand, Clinton neutered our intelligence agencies, but on the other hand, Bush has spent way too much on the military.

We need a leader who clearly understands how intelligence agencies operate but does not throw so much money at the military.  This leader would also need to keep us out of war unless it is absolutely necessary.  Necessary would be defined in a much more restricted way than Cheney's definition, btw.
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi wrote:

The cold war....I beleive european nations did their share of "combat" against the "very damgerous" Russia...but US did the biggest part...becuase europe didn´t feel threatened like the US did as a superpower...it was a cold war for controlling the world and the economy and the US won it.

I can see the resemblance with the current war on terror, war is buisness and earns money...that´s one of the reasons US is always at war and have one of the biggest fighting forces in the world. Fear is good for controlling the masses and keep their minds on other things.
How did the cold war earn money? No land was taken and no markets were changed. The Soviet Union never competed with the US economically. The US will never regain the amount of money it has dumped into Iraq. We have a majority in Congress trying to pull the troops out of Iraq.
Military industries made a shitload of money.  The illegal arms industry is humungous nowadays as well.

It's not about the country making a lot of money, it's about the military industrial complex making excessive amounts of money at the expense of taxpayers.

If we can throw $400 billion at war in a space of a few years, there is no logical reason why our inner cities should be decaying.  We obviously have the money to minimize poverty in America; we just need the will.

Instead, we'd rather blow up brown people.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6365|Columbus, Ohio

Turquoise wrote:

And they would like to blow us up.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine2007 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

And they would like to blow us up.
Touche'...  but that's what domestic security is for.

I'll be blunt here...  if it were possible to just find all terrorists and kill them, I would support our efforts in doing so.

However, the reality of the situation is that the more we intervene, the easier it becomes for extremists to twist the situation in their favor.  Until these countries make a totally internal effort to eliminate extremism, our efforts will mostly be perceived as imperialist.

We kill thousands of terrorists in Iraq, but in the process, life becomes a living hell for the average Iraqi.  As they become more desperate and pissed off, they become more likely to join the extremists themselves.  It's a vicious cycle...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

It is because of our size and wealth that we have ourselves spread throughout the world. Do you honestly think that the average American would not like to sit back and remain unengaged while someone else protected us and our global interest? Europe's current role of pacifist was enabled under America's protection of the Cold war. They have been allowed to get away with minimal chores. Too many do not understand that freedom has a price at times and can not be purchased with appeasement. What I can't understand is with all the comforting Europe gives to itself in telling us the US is full of lies, ignorance, violence, crudeness, naivety, degeneration, and the clumsiness of our pathetic mediocrities. How could the USA have become the most richest, powerful, and advanced country in the world? We have our problems of course, especially in recent years. But understand our role in the world is not always by choice. Don't forget that these are our Brothers, Sisters, Mothers, and Fathers that are away from us and dieing. Governments can lead their people in the wrong direction. But our society has shown us in our short history as a nation that the people are able to make choices, and regain our direction based on our values.
It is true that our size is what somewhat obligates us to take a forceful role in the world.  Yet, it's not a simple choice between war and appeasement.  Becoming less economically dependent on a particular region is often the best choice.  If we move away from Middle Eastern oil, then the actions of Islam will be mostly of no consequence to us.  We'll just need to improve our domestic security.

We became as powerful as we are now through a combination of factors, but a significant portion of them weren't exactly virtuous.  We did rather recklessly support anyone willing to fight the Russians during a lot of the Cold War.  We did put our military interests above human rights interests in many cases as well.

Still, I would agree that a significant portion of the criticism we receive is excessive or hypocritical on the part of the countries it comes from.  For example, France has behaved in similar ways to us in certain areas of Africa and Southeast Asia.  Some European states have no right to call us imperialist because of their own imperialist tendencies.
For us we see it as a political/regional issue. The extremist see it as a religious battle of civilizations. There is no doubt that reducing our dependence on oil will avoid some  conflicts, but it will not change the extremist minority to continue to rid the world of western ideas. It is their interpretation of Islam that does not leave room for Western society.

Something I wrote before.

We all make our own devils in our lives. And the Muslims of the Mid-East require a great Satan to explain why more than a thousand years of effort, often successful, came to nothing in the end. Until the inhabitants of the Mid-east can begin to take responsibility for their own success or failure, welcome change, the rule of law, hard work, individual merit, and above all womens rights, the Mid-East will remain the world's sick civilization.

This is why I think non oil dependency is not a fix all solution. They need us to explain away their ineptitude. The Muslim civilization can be successful once again when the start looking inward for change and stop relying on the foreign oil dollar. Combine this with a US foreign policy that does not force itself into the region and peace may just have a chance.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-03-17 15:13:42)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

For us we see it as a political/regional issue. The extremist see it as a religious battle of civilizations. There is no doubt that reducing our dependence on oil will avoid some  conflicts, but it will not change the extremist minority to continue to rid the world of western ideas. It is their interpretation of Islam that does not leave room for Western society.

Something I wrote before.

We all make our own devils in our lives. And the Muslims of the Mid-East require a great Satan to explain why more than a thousand years of effort, often successful, came to nothing in the end. Until the inhabitants of the Mid-east can begin to take responsibility for their own success or failure, welcome change, the rule of law, hard work, individual merit, and above all womens rights, the Mid-East will remain the world's sick civilization.

This is why I think non oil dependency is not a fix all solution. They need us to explain away their ineptitude. The Muslim civilization can be successful once again when the start looking inward for change and stop relying on the foreign oil dollar. Combine this with a US foreign policy that does not force itself into the region and peace may just have a chance.
You make some good points, but I'm starting to favor the idea of us killing each other through continual war....
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6586|sWEEDen
We need to find some aliens to kill if THIS world is gonna live in peace with eachother...sadly.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi wrote:

We need to find some aliens to kill if THIS world is gonna live in peace with eachother...sadly.
The US has a bunch of illegal ones but I don't think we should be killing them .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
[F7F7]KiNG_KaDaFFHi
Why walk when you can dance?
+77|6586|sWEEDen
Wouldn´t be good for the economy huh?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

sergeriver wrote:

lowing wrote:

How long do you think it will be, after the election of a democratic president, to the next terrorist attack in the US.

Or do you think once we retreat from Iraq and dissolve the Patriot Act, and put terrorists rights as the leading concern of our nation, that we will all live in peace?

I give it 1.5 years.
Are you Extreme Right wing Republicans/Neocons members of a club?  Do you receive a weekly magazine with BS?  How do you get your brain washed?  Is it free or you pay a fee?
Neither of the above, I am a member of the personal responsibility club, who puts national security above all other issues. Without national security and personal responsibility all other issues are irrelevant and our nation is doomed.

If I am brain washed into thinking our greatest problems as a nation derive from the notion that we are not responsible for ourselves and our own actions, that there is always govt. to blame for our finances, whitey is responsible for you not being educated or having a job. Then so be it, I am brain washed.
theelviscerator
+19|6287
What makes you so fucking sure a democrat can win the office?

I don't give them much of a chance, if any.

Hillary? Nah
Osama? Hell no.

Edwards? O please, practically a commie.

who is left on the left?

Nobody.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

theelviscerator wrote:

Hillary? Nah
Osama? Hell no.

who is left on the left?

Nobody.
Maybe, but I gotta be honest with myself, I believe the people will vote in a democrat this election.
Smitty5613
+46|6525|Middle of nowhere, California

lowing wrote:

theelviscerator wrote:

Hillary? Nah
Osama? Hell no.

who is left on the left?

Nobody.
Maybe, but I gotta be honest with myself, I believe the people will vote in a democrat this election.
If Hillary is voted in, im gonna burry all my guns in a box in my backyard so they won't get taken away
JimmyBotswana
+82|6584|Montreal
if all americans buried all their guns in their backyard america would be a lot better off.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

JimmyBotswana wrote:

if all americans buried all their guns in their backyard america would be a lot better off.
See what I mean about liberals and their irrational and unrealistic points of view?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK

lowing wrote:

JimmyBotswana wrote:

See what I mean about liberals and their irrational and unrealistic points of view?
He's poking fun at your gun culture.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

JimmyBotswana wrote:

Not that I take his comment literally, but I do believe that he is serious about America being better off if all law abiding citizens turned in their guns so only the criminals have them. This is what I mena about irrational and unrealistic. Ain't gunna happen.
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6653|Teesside, UK

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

Not that I take his comment literally, but I do believe that he is serious about America being better off if all law abiding citizens turned in their guns so only the criminals have them. This is what I mena about irrational and unrealistic. Ain't gunna happen.
But he said ALL Americans so that includes the criminals.  Yeah it's never going to happen so its just wishful thinking not necessarily irrational.  Kind of like when people say that the world would be better if religion didn't exist.  maybe it would.  but it's too late for 'what if' as guns and religion are here to stay.

Last edited by crimson_grunt (2007-03-20 17:13:37)

Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6775|Kansas, USA

PureFodder wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

oh yes, because republicans have made this country incredibly safe! thanks dubya!
Do ya really really wanna compare what the republicans have done to combat terrorism as compared to the democrats when they were in power?? Do ya really?
Ok, lets have a look at how many terrorist attacks there have been on American Citizens in the last few presidencies.

Not looking too good for GWB.
Looks a hell of a lot worse for Clinton who did absolutely nothing substantial in retaliation.

- 1993 World Trade Center Bombing
- 1996 Khobar Towers Bombing
- 1998 Embassy Bombings
- 2000 USS Cole Bombing
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

crimson_grunt wrote:

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

But he said ALL Americans so that includes the criminals.  Yeah it's never going to happen so its just wishful thinking not necessarily irrational.  Kind of like when people say that the world would be better if religion didn't exist.  maybe it would.  but it's too late for 'what if' as guns and religion are here to stay.
I stand by my post; to think a CRIMINAL will turn in his guns is irrational and unrealistic.
To think an American will automatically do the same is equally irrational and unrealistic.

This was his solution to a problem he thinks exists and it is irrational and unrealistic.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6568|United States
Bottom line is that there WILL be another horrendous terrorist attack on American soil sooner or later, and I'm not sure why anyone is arguing the fact that it will or will not happen. You all know it will. It doesn't matter who is in the oval office or not. It doesn't matter if there is a Patriot Act or not, etc. There's nothing an average citizen can do about it so just live your life. I think the crack-down on terroism has stopped a lot of would-be attacks but nobody will ever defeat terrorism.

And those of you arguing that you CAN defeat your enemy with military strength alone are sorely mistaken. Sure, it worked wonders in Japan, but it doesn't work against an enemy that WANTS to die. This enemy believes they party with 70 virgins when they die and they're not afraid to take as many people with them when they go down. Fighting without fear of death is a truely powerful thing in war... it doesn't matter if they they're using age-old weapons or homemade explosives. How do you defeat an enemy so willing to die?
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6773
Just putting it out there about the Patriot Act: If you're doing nothing wrong, why the fuck should you be so worried about having the government see stuff like who you call or mail. Oh, and they only ones they do that for is suspected terrorist links. You think the government has time to track 300 million people every second of every day? Think again broseph.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

BeerzGod wrote:

Bottom line is that there WILL be another horrendous terrorist attack on American soil sooner or later, and I'm not sure why anyone is arguing the fact that it will or will not happen. You all know it will. It doesn't matter who is in the oval office or not. It doesn't matter if there is a Patriot Act or not, etc. There's nothing an average citizen can do about it so just live your life. I think the crack-down on terroism has stopped a lot of would-be attacks but nobody will ever defeat terrorism.

And those of you arguing that you CAN defeat your enemy with military strength alone are sorely mistaken. Sure, it worked wonders in Japan, but it doesn't work against an enemy that WANTS to die. This enemy believes they party with 70 virgins when they die and they're not afraid to take as many people with them when they go down. Fighting without fear of death is a truely powerful thing in war... it doesn't matter if they they're using age-old weapons or homemade explosives. How do you defeat an enemy so willing to die?
By ALL countries not offering safe harbor for the terrorists, their training camps, or their finances. All countries that do get sanctioned out the ass. I mean real sanctions, not the bullshit the UN calls sanctions.

Make it where helping terrorists just ain't worth the burdon  your country will face..
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6489|Menlo Park, CA

theelviscerator wrote:

Hillary? Nah
Osama? Hell no.

who is left on the left?

Nobody.
Dude!! You forgot about Howard Dean lol!!!

Also the man NO ONE is mentioning is Ralph Nader!! That guy is going to run again, and call out ALL those asshole liberals!! Not only that but the really wacko left WILL give him some votes!! He could really screw things up for those douchebags!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard