Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6723|Eastern PA

siciliano732 wrote:

Smithereener wrote:

nonexistentusmc wrote:

What exactly is the difference between a College or a University?
I'm not quite sure about this, but: A college is actually a group of people, but now it's connotative meaning is a an institution of education although most people tend to think college is 2 year.

University is also an institution of higher learning, but most people assume 4-year.

I don't really think there is a difference, but most people I talk to group "college" with junior colleges.

I've got one year of high school left ahead of me. Getting like, 10 college letters a friggen week. Half of them I haven't even heard of.
student body population and whether or not it is state funded or not.  i think thats what the difference is. (dont quote me on it cuz im not definite.)  A University is usually state funded and has a larger student body.  Neither is better or worse than the other. I do know it has nothing to do with being a 2 or 4 year institution.
Colleges and Universities can be either public or private (ie. Georgetown University and George Mason). Harvard is a private institution that is exceptionally large. 2 year institutions are usually community colleges and not "full colleges" although some universities have various graduate level certificates that take between 1 and 2 years to attain. Most master's level programs take between 2 and 3 years to complete and most doctoral programs (not medical programs, those are typically professional, not academic degrees) take another 3-4 years beyond the MA/MS level.

Colleges typically don't grant certain graduate degrees (they usually don't grant doctorates, some do, but many only grant baccalaureate and/or master's degrees) or are component institutions within a University system (ie. Brooklyn College is within the City University of New York system). If a college is an independent institution (at least in the US) it is primarily focused on teaching, whereas Universities (again, in the US) are typically what is known as "knowledge generating" institutions and are primarily focused on research. So a professor at a college will be required to spend most of his or her time teaching undergraduates and/or graduate students while a university counterpart will spend most of his or her time conducting research.

For most faculty at research one institutions (those knowledge generating institutions) their promotions are contingent on the research they produce and not necessarily on teaching skills.

For the record I went to the University of Kansas and George Mason University.

Last edited by Masques (2007-02-25 23:05:54)

Donald O' Brien
+104|6704
University of Wisconsin.

And for future reference, use the search button...
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=39018
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=27135

Last edited by Donald O' Brien (2007-02-25 22:34:51)

Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6362|Vancouver
Simon Fraser University, next fall.
cospengle
+140|6487|Armidale, NSW, Australia
University of New England, although I've also been to the University of the Sunshine Coast (that's Sunshine Coast in Australia, not North America). I always thought it sounded more like a holiday resort than a university.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia
I'm in my final year of HS, but I wanted to go to ADFA (australian defence force academy) and become an engineer in the Royal Australian Air Force...

...but I'm red-green colour blind and apparantly I can't do this.

Mcminty.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6782

Dartmouth College, NH
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
Washington State University
Pullman, WA
Go Cougs!
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6739|Pakistan/England

Smithereener wrote:

nonexistentusmc wrote:

What exactly is the difference between a College or a University?
I'm not quite sure about this, but: A college is actually a group of people, but now it's connotative meaning is a an institution of education although most people tend to think college is 2 year.

University is also an institution of higher learning, but most people assume 4-year.

I don't really think there is a difference, but most people I talk to group "college" with junior colleges.

I've got one year of high school left ahead of me. Getting like, 10 college letters a friggen week. Half of them I haven't even heard of.
i dunno, most people seem to associate college with the smallish liberal arts colleges like dartmouth. Universities are much larger. however, most americans seem to use college as the general term for colleges + universities, while the english laugh in your face if you say "i got into (some) university"
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6389|New York
went to Binghamton University for Mechanical Engineering. Will be starting my masters in a couple of years.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
13rin
+977|6479
The Florida State University
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
SoC./Omega
+122|6541|Omaha, Nebraska!

keimtime wrote:

University of Nebraska - Lincoln!
YAAAAA DOOOD NEBRASKAAAAAAAA
224th R0ck3tpack
Hostile pansy spotted!
+8|6429|NH

superfly_cox wrote:

Dartmouth College, NH
Yay New Hampshire!
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6645|Canada
University of Manitoba here
137twozerosniper
+57|6565|UK
plymouth city college

plymouth, UK
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6631|Washington, DC

high school right now, but it'd be cool to get into MIT or Stanford.
RasorX
+17|6743|Indianapolis
I was relieved to see the O.P. was still in high school.  Anyone attending college should not be using prepositions at the end of sentences.

And, Rutgers.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US
United States Air Force Academy

Probably majoring in Military History.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6640

RAIMIUS wrote:

United States Air Force Academy

Probably majoring in Military History.
WOW I WANNA GO THERE!!!

Can you tell me how your grades were in high school and any information that could help me out?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire
Dublin Institute Of Technology for a Masters in Digital Media Technologies.
jmc514
+4|6463|Boston, MA
McGill University, Montreal, QC

Studying for B. Eng in chemical engineering
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia

jmc514 wrote:

McGill University, Montreal, QC

Studying for B. Eng in chemical engineering
Cool choice. If I dont go to ADFA (see above post), that's something I'm considering at the University of New South Wales.

Mcminty.
OneEyedFatKid
+3|6621|Mechanicsburg PA, USA
I started out at Harrisburg Area Community College in PA but I quit and went to Omega Studios School of Applied Recording Arts & Sciences in MD.
Flex
Flex Appeal
+18|6471|NY

DBBrinson1 wrote:

The Florida State University
BOOOOO.... lol j/p

Graduate of...

The University of Florida class of 2004

Go Gators.... champions of pretty much everything!
Roughshod
I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?
+24|6271|Germany, NRW
high school in Dusseldorf (somewhere in germany ^^)
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6674|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Never went to College, never went to Uni, neither a college or a Uni could afford the equipment to teach me what I do, that was 16 years ago however, they do have one college in the UK now which teaches my trade.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard