T4rd
+44|6717|West Point, NY
Hey all, I got a 46" Sony XBR2 LCD TV and a 3 year old son.  These do not go together very well.  In fact, they do not go together at all.  But it's impossible to keep him from touching the screen with his hands after eating PB & J sandwiches.  Strawberry jelly, I have found out isn't a very good cleaning solution for a LCD screen either.  So to all of you who own large LCDs/Plasmas;  what have you found to be the best way to clean the screen without leaving streaks or smears?  I've tried a couple different LCD cleaning kits, but they still smear/streak on the screen which is very noticeable when the TV is off or the screen is dark.

Much thanks and karma to anyone who has some good suggestions!
liquix
+51|6494|Peoples Republic of Portland
Water and a microfiber cloth. I find this to be the best, just be gentle and try to do it quickly after your boy leaves the prints. Jelly is very difficult to clean once it's dry, which may be the reason your having difficulty.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6494|Ontario, Canada
yea water works good for me
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6682|Deep In The South Of Texas
Distilled water
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6435|The Gem Saloon
get rid of the 3 year old j/k
but for real, get the Monster big screen cleaning kit. everything youll need, and Monster Power is a great company.
Mad Ad
+178|6551|England, UK
streaks are left because you have not removed the crap, just diluted it thinner and thinner while smearing it over a larger area...the only way to do it properly is taking your time and using a clean part of the wipe every few swipes...yes that means using a lot of cloth, as for the liquid, most any traditional cleaner will do, I prefer rubbing alcohol because it matters less if it drips or wells but water would be just as good as long as you remove it all.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6850|NÃ¥rvei

Microfiber without a doubt with handwarm water for the sticky parts, dont forget to totally dry off the surface !
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6712

liquix wrote:

Water and a microfiber cloth. I find this to be the best, just be gentle and try to do it quickly after your boy leaves the prints. Jelly is very difficult to clean once it's dry, which may be the reason your having difficulty.
x2
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6725|Espoo, Finland
Microfiber is the way to go. Just use a little water and squeze it almost dry and you're good to go.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6534|N. Ireland
Microfiber works well, but also toothpaste a very small amount will clear away most marks. Just be sure you can rub it off!
Mad Ad
+178|6551|England, UK
eeek no dont use toothpaste, many brands contain an abrasive
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6665|Cherry Pie
You should mount that thing up onthe wall so he can't reach it!  Problem solved!  Although, mines not on the wall.  But I don't have kids yet.  I AM PRACTICING PLENTY THOUGH!  LOL!
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6483|Stealth City, UK
Olive oil. Extra Virgins better, seriously it works a charm!
reaper_654
confused??
+36|6337|ohio,USA

liquix wrote:

yup
colonel_locke
+2|6321
Highly recommend Monster products!  Their power conditioners have saved my toys many times!
T4rd
+44|6717|West Point, NY
Sweet, thanks guys.  I'll try all this stuff except for maybe the toothpaste and olive oil one, hah.  Where can I get the Monster stuff?  I haven't seen them (although I haven't really looked) at my local Best Buy or Wal-Mart which are pretty much the only places I go to.

Also, I just got an Asus G2P laptop with one of those really shiny/reflective (WXGA, I think) LCDs, which has a different surface type than my LCD TV, would you recommend the same cleaning solutions for that also?
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6483|Stealth City, UK

T4rd wrote:

Sweet, thanks guys.  I'll try all this stuff except for maybe the toothpaste and olive oil one, hah.  Where can I get the Monster stuff?  I haven't seen them (although I haven't really looked) at my local Best Buy or Wal-Mart which are pretty much the only places I go to.

Also, I just got an Asus G2P laptop with one of those really shiny/reflective (WXGA, I think) LCDs, which has a different surface type than my LCD TV, would you recommend the same cleaning solutions for that also?
You can order monster stuff through apple.com, it says its for a mac but its fine for everything.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard