Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6601|Greenwood, IN

Homie22 wrote:

Brizzzer wrote:

Hey Bertster7 got any more information I can post in the resources section.
when u got vista did it come with 2 disks?

edit: max

o but u dont want oem can only install on one pc ;[
They come on DVDs now.  M$ I guess is assuming that most people have a DVD drive.  I mean if you don't most likely your computer can't handle the OS anyways.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6563|NYC / Hamburg

Brizzzer wrote:

Homie22 wrote:

Brizzzer wrote:

Hey Bertster7 got any more information I can post in the resources section.
when u got vista did it come with 2 disks?

edit: max

o but u dont want oem can only install on one pc ;[
They come on DVDs now.  M$ I guess is assuming that most people have a DVD drive.  I mean if you don't most likely your computer can't handle the OS anyways.
that should be an requirement. i am sick of the people whining because they cant install bf2 from DVD (and blaming EA) because they dont have a DVD drive
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6601|Greenwood, IN
I agree if you have the equipment to play BF2 or run Vista you should have a DVD drive to install the software.
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6772|Kansas, USA

Brizzzer wrote:

Your Vista Q&AQ: Is OEM version the same as retail version of Windows Vista.
A: Yes and no, while the OEM is the same OS general M$ limits the OEM versions to upgrades only and not full OS.  If you have a previously installed OS(Windows XP, ME, or 98se.) Then OEM will be just fine for you.  How ever OEM also limits to one computer only for the OS and is tied to the motherboard on which the OS is installed.
That is false. With XP OEM discs could ONLY be used for a Full installation and could not be used for an Upgrade install. But, apparently Vista OEM discs will allow for Full and Upgrade installations: "The Vista OEM versions will allow a user either to do a fresh installation, or to upgrade their previous Windows XP installation". [SOURCE]
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6601|Greenwood, IN
Great i'll fix it give me one min.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6626|Washington, DC

Only gripe I have about OEM is it just comes in a stupid little paper disc holder, not a cool case. I highly doubt the case adds another $100 or so to the price, so why not sell it WITH the sweet-looking case without all the damn support and manuals that I don't need because I know how to build a computer and install Windows?

edit: To all the nay-sayers of Vista:

95 to 98: We thought it'd suck

98 to 2000: We didn't want the change

*Pretend ME was never ever ever developed*

2000 to XP: Fuck XP, "just a reskin of 2000"

XP to Vista: Lots of folks clinging to XP like baby butterflies

I'm sure Vista will turn out to be a bold new OS that we'll all come to upgrade to. Granted, there's those first-release bugs that plague all OS *well, Mac and Windows OS anyways* releases, and the price is steep, but thankfully there's always enough people that are bold enough to dive in on release to see what the hell it's all about.

I'm hoping to upgrade soon, with a new computer I buy. First I have to make sure all the parts have Vista 64-compatible drivers.

Vista Ultimate DOES INDEED have both 32 and 64 bit version on it. The rest don't; you'll have to fill out a form on Microsoft's site for a free 64-bit DVD if you need it. Takes about 10 days last I checked, I heard 4-5 if you pay for DHL shipping.

Last edited by Hurricane (2007-02-01 15:12:26)

Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6778|The Hague, Holland
Q : When can we download it?

A : Give it a day or 2.

EDIT : Oh and.. Will it support floppy disks? Cause I still have one of those.. *ashamed*

Last edited by Sgt.Gh0st (2007-02-01 15:17:18)

r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6444

I would rather pay http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … =SW-040-MS , than http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … =SW-045-MS TBH

Last edited by rabee2789b (2007-02-01 15:18:33)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

Exactly. That's a price difference of about $400.

Bertster7 wrote:

I get everything OEM. It's cheaper.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-02-01 15:22:21)

Homie22
+34|6607|Orange County, California

Bertster7 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

its cheaper but u wont be able to install in on your new pc when u build it   lol
r'Eeee
+311|6444

Homie22 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

its cheaper but u wont be able to install in on your new pc when u build it   lol
Well, I only need the vista for this PC, my other one (has 256mb ram, so wut would u expect).
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6772|Kansas, USA

Hurricane wrote:

Only gripe I have about OEM is it just comes in a stupid little paper disc holder, not a cool case. I highly doubt the case adds another $100 or so to the price, so why not sell it WITH the sweet-looking case without all the damn support and manuals that I don't need because I know how to build a computer and install Windows?
Well, as someone who has worked in the commercial printing industry and now works for a software company I can state that something as simple as a plastic case can add hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars to the overall production costs. Another "reason" not to package the OEM version similar to the retail version would be to prevent the lay users from "accidentally" getting an OEM disc either through their own ignorance or beause of someone trying to pull a fast one. The biggest difference between a Retail disc and an OEM disc has nothing to do with the data on the discs or even the printed manuals. it's the fact that OEM discs come with no support. The person opening/installing the OEM software is responsible for providing support. For those who would never call MS for support this is a great way to save money, but not a good option for most users.

Hurricane wrote:

Vista Ultimate DOES INDEED have both 32 and 64 bit version on it. The rest don't; you'll have to fill out a form on Microsoft's site for a free 64-bit DVD if you need it. Takes about 10 days last I checked, I heard 4-5 if you pay for DHL shipping.
Where have you seen this. Early on MS stated that both versions would be available on one disc, but later changed their mind and stated that you would have to either buy 32bit or 64bit separately. I really hope that what you said is the case, because that is my biggest sticking point to upgrading any time soon. I don't want to go 64bit until it is a little more mature.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD

Yaocelotl wrote:

Q: Does it suck for gaming?
A: Absolutely.
lol, so true.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6601|Greenwood, IN

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

EDIT : Oh and.. Will it support floppy disks? Cause I still have one of those.. *ashamed*
Added your Q&A for the disk drive.  And the answer is yes.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

Homie22 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

So what? I could buy a second OEM copy and still be nearly £100 (nearly $200) better off.

Microsoft have said you will be able to install it again if you upgrade your machine, you just need to give them a call and sort it out. (According to max's post earlier at least).

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-02-01 15:36:45)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD

Brizzzer wrote:

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

What's wrong with still having a floppy drive?  They're great for school work.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

_j5689_ wrote:

Brizzzer wrote:

Sgt.Gh0st wrote:

What's wrong with still having a floppy drive?  They're great for school work.
They're good to have.

Although I find USB sticks are a much better way of moving relatively small files about.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6577|SE London

_j5689_ wrote:

Yaocelotl wrote:

Q: Does it suck for gaming?
A: Absolutely.
lol, so true.
Not true.

Crytek boss Cevat Yerli wrote:

With DirectX 10 we get performance increase and feature sets that allow the experience to be ultimately more cinematic, video-realistic and dense.
Hurricane
Banned

Floppies went out with using tapes to listen to music if you ask me. Flash drives/USB sticks, fast internets+e-mail ftw.

Yes, the 64-bit upgrade DVD thing is real but I'm not sure if there's a certain limit as to when you can redeem it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc … 64bit.mspx

And Vista Ultimate comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit on the DVD, or possibly one 32-bit DVD and one 64-bit DVD in the same box. Not sure, but you plop down 200/400 (Depending on your version choice) and both -bits are yours.

edit: Vista probably doesn't "suck" for gaming. I'd say the majority of any performance issues would be attributed to beta/fast-release drivers, not the OS. Give it time, MS isn't forcing you to upgrade. New software, new technologies, and new games will though. Granted, by the time Vista is the mainstream there'll probably be enough hotfixes (possibly a Service Pack) to fix the majority of the issues it has right now.

If you're intent on getting Vista, my advice would be to see if the manufacturers of your parts have drivers for Vista. Motherboard, video card, network card, sound card. Possibly monitor (I rarely install monitor drivers...), you'll also want to check for input device drivers.

Last edited by Hurricane (2007-02-01 15:56:32)

r'Eeee
+311|6444

YO guys, I have P4 HT 531. Does it support the 64 version?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6601|Greenwood, IN
I added an "How To's" section.  In which I pointed out how to disable User Account Control.  This removes all those annoying pop ups, however it will weaken your computers defense against viruses and stuff like that.  Also added a note to the BF2 and BF2142 installation section that has to do with UAC.

Edit: I'm working right now to get fraps to work.  It does not seem to work at all not even showing the FPS counter...

Last edited by Brizzzer (2007-02-01 15:59:15)

Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6601|Greenwood, IN

rabee2789b wrote:

I don't think any P4's support 64-bit but I could be wrong.
r'Eeee
+311|6444

Brizzzer wrote:

rabee2789b wrote:

I don't think any P4's support 64-bit but I could be wrong.
Ok then.... I might get this then http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … =SW-040-MS

Last edited by rabee2789b (2007-02-01 15:58:26)

Hurricane
Banned

I very highly doubt that Pentium 4 uses any 64-bit architecture. Wait, this just in from Wikipedia:

"Intel also released a series of Prescotts supporting EM64T, Intel's implementation of the AMD64 64-bit extensions to the x86 architecture. These were originally released as the F-series, and only sold to OEMs, but they were later renamed to the 5x1 series and sold to the general public. Two low-end EM64T-enabled Prescotts, based on the 5x5/5x9 series, were also released with model numbers 506 and 516."

So you might have EM64T, but you might not. If you've got a C2D though, you've got 64-bit.

edit: Prescott 2M and Cedar Mill purportedly also have EM64T.

Last edited by Hurricane (2007-02-01 15:59:50)

r'Eeee
+311|6444

https://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/rabee2789/dfdfs.jpg

Or

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m144 … /dfdfs.jpg

Don't understand anything...

Last edited by rabee2789b (2007-02-01 16:03:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard