CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontp … 34953.html

Well it looks like the current Republican administration and fuck knows how many years of a Republican dominated congress and senate have finally smashed the prosperity Clinton helped America enjoy. This is what happens when a government spends with impunity and refuses to treat fiscal policy with due care and attention.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6821
Yesterday's losses will have done little to allay the fears of equity-linked Special Savings Incentive Account (SSIA) holders whose accounts are due to mature.
Don't you have one of them Cam?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

.:XDR:.PureFodder wrote:

Yesterday's losses will have done little to allay the fears of equity-linked Special Savings Incentive Account (SSIA) holders whose accounts are due to mature.
Don't you have one of them Cam?
I have the non-equity based version! Sometimes it pays off to be cautious!!!!!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2007/0315/1173880234953.html

Well it looks like the current Republican administration and fuck knows how many years of a Republican dominated congress and senate have finally smashed the prosperity Clinton helped America enjoy. This is what happens when a government spends with impunity and refuses to treat fiscal policy with due care and attention.
Uhh.. Cam you do realize the when Bush entered office the US Economy was entering a recession pretty much right? The economy is taking a beating in part due to people defaulting on the loans they took out a few years ago when the housing market was booming.

Bush's tax cuts were well timed.

Lets not forget what we were seeing just a few months ago.. http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/displ … k0.9575159

Trade deficit falls in U.S. for third consecutive month Lowest in 40 years..
The nation's unemployment rate dropped to 4.6 percent
The US Dollar saw fresh 3-month highs against the Euro
Housing Slump Could Be Ending
Inflation has best showing in 3 years
Jobless claims post surprising drop last week
Tax Revenues Drive Down US Federal Deficit
All this while weathering two wars, 9/11, corporate scandals, and two major hurricanes. The economy is one of the few things I do not have a problem with. Even Democrats are reluctant to use it against Bush.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-03-15 01:30:58)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6560|Oxford

CameronPoe wrote:

Well no. Much as I'd like to apportion blame to the current administration it's all to do with the banks and them thinking it was a good idea to give mortgages out to millions of people who can't afford them. The slightest increase in interest rates and these people are fucked due to their finances being so highly geared. Still, looks like the US has a contingency fund for these people estimated at between 2 and 3 billion so a bail out is on the horizon.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

RicardoBlanco wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Well no. Much as I'd like to apportion blame to the current administration it's all to do with the banks and them thinking it was a good idea to give mortgages out to millions of people who can't afford them. The slightest increase in interest rates and these people are fucked due to their finances being so highly geared. Still, looks like the US has a contingency fund for these people estimated at between 2 and 3 billion so a bail out is on the horizon.
It wont even necessarily be higher interest rates in the long run from what I am reading. Lender's will start being more reluctant to loan all together. If this is true it will have more of an impact than rates. You will have million incapable of investing into homes all together. The housing market, just like the retail market is highly influenced by confidence.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
He will not addresss the border.
Our economy is in a free fall.
We fail.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6589|Seattle

It's a very clear pattern throughout the past 50 or so years. When a Dem is in office, the economy soars and it's peace time (for the most part). Republican gains office and we go to war. The economy turns to shit and we get a huge deficit.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

We fail.
No politician will. Don't forget we have a Congress as well. Hooray for lobbyist.

King_County_Downy wrote:

It's a very clear pattern throughout the past 50 or so years. When a Dem is in office, the economy soars and it's peace time (for the most part). Republican gains office and we go to war. The economy turns to shit and we get a huge deficit.
You think our economy is shit? BTW the deficit is at 2 percent of our GDP. That's the lowest it has been in 40 years. What you are seeing is a slowing economy after a few record months.

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-03-15 00:32:03)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6589|Seattle

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html meh.
I think it's shit.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command

King_County_Downy wrote:

Democrats are the ones who usually start wars.

The mortage industry is leading the economic plunge. Construction is dead. Bush has said enforcing the border laws is not an issue.
Sure feels like the end of the world financially to me.

https://i19.tinypic.com/4fw0qhg.gif
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

King_County_Downy wrote:

http://zfacts.com/p/318.html meh.
I think it's shit.
Ok that is a prediction from an obviously liberal biased site..lol

Every time you here these sites say "largest in history" they neglect to mention things like our GDP is the largest it has ever been also.

Even aside from the deficit how can you say the economy is shit?
Wages, employment, and inflation are having positive record showings.

Everyone with an end of the economy mentality has a very short memory. See above links (This was only two months ago.)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6694|Little Rock, Arkansas

King_County_Downy wrote:

Yes, obviously. As Roosevelt and Kennedy/Johnson were hardcore Republicans. And the economy was noted for its growth under Carter. Clear as mud, I'd say.

Now, I read a great article the other day on the "morgage crisis." As per usual, it's media hype over nothing. Something like 6% of borrowers that are defined as "subprime" (also known as those who usually wouldn't be able to get a loan for a house) are defaulting on their loans. This is affecting the stock market, as investors gave money to banks specifically for the purpose of these loans, as they have high interest rates. So, now the investors are scared. There isn't anything other than the perception of a decline, but they freaked anyway. So, here we are. The economy is fine. I'm fine. If the Europeans want to freak out, well, knock yourselves out. Just leave me out of it.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6589|Seattle

The last company I worked for was a sub prime lender. 4 years ago, their business was booming. My parents (both sets) are in the mortgage/real estate business. I see mortgage companies laying off hundreds of workers. I see the real estate market slowing to a crawl. I see sub prime lenders switching game plans and restructuring the way they do business. I live in Seattle so it may be different other places in the country but this is what I see. It's the first time that I can remember where more people are leaving Seattle than are moving here. From my view of the economy, it's shit. Some of this is remnants from the .com bust but there are more factors to consider than just that. Interest rates and gas prices are killing the average worker.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Am I the only one that recalls people saying this would happen only a month or two back, only to be laughed at by the NeoCons?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

King_County_Downy wrote:

The last company I worked for was a sub prime lender. 4 years ago, their business was booming. My parents (both sets) are in the mortgage/real estate business. I see mortgage companies laying off hundreds of workers. I see the real estate market slowing to a crawl. I see sub prime lenders switching game plans and restructuring the way they do business. I live in Seattle so it may be different other places in the country but this is what I see. It's the first time that I can remember where more people are leaving Seattle than are moving here. From my view of the economy, it's shit. Some of this is remnants from the .com bust but there are more factors to consider than just that. Interest rates and gas prices are killing the average worker.
What you are seeing is the housing market slowing, not the real estate market. I work in commercial real estate and I can tell you business locally is booming. The housing market is in fact taking a hit, although new home construction/sales is up. I see some builders offering new cars with new home purchases as an incentive, lol. It's the resellers that expect the market to be the same as it was a few years ago who are getting screwed over. It is definitely not the time to be flipping houses.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France

CameronPoe wrote:

Cut all ties to the US economy so you won't be affected then.
topal63
. . .
+533|6710

Kmarion wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

What you are seeing is the housing market slowing, not the real estate market. I work in commercial real estate and I can tell you business locally is booming. The housing market is in fact taking a hit, although new home construction/sales is up. I see some builders offering new cars with new home purchases as an incentive, lol. It's the resellers that expect the market to be the same as it was a few years ago who are getting screwed over. It is definitely not the time to be flipping houses.
You're wrong about the housing market, new homes sales are SHIT or on the verge of SHITSVILLE. I work for two of the Nations top builders: Lennar Homes and D.R. Horton. When they put (my) current land development JOBS on HOLD(!) until future notice; when they tell me they are redesigning their offered model selections (downgrading s.f., amenities, etc, to make up for inflated new home prices), when they tell me they will not allow brokers to speculate and flip product anymore, when they don’t make new land acquisitions or only a limited amount for the future, when they lay hundreds of people off in my region (many that I know personally), when they tell me the market is going to be depressed for 6-18 more months I believe them, when my business revenues take a dive and I have to fire personal which I am doing today (for the first time in the last 10 years), I am inclined to think there is serious problem in the market (of which future numbers will bear-out).

Some not so old numbers:
The Commerce Dept announced that the construction of new homes fell in January by a whopping 14.3%. Prices fell in half of the nation’s major markets and “existing home sales declined in 40 states”. Arizona, Florida, California, and Virginia have seen precipitous drops in sales.

The Commerce Department also reported that “the number of vacant homes increased by 34% in 2006 to 2.1 million at the end of the year, nearly double the long-term vacancy rate.” (Marketwatch)

$1 trillion in ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages) are due to reset in 2007 which guarantees that millions of over-leveraged homeowners will default on their mortgages putting pressure on the banks …

“Beazer Homes stuck a hot poker in the heart of the dimwitted optimists who believe the housing market has stabilized. Their spokesman said, ‘We have yet to see any meaningful evidence of a sustained recovery in the housing market'. To back that statement up, they reported new orders were down 55% from a year ago, and their cancellations are running at a horrendous 43% rate."

http://www.census.gov/indicator/www/newresconst.pdf

Last edited by topal63 (2007-03-15 03:56:12)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France
To clarify also, part of the reason for the market reaction in the US is because Greenspan opened his mouth.  My broker buddy says he's a douchebag for doing so...
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6623|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

I don't know why you have to be so negative about this.  You look at everything half empty.  This is creating nothing but a huge buying opportunity for me.  Houses half off without even using a coupon.  People needing to rent homes since they cant afford to buy them and foreclosures to buy left and right. 

Complain all you want, but its making my lifestyle very nice!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

topal63 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

You're wrong about the housing market, new homes sales are SHIT or on the verge of SHITSVILLE. I work for two of the Nations top builders: Lennar Homes and D.R. Horton. When they put (my) current land development JOBS on HOLD(!) until future notice; when they tell me they are redesigning their offered model selections (downgrading s.f., amenities, etc, to make up for inflated new home prices), when they tell me they will not allow brokers to speculate and flip product anymore, when they don’t make new land acquisitions or only a limited amount for the future, when they lay hundreds of people off in my region (many that I know personally), when they tell me the market is going to be depressed for 6-18 more months I believe them, when my business revenues take a dive and I have to fire personal which I am doing today (for the first time in the last 10 years), I am inclined to think there is serious problem in the market (of which future numbers will bear-out).

Some not so old numbers:
The Commerce Dept announced that the construction of new homes fell in January by a whopping 14.3%. Prices fell in half of the nation’s major markets and “existing home sales declined in 40 states”. Arizona, Florida, California, and Virginia have seen precipitous drops in sales.

The Commerce Department also reported that “the number of vacant homes increased by 34% in 2006 to 2.1 million at the end of the year, nearly double the long-term vacancy rate.” (Marketwatch)

$1 trillion in ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages) are due to reset in 2007 which guarantees that millions of over-leveraged homeowners will default on their mortgages putting pressure on the banks …

“Beazer Homes stuck a hot poker in the heart of the dimwitted optimists who believe the housing market has stabilized. Their spokesman said, ‘We have yet to see any meaningful evidence of a sustained recovery in the housing market'. To back that statement up, they reported new orders were down 55% from a year ago, and their cancellations are running at a horrendous 43% rate."

http://www.census.gov/indicator/www/newresconst.pdf
You are right, I shouldn't had said sales but rather construction only. I had this article from December in mind when I made that statement. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/ … 1165.shtml

It should also be noted that loan apps are up. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 00425.html . This at least indicates a desire to balance out the market. Hopefully the creditors will pull through.

I am fully aware of the housing slow down. Most should have seen it coming after the incredible boom we had a couple of years ago. I am glad I am not in residential I must admit. The good thing about real estate though is it seems to always level out. There will always be a demand for a limited resource (location,location,location) despite buying trends. We just happen to be in a buyers market right now.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
liquix
+51|6446|Peoples Republic of Portland

ATG wrote:

We fail.
I second that
UGADawgs
+13|6313|South Carolina, US

CameronPoe wrote:

Damn you Bush for personally making my stocks go down thanks to your (patent pending) Stock Market Remote Controller! By the way, it's raining today and I really wanted to play some golf; I guess Bush used his Secret Underground Weather Machine just to piss me off.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

Kmarion wrote:

You think our economy is shit? BTW the deficit is at 2 percent of our GDP. That's the lowest it has been in 40 years. What you are seeing is a slowing economy after a few record months.
I think the Clinton years were proof that GDP growth (like today) have little relevance to things like rises in the standard of living.

The economy can be doing great on paper, but if the cost of living rises significantly faster than wages do, it still sucks for the average laborer.  Most of what we see as economic growth is just the widening of wealth disparity in America.

The middle class has been shrinking while the rich get richer, and the average wage buys less than it did 10 years ago.

It's all part of this globalization focus that both parties indulge in at the expense of taxpayers.  Free trade, my ass....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard