duffry
Moderator Emeritus
+148|6852|Cheshire, UK
This is an extract from our server rules. I know many of you dissagree with this stance and this topic has probably been somewhat done to death but I call for those who agree with this opinion to speak up as well as all those who will no doubt flame the hell out of me for it.

This thread is intended to be about basecamping in all its forms and history, not about anything else such as TKing (which we all know is worse) or stat padding (which is completly different).

The =|DMZ|= position on base-camping:
The origin of base-camping
Since the advent of multiplayer FPS gaming there have been player spawn points. Some players have always exploited these spawn points, as they can be certain of finding targets around them. As a player spawns they typically have to orientate themselves, this leaves them vulnerable to players who have camped near the spawn point.

'Spawn camping' has become a major issue throughout the FPS gaming communities and as the games have developed so have the techniques. In the days of 'Doom' multiplayer (Deathmatch) maps would include several spawn points and locate them in out of the way areas in an effort to discourage the spawn-camper - this had only limited success. When later games introduced more player objectives such as 'capture the flag', camping extended to other areas. This was also frowned upon, but it was still the spawn-campers that were most hated. Later games (such as the Battlefield series) introduced 'bases' (clusters of spawn points that could be captured) which introduced 'base-camping' (waiting at an enemy base to target spawning players) and 'base-raping' (same as base-camping but with a power weapon/vehicle such as an attack helicopter).

The DMZ has a very clear understanding of what constitutes unfair behaviour in these situations in Battlefield 2.

Base-camping
This is not only permitted but actively supported. Many weapons in BF2 are designed for the task. Sniper rifles are a prime example, they are meant for targeting a location where targets are expected. This could be a friendly base that could be attacked, a popular route where enemy walk or an enemy base. The battlefield games have several spawn points within each base so any sniper will need to aim, this means that although they are base-camping they are not effectively spawn-camping (in the traditional 'Deathmatch' sense).

Base-raping
In Battlefield Vietnam helicopters were introduced to the FPS world. It became possible for a circling helicopter to effectively spawn-camp all spawn locations within a base. While this is not cheating it could be considered unfair. A counter argument to this is that it is possible to spawn at a different base if necessary. This led to many (sometimes quite complex) rules on servers in an attempt to make games fairer for all.

Helicopters in BF2 are of a different bread however. The game designers have made the flight physics more accurate (so it is harder to circle around a spot) and made them easier to damage. They have also introduced features to ease team-play which greatly helps combat these tactics.

In addition to both of the above BF2 has the commander function. Enemy troops and vehicles can be spotted by all but none more easily than by the commander. Snipers and campers can be located quickly and easily and their positions communicated to all. Attacking power vehicles can be spotted and targeted by many; making them vulnerable.

Artillery
Other BF2 servers enforce rules to stop commanders from using their artillery on enemy main bases. These are bases that cannot be captured by the opposite team (marked on the minimap by a line through a red circle graphic). The DMZ does not uphold any such rule. The artillery is there at the commanders disposal, and as the developers of BF2 had no intention of stopping this action, neither do we. If you dont like it - destroy their artillery - its not hard! It also takes long periods of time to reload the artillery, which gives you plenty of time to escape the main base.

To sum up - We at the DMZ do not have a rule prohibiting base-camping/raping or main base artillery strikes as we feel that with the developments in the game it is no longer a sufficiently unfair tactic.

Our MPs (server admins) will not punish players for actions that many would brand 'camping', however, be aware that they are likely to punish those who swear at, insult or in any other way abuse players for such actions (this includes calling people 'noobs' or the like).
The_Razgriz
+0|6751
maybe in next patch it can be made impossible to use arty on that spot(uncapable bases i mean)

maybe thats a ood idea
US_JackHammer
+1|6740
Quite an excellent post.

Often whilst im playing I get a bunch of people asking me to kick players for Base - Raping, or Base camping.

My Reply is "And where in our rules does it say people cant do this?"

The only thing I shall have to flame you for is this lol

duffry wrote:

Helicopters in BF2 are of a different bread however.
Whilst I totally see where your coming from I would have to disagree. I fear that Bread helicopters would not fly, and if you tried to enable rocket launching butter missiles the Bread Helicopter would probably fall apart from the strain of the mountings.
duffry
Moderator Emeritus
+148|6852|Cheshire, UK

US_JackHammer wrote:

duffry wrote:

Whilst I totally see where your coming from I would have to disagree. I fear that Bread helicopters would not fly, and if you tried to enable rocket launching butter missiles the Bread Helicopter would probably fall apart from the strain of the mountings.
LOL
Ok, you got me. I can't spell. I'm sorry.
thinner44
+1|6822
You are right, this topic has been done to death . But I also agree with many points your server upholds. There is no problem with spawn camping, if you're spwaning and you're being camped, adjust, amend your tactics. If you're doing the camping, then that's fair enough, you know where your targets are and like 'real life', they are the enemy
I've been on the receiving end of campers and it's not nice, in fact it can be depressing... but I often find the way out of such a 'raping' and go capture a flag somewhere else, or if I'm in a squad, will spawn on the SL, that's why he/she's there .

If this game is to have 'threads of reality' then I agree with your server's rules and opinions, however, I think you're being a little too strict on those that like to have a bit of a 'chatter' when they're being base-camped, it's frustrating, it's frustration that leads to this type of chat and if it gets one of the campers to 'move away', then that too is a tactic (psychological) and shouldn't be seen as some kind of 'abuse'. Those that swear and abuse for no reason (if against server rules) are the ones your server should target.

Chechire?

@ US_JackHammer  butter missiles.... I didn't spot the 'bread' bit.

Last edited by thinner44 (2006-01-07 08:20:56)

Revelstoke
The Medic Whore
+9|6715|Ontario
no... its not good..most people who do it are idiotic.. why cant you people play the game how its meant to be played?
its a game... the whole purpose is to HAVE FUN
How is it fun for the person who spawns, and is instantly killed? Over and over and over...
i say your wrong.
Ziggy_79x
+4|6698

US_JackHammer wrote:

Quite an excellent post.

Often whilst im playing I get a bunch of people asking me to kick players for Base - Raping, or Base camping.

duffry wrote:

Hahaha!   Unless its GARLIC BUTTER!!!!
Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6799
Nice post duffry, you have a lot of valid points and make a good argument.  It would be interesting to see how many people 'rape' the bases, although its a little absurd, as you practically have to if you want to keep casualties down on your side and sucessfully capture a point.  While two or three are capturing, I wait around the spawn points so they dont get ambushed, then once its neutralized, I go in to help.

I dont think its wrong, I think its tactically sound to deny my opponent the advantage, if the tables were turned, I know it would happen to me, so why not fight fire with fire?
Lt.Maverick|Lw|
youve now just been Pwned by the Mavster
+-1|6737
just have to agree and say the is no such thing as base raping/camping...if im playing usmc and your mec and you have the whole map to spawn and you keep spawning at hotel...then i will keep killing you..(a) cause it helps my team and my points and (b)cause your stupid enough to keep spawning their tbh
Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6799

Lt.Maverick|Lw| wrote:

just have to agree and say the is no such thing as base raping/camping...if im playing usmc and your mec and you have the whole map to spawn and you keep spawning at hotel...then i will keep killing you..(a) cause it helps my team and my points and (b)cause your stupid enough to keep spawning their tbh
Now see, thats what I dont get when you attack a base.  You have about ten guys from your team taking the flag and one enemy soldier keeps spawning there in a last ditch effort to take it back.  10 to 1?  Not the best odds in the world, ideally it would be best to spawn elsewhere where you wont get liquidised into the road.
Raxor
Enemy Boat Spotted
+17|6857|United Kingdom
amen to that, someone said they would report my server for Main base arty on warlord lol. that aside it doesnt bother me when it happens to me. It isnt hard to take them out tbh
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6850
We don't like Explioting Flaws in game.

BF42 Gazala El Alamain  ? Did you think it was Cool when Enemy German Tanks Sat in your Repair hanger, invunerable and spawned killed everyone and every vehicle as soon as they  apeared
with TOTAL impunity in your uncapable main.

While there Hanger was down the Hill with no line of site to their spawn area and if you got in it you couldnt see anyone spawn. So there was no counter balance and maybe you could blow up an Empty Stuka every ten minutes? ? It shut down the whole game.

GAME... Game Play.. PLAY.. we want to play not watch some child wreck the game.

There are maps in BF2 where you can drive tanks onto airfields can you drive a tank onto carrier deck?
Use your fuckin head. There is a limit.
Berserk_Vampire
Banned
+7|6701
I love base raping specially with the tank at karkland hotel yep im a base raping tank whore also pretty fun if you're mec going over to there boat and camping and killing off all the infantry on the ground after youre budy jets take out both aa guns.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6718|Antarctica

duffry wrote:

This is an extract from our server rules. I know many of you dissagree with this stance and this topic has probably been somewhat done to death but I call for those who agree with this opinion to speak up as well as all those who will no doubt flame the hell out of me for it.

This thread is intended to be about basecamping in all its forms and history, not about anything else such as TKing (which we all know is worse) or stat padding (which is completly different).

Since the advent of multiplayer FPS gaming there have been player spawn points. Some players have always exploited these spawn points, as they can be certain of finding targets around them. As a player spawns they typically have to orientate themselves, this leaves them vulnerable to players who have camped near the spawn point.

'Spawn camping' has become a major issue throughout the FPS gaming communities and as the games have developed so have the techniques. In the days of 'Doom' multiplayer (Deathmatch) maps would include several spawn points and locate them in out of the way areas in an effort to discourage the spawn-camper - this had only limited success. When later games introduced more player objectives such as 'capture the flag', camping extended to other areas. This was also frowned upon, but it was still the spawn-campers that were most hated. Later games (such as the Battlefield series) introduced 'bases' (clusters of spawn points that could be captured) which introduced 'base-camping' (waiting at an enemy base to target spawning players) and 'base-raping' (same as base-camping but with a power weapon/vehicle such as an attack helicopter).

The DMZ has a very clear understanding of what constitutes unfair behaviour in these situations in Battlefield 2.

Base-camping
This is not only permitted but actively supported. Many weapons in BF2 are designed for the task. Sniper rifles are a prime example, they are meant for targeting a location where targets are expected. This could be a friendly base that could be attacked, a popular route where enemy walk or an enemy base. The battlefield games have several spawn points within each base so any sniper will need to aim, this means that although they are base-camping they are not effectively spawn-camping (in the traditional 'Deathmatch' sense).

Base-raping
In Battlefield Vietnam helicopters were introduced to the FPS world. It became possible for a circling helicopter to effectively spawn-camp all spawn locations within a base. While this is not cheating it could be considered unfair. A counter argument to this is that it is possible to spawn at a different base if necessary. This led to many (sometimes quite complex) rules on servers in an attempt to make games fairer for all.

Helicopters in BF2 are of a different bread however. The game designers have made the flight physics more accurate (so it is harder to circle around a spot) and made them easier to damage. They have also introduced features to ease team-play which greatly helps combat these tactics.

In addition to both of the above BF2 has the commander function. Enemy troops and vehicles can be spotted by all but none more easily than by the commander. Snipers and campers can be located quickly and easily and their positions communicated to all. Attacking power vehicles can be spotted and targeted by many; making them vulnerable.

Artillery
Other BF2 servers enforce rules to stop commanders from using their artillery on enemy main bases. These are bases that cannot be captured by the opposite team (marked on the minimap by a line through a red circle graphic). The DMZ does not uphold any such rule. The artillery is there at the commanders disposal, and as the developers of BF2 had no intention of stopping this action, neither do we. If you dont like it - destroy their artillery - its not hard! It also takes long periods of time to reload the artillery, which gives you plenty of time to escape the main base.

To sum up - We at the DMZ do not have a rule prohibiting base-camping/raping or main base artillery strikes as we feel that with the developments in the game it is no longer a sufficiently unfair tactic.

Our MPs (server admins) will not punish players for actions that many would brand 'camping', however, be aware that they are likely to punish those who swear at, insult or in any other way abuse players for such actions (this includes calling people 'noobs' or the like).
I guess i'm not alone then :-D
nypdstaff
+0|6698
Excellent post  - good to know your rules in order to not play there
Drunkaholic
+4|6737

Horseman 77 wrote:

BF42 Gazala El Alamain  ? Did you think it was Cool when Enemy German Tanks Sat in your Repair hanger, invunerable and spawned killed everyone and every vehicle as soon as they  apeared

While there Hanger was down the Hill with no line of site to their spawn area and if you got in it you couldnt see anyone spawn. So there was no counter balance and maybe you could blow up an Empty Stuka every ten minutes? ? It shut down the whole game.

There are maps in BF2 where you can drive tanks onto airfields can you drive a tank onto carrier deck?
a) It was not at all required to curse
b) Vehicles can no longer be repaired at bases that don't belong to your team, except if you do it manually.  That leaves a big grey tank icon on the minimap, and you're screwed if you try.

I think that baseraping is one of those thing where you love it if you're doing it, you hate it when it happens to you.

Last edited by Drunkaholic (2006-01-07 14:48:38)

Princess_Frosty
+0|6697
Admins should host the servers as they see fit, player should join servers setup to suit their personal preference.

Not everyone will see eye to eye on this one, elitest players who are often on the giving end of base rapeing are more likely to condone it, newer players who are on the recieving end are likely to hate it.

My personal opinion on the matter is that theres a limit, bringing down artillery on the only remaining spawn of your enemy which is uncappable, while your team surrounds the whole spawn area with vehicles from ALL the sources in the map...well its overkill.

Theres no need to pummel the enemy into a corner like that, let them out and have a good game, you're probably going to win anyhow.  For me, sitting there killing someone over and over again with the same weapon in what i'd call a "cheap" situation, having a total advantage, is really very boring.  And being on the receiving end of it is even worse, its just frustraiting to have to wait through.  And its not a "simple case of destroying the artilery" if you can't get out your only spawn point.

Theres a fine line to be drawn here, and depending on what side you stand on really shows up your sportsmanship, remember that you're playing a game, against other humans who are simply going to leave the game if you do this kind of thing repeatedly.

As first stated the best thing to do is only play where the rules suit you, I think its sad that some people have to have this kind of moderation forced upon them, i'd like to think that everyone is a good sportsman/gamer at heart and understand how lame it is to be on the recieiving end of this kind of rubbish, but its obvious by the rules forced on most of the servers I play on, some people are really just THAT elitest and arrogant.
-=|AA|=-Col.Magnum
+0|6799|Rockhampton Qld
i dont believe that admins or other players have the right to say how any other player can play their game.
they bought the game.
they pay for their own internet connection
players have the right ( i say the right ) to play the game any way they see fit.
when someone starts paying my bills or paying for my internet connection and my games then i will listen to what they have to say.
people its a game, thats all it is. i have no comment on wether base raping stat paddling arty the carrier on wake or anything else in the game is right or wrong.
its my opinion and only mine i gather, thats you can play the game any way you see fit because its yours.
if there are servers that dont like how you play dont play there.
find a server that suits you .
man that cant be hard.
there are a lot of things i dont like in the game, but i love the game and i will continue to play, i dont care what ea does, either does a lot of others, we will still spend money on the upgrades and the up and comming bf3.

Your brother in arms Magnum
staticblue
Vindicator
+28|6748|Houston, TX
I see nothing wrong with base camping. It's people who camp spawns that are lame. Resting there crosshairs on the spot that the actual player spawns and killing them before they have half a second to move. In this situation I follow a 5 second rule. I won't shot anyone that spawns for 5 seconds. Now if they are still standing there after that 5 seconds they're toast.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6761|Mark it zero.
whats your ip? im tired of all these dumbass admins that just ban you for doing something like blow up the commander assets. lots of admins are like "you can blow up commander assets, but you cant kill anyone there." now how fucked up is that? so we are just supposed to let them kill us? there are also some servers where you arent allowed to blow up enemy assets because its not fair for their commander. now wtf...
thinner44
+1|6822

Kamikaze17 wrote:

whats your ip? im tired of all these dumbass admins that just ban you for doing something like blow up the commander assets. lots of admins are like "you can blow up commander assets, but you cant kill anyone there." now how fucked up is that? so we are just supposed to let them kill us? there are also some servers where you arent allowed to blow up enemy assets because its not fair for their commander. now wtf...
I think the original poster was just showing us what his server admins do.

I have to agree with your post though. If I go as a SO to blow up commander assets, sure as hell I'm going to kill anyone that's there... kill or be killed. I also steal any vehicle that's there to aid my escape, it wouldn't be right to have to hoof it all the way back when there's a tank or apc just sitting there doing nothing

Horseman 77 wrote: "There are maps in BF2 where you can drive tanks onto airfields can you drive a tank onto carrier deck?
Use your fuckin head. There is a limit." .... Yes there is, and I believe you've reached yours . I'ts a game based loosely on the 'reality' of war, forget the Geneva convention here, it doesn't apply. If I could drive a tank onto the deck of an aircraft carrier, don't you think I would have done it by now

As many have said, if you don't like being base-raped...spawn elsewhere. If you have nowhere left, then just sit it out, the game will come to a natural end i.e, you've lost
ImaMedic
+1|6780|Where ever there's wounded

Ziggy_79x wrote:

US_JackHammer wrote:

Quite an excellent post.

duffry wrote:

Hahaha!   Unless its GARLIC BUTTER!!!!
Nah man, it would be made out of sour dough bread that's as hard as a rock.

Great post IMHO.
Ludic
+0|6780|New York
I wonder if they could make uncappable points out of bounds (red shaded) for the team that doesn't spawn there. That would be an interesting way of dealing with it. Like have overlapping in bounds areas and seperate areas that are out of bounds for the opposing team.

Regardless, I agree with the original poster.
duffry
Moderator Emeritus
+148|6852|Cheshire, UK

Revelstoke wrote:

i say your wrong.
Ok.  I say your grammar is as bad as my spelling.

Horseman 77 wrote:

Map inballance is a different issue. I don't believe there are any 'power-moves' such as the one you describe above in BF2.
If someone has gotten a tank onto an enemy runway then they deserve all the kills they get. They had to get there, the oposing team obviously didn't defend their base very well, and if they get loads of kills the defenders really aren't doing a good job of working together.

Princess_Frosty wrote:

Not everyone will see eye to eye on this one, elitest players who are often on the giving end of base rapeing are more likely to condone it, newer players who are on the recieving end are likely to hate it.
I don't think it breaks down like that. My gf is new to the game and she has the smarts to spawn elsewhere when one flag is getting hammered and if it's the last flag she will try and break out or listen to the squad lead. It's not good to be camped/raped but you can either avoid it or deal with it cos you're losing; no matter what you're skill level.

Princess_Frosty wrote:

My personal opinion on the matter is that theres a limit, bringing down artillery on the only remaining spawn of your enemy which is uncappable, while your team surrounds the whole spawn area with vehicles from ALL the sources in the map...well its overkill.

Theres no need to pummel the enemy into a corner like that, let them out and have a good game, you're probably going to win anyhow.  For me, sitting there killing someone over and over again with the same weapon in what i'd call a "cheap" situation, having a total advantage, is really very boring.  And being on the receiving end of it is even worse, its just frustraiting to have to wait through.  And its not a "simple case of destroying the artilery" if you can't get out your only spawn point.
I see where you're coming from and understand whatr you're saying but again I have to disagree. If you have out-played the enemy to the extent that you have taken ALL the cappable flags then they are in an untenable position and should probably surrender, except they can't do that so they need to get killed till the next game starts. That's how battles are won in BF2, you reduce the opponants tickets to zero.

Princess_Frosty wrote:

Theres a fine line to be drawn here, and depending on what side you stand on really shows up your sportsmanship, remember that you're playing a game, against other humans who are simply going to leave the game if you do this kind of thing repeatedly.
Yes, it's a game. Like football (any flavour). If your team were winning and one of your team mates suggested that you let the opponants score a few to make it interesting you'd laugh you ass off. An uncappable flag in BF2 is a huge asset; if your team has one you are at an advantage. That said though this is often somewhat offset by the enemy having almost all the other flags. The price you pay for having an uncappable base? You have to die at the hands of your enemy to lose, you can't be pushed out of the game.

Princess_Frosty wrote:

As first stated the best thing to do is only play where the rules suit you, I think its sad that some people have to have this kind of moderation forced upon them, i'd like to think that everyone is a good sportsman/gamer at heart and understand how lame it is to be on the recieiving end of this kind of rubbish, but its obvious by the rules forced on most of the servers I play on, some people are really just THAT elitest and arrogant.
Nothing to do with being elitist or arrogant. It's about playing the game to win. Both sides are doing it, just one side is doing it a whole lot better for that round. There'll be another along in just a moment.

-=|AA|=-Col.Magnum wrote:

i dont believe that admins or other players have the right to say how any other player can play their game.
they bought the game.
they pay for their own internet connection
players have the right ( i say the right ) to play the game any way they see fit.
when someone starts paying my bills or paying for my internet connection and my games then i will listen to what they have to say.
It takes more than that to play BF2 I'm afraid, you need a server. You want to pay for a server too?
I did and have invested a further £700 into my BF2 gaming experience, that's ontop of paying for my copy(s) of the game, internet connection and PC.
You can play a local or single player game any way you like, hell, you can swear and abuse those bots till your hearts content. When you come to play on the server that I provided for you (and everyone else) to play on you are there partially at my expense. I try to provide a fair place for people to have fun and enjoy the game and so there are certain things I ask people not to do (TK, abuse, cheat...). I believe you are in a small minority of people who feel I am wrong to ask such things of the people who play on these servers. As has been said before, if people don't like the way I run my house they can leave. If they break the rules they will not be invited back.

Kamikaze17 wrote:

whats your ip?
site: www.the-dmz-site.com
bf2: 85.236.100.34:16567  mayhem64
bf2: 85.236.100.34:16667  Karkand Skirmish
Vent: 85.236.100.19:57579  (no password)
Kriznik
+0|6784

duffry wrote:

Base-camping

Base-raping

Artillery

best post ever....
absolutly agree

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard