Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6583|USA
lets take a look at another one of them alternate realities, shall we?

in our world, slavery was hell on earth. it was unpaid labor, the hardest labor, without even the right to survive.

what if, though, slaves had been given a few basic rights? what if they had been allowed to socialize (with others on the plantation) and make "plantation money" that would be good for purchasing junk the owner wanted to sell them?

things like beer, alcohol, clothes, books, shoes, food, etc.

what if they had more or less been allowed to live a free life within the confines of the plantation, but lacked the ability to ever leave?

would slavery still be that hell on earth? would it almost be a good thing? would it be a better thing?

discuss.
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6513|Houston, TX
No more drugs for you
LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6543|Amherst, MA
Slavery still exists, eventhough there aren't cotton plantations in USA, noob.

"US State Department data estimated 600,000 to 820,000 men, women, and children (are) trafficked across international borders each year."

Child camel jockeys, Slavery with a smile?

Last edited by LawJik (2007-03-01 07:17:11)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6583|USA

LawJik wrote:

Slavery still exisits, evnthough therer arent cotton plantations in USA, noob.

"US State Department data estimated 600,000 to 820,000 men, women, and children (are) trafficked across international borders each year."

....you know what i meant. formalized, organized, LEGAL, slavery.

besides, thats not even the question at hand.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6585
No more drugs??...

omg...give him drugs, and lots of them...sedation is needed hehe
LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6543|Amherst, MA
They would be serfs?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6728

LawJik wrote:

They would be serfs?
Or Asian peasants.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
EVieira
+105|6490|Lutenblaag, Molvania

Ender2309 wrote:

LawJik wrote:

Slavery still exisits, evnthough therer arent cotton plantations in USA, noob.

....you know what i meant. formalized, organized, LEGAL, slavery.

besides, thats not even the question at hand.
Formalized, legal ownership over another human being? Are you nuts? Can you picture yourself being literaly OWNED by someone else, even if that guy gave you some cash to buy boose, shoes and books?
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
autopilot
banned
+115|6360

Ender2309 wrote:

in our world, slavery was hell on earth. it was unpaid labor, the hardest labor, without even the right to survive.

what if, though, slaves had been given a few basic rights? what if they had been allowed to socialize (with others on the plantation) and make "plantation money" that would be good for purchasing junk the owner wanted to sell them?

what if they had more or less been allowed to live a free life within the confines of the plantation, but lacked the ability to ever leave?

would slavery still be that hell on earth? would it almost be a good thing? would it be a better thing?

discuss.
Alternate reality?

There are more slaves in the world now than before the American Civil war.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6847|Kubra, Damn it!

Ender2309 wrote:

discuss.
Let's put you in that situation for a generation or two and see how much you enjoy it. Then you can tell us first-hand how great it is...
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6562|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth
Um..if they got paid then it wouldn't be "slavery" now would it?  It would just be cheap labour and with my compnay sending all our work over to India I'm certaintly suffereing from it.
liquix
+51|6465|Peoples Republic of Portland
Slavery is wrong. All I have to say for those who support it is "take a walk in their shoes." I don't think slavery would have existed too much longer than it did anyhow, besides I'm glad it's gone.
EVieira
+105|6490|Lutenblaag, Molvania

liquix wrote:

Slavery is wrong. All I have to say for those who support it is "take a walk in their shoes." I don't think slavery would have existed too much longer than it did anyhow, besides I'm glad it's gone.
There is still allot of slavery in the world. Unfortunately, Brazil is one of those places. Check some of the links posted earlier.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
ts-pulsar
+54|6514

Ender2309 wrote:

discuss.
You have basically described what slaves were in the ancient world.  They actually could free them selves eventually, and in some cases even become citizens.  Really the kind of slavery that most of us think of when we hear the word is a modern twist on a very old practice.

Slaves in ancient times were usually just people that the slave owners had conquered and race had nothing to do with it.  And Like I said above, they could free them selves, and were closer to indentured servants more than they were our modern perception of slaves.

Take a look at ancient Athenian Greece for good example of what slaves were in those times.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard