ilinear
Bigger. Better. ilinear.
+27|6463|Lisburn, NI
Right, just wondering if this is normal.

1st attempt at overclocking.

Friends Rig:

Athlon64 4000+
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D (Socket 939)
2GB Crucial PC3200
ATI Radeon x800GTO

First go, I though "Hey, I'll see what happens if I just crank this up a bit"

Put the FSB up from 200Mhz to 250Mhz, didn't touch the Multiplyer.

PC booted great, everything works fine, stable and everything.

He had a Titan Vanessa and about 3 Fans off a fan controller, so I wasn't *that* worried about temps, but the thing is, they haven't changed I mean, it was 29-36 at idle before and 36-40 at load, and it's the same, maybe only changing by 1* either way.

Just wondering if it's normal...

EDIT: Changed temps

Last edited by ilinear (2007-02-03 16:28:33)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6511|N. Ireland
Upping the FSB by 50 is just stupid and dangerous. How do you know it is stable? Just because it boots and loads firefox doesn't mean it is stable.
ilinear
Bigger. Better. ilinear.
+27|6463|Lisburn, NI
Dangerous? My bad...

But yeah, he's played something like 14 hours of 2142 with it at that speed and hasn't had any problems, how else would you suggest I test the stability? He's put Orthos on overnight, so I'm still waiting on the results of that.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, pretty much as soon as we did it, we loaded up BF2 for a good 2 hours, no problem.
psychotoxic187
+11|6727

ilinear wrote:

Dangerous? My bad...

But yeah, he's played something like 14 hours of 2142 with it at that speed and hasn't had any problems, how else would you suggest I test the stability? He's put Orthos on overnight, so I'm still waiting on the results of that.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, pretty much as soon as we did it, we loaded up BF2 for a good 2 hours, no problem.
Test it with Prime95. But, usually if you bump it up that high, and it doesn't blue screen soon after, chances are it will be good.
ilinear
Bigger. Better. ilinear.
+27|6463|Lisburn, NI
Well, he just ran Orthos on blend for 12 hrs 15 mins with a max temp of 41, so it's running as stably as he's ever going to play it for.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6511|N. Ireland
You got lucky. Some computers have permanently damaged hardware because of an increase like that.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6585|NYC / Hamburg

leetkyle wrote:

You got lucky. Some computers have permanently damaged hardware because of an increase like that.
i dont see how you should damage your hardware like this. corruptions are possible when overclocking quickly, but unless you increase the voltages nothing too  bad can happen.

back to topic: good A64 stepping often is easyly clock to 250MHz "FSB" stable. just make sure you lower the mulit on the ram or do a thorough memtest run to make sure it can handle the speeds.

great A64 oc guide. it will answer 99% of all questions
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
ilinear
Bigger. Better. ilinear.
+27|6463|Lisburn, NI
Thanks Max, I was pretty sure I couldn't damage the hardware before I did this, and wasn't going to change the voltage at all, just going to get it as high as possible on stock voltage
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6511|N. Ireland

max wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

i dont see how you should damage your hardware like this. corruptions are possible when overclocking quickly, but unless you increase the voltages nothing too  bad can happen.

back to topic: good A64 stepping often is easyly clock to 250MHz "FSB" stable. just make sure you lower the mulit on the ram or do a thorough memtest run to make sure it can handle the speeds.

if you oc it too far without adjusting the voltage it can fry..
spray_and_pray
+52|6509|Perth. Western Australia

leetkyle wrote:

max wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Where the heck did you learn about computers? Did you find that peice of info on the side of a cereal packet? If you OC it too far the PC will go to blue screen or Auto reset or not load windows. After any of these things happen BIOS resets all the OC settings. If you put the voltage up too high you can fry it.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6585|NYC / Hamburg

spray_and_pray wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

max wrote:

Where the heck did you learn about computers? Did you find that peice of info on the side of a cereal packet? If you OC it too far the PC will go to blue screen or Auto reset or not load windows. After any of these things happen BIOS resets all the OC settings. If you put the voltage up too high you can fry it.
thank you. as i said the worst thing that can happen (on modern pcs that is) if you oc without adjusting the voltage is that windows wont load and all your data get corrupted. i.e. the software can go psycho on you but the hardware is undamaged
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
ilinear
Bigger. Better. ilinear.
+27|6463|Lisburn, NI
That's what I thought, and why I tried it.

Good to have it cleared up!

Thanks max for the help, and that guide for OCing an AMD, very handy.

+1
GR34
+215|6563|ALBERTA> CANADA
Ok what is FSB and i thought when u over clock u just go in the BIOS and set the CPU clock higher???
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6660|Deep In The South Of Texas
FSB = Front Side Bus. it's the frequency or clock speed that your system runs at. Then multipliers are applied to that and that determines the CPU and memory speeds. In essence overclocking is merely raising the FSB, which raises the CPU and memory speeds(factored by their multipliers), but in actuality it becomes more complicated than that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard