=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6560|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Judge gave this damning verdict on the death of a British Soldie rkilled by US friendly fire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6449227.stm

The US responded predictabley but is this disrespectful to his grieving widow?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6459895.stm
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6659|Norway
That was an accident. The crime is the war itself
=EXP= TMMTAKEN
+0|6310
It wasn't an accident... they should have flown lower and checked it out.
kilgoretrout
+53|6480|Little Rock, AR

=EXP= TMMTAKEN wrote:

So, you're saying the US forces deliberately attacked a British convoy?
=EXP= TMMTAKEN
+0|6310
Sorry i will rephrase that.

It was an accident which could have been avoided, all they needed to do was fly lower to get a better look.
=OBS= EstebanRey

kilgoretrout wrote:

=EXP= TMMTAKEN wrote:

If I drunk 8 pints of beer, got in my car and ran someone over, would you as a judge let me off because I didn't "mean" to run anyone over?  Not comparing just making a point that just because something's not deliberate, doesn't make it a lawful accident.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/manslaughter

Last edited by =OBS= EstebanRey (2007-03-16 11:24:29)

kilgoretrout
+53|6480|Little Rock, AR
How often do you think planes make two runs past enemies in battle?  "Let's just fly over the first time to make sure it's the right target, then we'll waste a shitload of fuel and time by flying around and attacking, when they won't be in the same spot anymore and we'll have to find them again."  There's no sense in sending planes for more than one overflight.  What we need is better communication.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's awful that a British soldier was killed, but I think it's insane to say they should've done a low flight over a target to identify it.  There should've been solid communication between the Brits and Americans so that there was no question as to whether or not those tanks were friendly.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6767|Argentina
I know sometimes it ends like this, but FF OFF is so gay.
=OBS= EstebanRey

kilgoretrout wrote:

How often do you think planes make two runs past enemies in battle?  "Let's just fly over the first time to make sure it's the right target, then we'll waste a shitload of fuel and time by flying around and attacking, when they won't be in the same spot anymore and we'll have to find them again."  There's no sense in sending planes for more than one overflight.  What we need is better communication.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's awful that a British soldier was killed, but I think it's insane to say they should've done a low flight over a target to identify it.  There should've been solid communication between the Brits and Americans so that there was no question as to whether or not those tanks were friendly.
On the point about fuel, they're in Iraq for it so I'm sure that's not a problem and on the enemy moving for the return you might want to see the average speed of a plane vs a tank.  Exactly how far do you think a tank could go?

Besides, the crtitism was that they should have flown lower and NOT that they should have done two passes.
LOATHE YOU
Banned
+0|6262
Yea we lost some Canadian boys to friendly fire from who else...Americans.
Trigger happy drugged up pilots. This day in age, with all this technology, and people still mess up horribly.
The Canadian families were also spit on and disrespcted. Just another "thingy" the pentigram...oops, pentagon will carefully sweep under the carpet. And some Americans still question the reasons for a world wide americana hate ?

And how in the fk do you mistake a recently made British armored vehicle of ANY type for a relic of the cold war or even a hacked up pick up truck ?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

kilgoretrout wrote:

=EXP= TMMTAKEN wrote:

If I drunk 8 pints of beer, got in my car and ran someone over, would you as a judge let me off because I didn't "mean" to run anyone over?  Not comparing just making a point that just because something's not deliberate, doesn't make it a lawful accident.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/manslaughter
Are you familiar with intent in a court of law? If he acted recklessly then the military has courts that deal with it. But intent is very important. Tillman was shot three times in the head. His unit burned his armor and uniform to hide the fact it was friendly fire. Those soldiers were dealt with.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
=EXP= TMMTAKEN
+0|6310

LOATHE YOU wrote:

And how in the fk do you mistake a recently made British armored vehicle of ANY type for a relic of the cold war or even a hacked up pick up truck ?
Very valid point.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
=EXP= TMMTAKEN
+0|6310
So..

* American pilots know that orange means Friendly Brits but they still attack

* They switch radio channel

We are talking about taking someones life by attacking them and they go and attack a friendly vehicle without properly confirming that its British forces they are attacked.

I certainly hope this isn't the way other attacks are carried out in Iraq.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6483|Kakanien
server rule: tk'ers will be kicked/banned
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

As you can see the ground controller (Manilla) told him there were no friendlies in the immediate area.
It sure as hell looks like a mistake to me. They didn't just run through there blasting away..
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europ … index.html

Manilla is the ground controller not the pilot.
1336.52 MANILA HOTEL:

Roger, standby. Let me make sure they're not on another mission.

1336.57 POPOV36:

Hey, I got a four ship. Looks like we got orange panels on them though. Do we have any friendlies up in this area?

1337.03 MANILA HOTEL:

I understand that was north 800 metres.

1337.12 MANILA HOTEL:

POPOV, understand that was north 800 metres?

1337.16 POPOV35:

Confirm, north 800 metres. Confirm there are no friendlies this far north on the ground.

1337.21 MANILA HOTEL:

That is an affirm. You are well clear of friendlies.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
link52787
+29|6532
unfortunate, I could only imagine what that pilot feels like.
GATOR591957
+84|6637
Was this avoidable yes.  Did the pilots make mistakes yes.  Did the British commanders make mistakes, yes.  Co-pilot saw what he thought was Orange.  British were not in communication with the US forces.  They weren't even on the same channel.  They had not notified US command where they were. Once they saw the A-10's circling they should have been in communication notifying the US on friendlies in the area.  So, if you want to hang the pilots, you need to hang the British officer in command as well.  Funny how none of the British failures have been brought to light.

Last edited by GATOR591957 (2007-03-16 12:49:31)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France
Wow the BBC sure throws in a lot of biased comments into their news coverage.

An unfortunate situation all around.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6377|Columbus, Ohio

=EXP= TMMTAKEN wrote:

So..
* American pilots know that orange means Friendly Brits but they still attack
So..

* BRITISH FAC called in airstrike.

* Friendly vehicle colors such as orange are used by the enemy quite often.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6377|Columbus, Ohio

GATOR591957 wrote:

Funny how none of the British failures have been brought to light.
QFT

I would say the BBC is just as bad as some people make Fox out to be.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Like Americans have never been killed by international friendly fire...

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Judge gave this damning verdict on the death of a British Soldie rkilled by US friendly fire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6449227.stm

The US responded predictabley but is this disrespectful to his grieving widow?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6459895.stm
Strangely, nowhere in those two articles does the word 'judge' come up.

Pug wrote:

Wow the BBC sure throws in a lot of biased comments into their news coverage.

An unfortunate situation all around.
Hey wait, I thought the BBC was one of the most balanced news organizations out there...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-03-16 14:27:17)

comet241
+164|6775|Normal, IL
This is clearly an accident, and im disgusted that the assistant deputy coronor (how does that position give you the authority to make these comments?) has condemned the act as criminal. Friendly fire happens in every war. it is an accident. How can we prosecute someone when there are well over 100,000 troops all in one area with lots of weapons and everyone is on edge all the time, and there is a miscommunication breakdown that tragically results in the loss of a friendly.

Im glad that everyone thinks it is so easy to spot a 3 foot square orange patch on a top of a vehicle while flying over at several miles above, several hundred miles an hour. Yes, they thought it may be friendlies. However, they were told there were NO FRIENDLIES IN THE AREA! This was not a pilot error, this was a breakdown on multiple levels, including the british who somehow failed to make aware or notify anyone of their whereabouts or convoy for that day.

Also, on a further note on the orange patches, wouldn't it be genious for the insurgents to paint their rocket launchers orange? That is exaclty that the one pilot thought. That, combined with the fact that there were no notifications of any friendlies in the area makes it pretty easy to come to the conclusion that what they thought up to and including when they pulled the trigger, was correct.

In no way am i trying to come up with excuses, or belittle the british soldiers death, but accidents happen in war and this is clearly far from intentional or criminal. They took their time to identify the target, communicate with the base, weigh their options, all before they fired a shot. Better communication could have saved a life, but that is at the fault of both sides (american and british). Another pass or two at a lower altitude could have saved a life, but then at the potential cost of the american pilot, would it have turned out to be an insurgent convoy and those did turn out to be rockets or .50 cals.

The end result of the situation was tragic, but to prosecute the american pilots (who clearly expressed remorse at the mistake), is about as dumb as firing an assembly line worker for a faulty product design. The focus is on the wrong people and the right questions aren't being asked, and the right steps aren't being taken to ensure this never happens again.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6730|California

Accidents happen. Like the Brits haven't done any friendly fire this war.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6404|The Gem Saloon

usmarine2007 wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

Funny how none of the British failures have been brought to light.
QFT

I would say the BBC is just as bad as some people make Fox out to be.
ive been saying that ever since people started with the "FOX news haxxxxorrssss"!!!1!!111"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard