Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
Oh sorry I thought you were saying that my link was an old list.  I thought it was a current list but since I found it at 3am and half asleep I might have missed something.  Thanks anyways.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Brizzzer wrote:

Oh sorry I thought you were saying that my link was an old list.  I thought it was a current list but since I found it at 3am and half asleep I might have missed something.  Thanks anyways.
That is kind of what I was saying.

Your link was to the RC2 incompatibilities, but if you click on the link at the top of the page that your link links to you get the current list.

(that's a lot of links)
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
Fixed guys keep the questions coming so the list can get bigger.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6532|British Columbia, Canada
I have Windows XP Running and my Box for Windows Vista sitting next to me, should I install it?

XP works fine for me.. why should I upgrade?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
Well I figure since you have it next to you planned on installing it.  But run 32bit version cause there are some installer issues with 64bit unless you need 64bit stick with 32bit.  And yes there is a performance decrease but it will smooth out some more when better drivers come out.

Last edited by Brizzzer (2007-02-01 13:12:12)

LT.Victim
+1,175|6532|British Columbia, Canada
Well then I mine as well wait to install it.
NasmNLH
+6|6618

Brizzzer wrote:

Well depending on which version you get, the 64bit offers better security well cause its 64bit.
Pardon me, but what do you mean by that?  I'm not at all an expert on the matter, but I fail to see why the 64-bit version of Vista would be any different, security-wise, than the 32-bit version.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
From my best guess from reading stuff while writing the FAQ its related to the fact virus will needed to be write in 64bit code in order to mess with 64bit programs.  As far as effecting the OS it self I have no clue.  But I just read about programs on a 64bit OS.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Brizzzer wrote:

Well I figure since you have it next to you planned on installing it.  But run 32bit version cause there are some installer issues with 64bit unless you need 64bit stick with 32bit.  And yes there is a performance decrease but it will smooth out some more when better drivers come out.
I can't say I agree at all.

I'm running 64-bit Vista and have had no driver issues whatsoever. I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a 32-bit version of Vista. If you don't have a 64-bit CPU, your system is unlikely to get any benefit from Vista (not anything to do with being 64-bit or not, but to do with the age of components). If you do have a 64-bit CPU, then get a 64-bit version of Vista.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Versions are:
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Business N
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Basic N
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Starter
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Enterprise
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
I still don't see the point in 64-bit till more 64-bit programs/games come out.  Other than a little bit fast OS run time thats really it right now.

Edit: You know what though name everything that you can think of why they should get 64-bit NOT why they shouldn't get 32-bit.

Last edited by Brizzzer (2007-02-01 13:47:00)

Homie22
+34|6581|Orange County, California
vista good enough or stable enough to use?? IM gonna go buy ultimate for $400 but dunno if i should wait

my specs are 3.3 ghz 1.5 gb ram 7900 gt 256

also is the vista price gonna drop within a year? cause i dunno if xp did 0_0

thx

Last edited by Homie22 (2007-02-01 13:51:57)

Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
You should be good to go without too much trouble.  Although I would add another 512MB of RAM if you can.  Have no clue about the price drop though.
Homie22

Brizzzer wrote:

You should be good to go without too much trouble.  Although I would add another 512MB of RAM if you can.  Have no clue about the price drop though.
well i'm gonna be buildung pc in few months so i dont wanna waste $$ on ram when im gonna have to get ddr2  since tghats better lol

anyone know about price ever dropping within a year for vista?

Last edited by Homie22 (2007-02-01 13:58:34)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Brizzzer wrote:

I still don't see the point in 64-bit till more 64-bit programs/games come out.  Other than a little bit fast OS run time thats really it right now.

Edit: You know what though name everything that you can think of why they should get 64-bit NOT why they shouldn't get 32-bit.
Numerous as yet unreleased applications will have 64-bit extensions. Expect to see most games provided with 64-bit content, meaning much more goodness. I am almost certain Crysis will include 64-bit extensions, if not at launch, soon after - Crytek were very quick to release an update for Farcry to take advantage of 64-bit CPUs. Expect to see a lot of software optimised for a 64-bit environment.

OS side, 64-bit instructions should improve the speed of a lot of OS functionality.

You also have to remember that very few 32-bit apps have any issues running in 64-bit Vista. Because these are x86_64 CPUs which run an extension of IA-32 code. Virtual PC should eliminate almost all the issues with compatibility between 32 and 64-bit applications, not that I have noticed any issues myself. Some apps do need to have new code written, but only those that deal with driver level fuctions, Daemon Tools for example. Other apps run fine in 64-bit Vista (or XP for that matter).

If you buy a 32-bit copy of Vista, you will be very left out when loads of new 64-bit content starts appearing everywhere (it is true that not much is about yet, but there is some) and you'll have to buy a new copy of Vista to get 64-bit functionality.

It seems really, really stupid to me to buy a copy of an OS that has very slightly better compatibility and driver support - but less functionality over an OS that may have a few very minor compatibilty issues at the moment (virtually all of which have workarounds), issues that will most likely disappear soon.

Most people have 64-bit CPUs. Use them.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
Could you put that in a form I could put in the first post?  Also do you have a source for that?
Homie22

Bertster7 wrote:

Brizzzer wrote:

Numerous as yet unreleased applications will have 64-bit extensions. Expect to see most games provided with 64-bit content, meaning much more goodness. I am almost certain Crysis will include 64-bit extensions, if not at launch, soon after - Crytek were very quick to release an update for Farcry to take advantage of 64-bit CPUs. Expect to see a lot of software optimised for a 64-bit environment.

OS side, 64-bit instructions should improve the speed of a lot of OS functionality.

You also have to remember that very few 32-bit apps have any issues running in 64-bit Vista. Because these are x86_64 CPUs which run an extension of IA-32 code. Virtual PC should eliminate almost all the issues with compatibility between 32 and 64-bit applications, not that I have noticed any issues myself. Some apps do need to have new code written, but only those that deal with driver level fuctions, Daemon Tools for example. Other apps run fine in 64-bit Vista (or XP for that matter).

If you buy a 32-bit copy of Vista, you will be very left out when loads of new 64-bit content starts appearing everywhere (it is true that not much is about yet, but there is some) and you'll have to buy a new copy of Vista to get 64-bit functionality.

It seems really, really stupid to me to buy a copy of an OS that has very slightly better compatibility and driver support - but less functionality over an OS that may have a few very minor compatibilty issues at the moment (virtually all of which have workarounds), issues that will most likely disappear soon.

i think vista ultimate comes with both 64 and 32 :]
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Brizzzer wrote:

Could you put that in a form I could put in the first post?  Also do you have a source for that?
Urrrghhh. Any form I put things in will probably end up terribly complicated, I have a knack for making confusing, garbled posts about hardware, that go into far too much background detail in some areas and not enough in others.

I could give you some links to read up on it.

Wiki explain the instruction set and architecture and how it is not a true 64-bit architecture and is 32-bit compatible here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_64

As you should be able to see, any unsupported CPU features will be possible to emulate. Emulation works slower, but it's all old stuff so it should work fast enough anyway.

Brief explanation of extra 64-bit features in Farcry.
There is also a free patch for the game to upgrade to the 64-bit edition. This version only works with a 64-bit CPU and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, although an aftermarket patch has been released to convert the 64-bit features to 32-bit systems. The 64-bit enhancements include bumpmapped rockface textures, increased environment activity (extra birds, insects), as well as some 64-bit-specific improvements. Several new maps were also added.
The speed with which Crytek released this patch suggests to me that Crysis may well take advantage of some 64-bit extensions (possibly through an aftermarket patch).

I believe the last Unreal Tournament had some 64-bit functionality as well. At the time Linux was the only 64-bit platform for it though and the Linux version didn't have SSE extensions working so performance increases were minimal.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-02-01 14:30:50)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Homie22 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Brizzzer wrote:

I think you're wrong.

https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7775/untitledap8.jpg
Homie22

Bertster7 wrote:

Homie22 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I think you're wrong.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7775/untitledap8.jpg
oh welll ;/ i might buy it tonite if i do i wuill post here if it comes with both.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … 8317974609

it says

Number of CD-ROM:         2

i think it does xd

Last edited by Homie22 (2007-02-01 14:31:39)

Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6575|Greenwood, IN
Hey Bertster7 got any more information I can post in the resources section.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

Homie22 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Homie22 wrote:

I think you're wrong.

oh welll ;/ i might buy it tonite if i do i wuill post here if it comes with both.
in fact it depends on the version you are getting. OEM is either 32 or 64 bit. retail is both on 1 dvd
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Homie22

Brizzzer wrote:

when u got vista did it come with 2 disks?

edit: max

o but u dont want oem can only install on one pc ;[

Last edited by Homie22 (2007-02-01 14:32:53)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

max wrote:

Homie22 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I think you're wrong.

in fact it depends on the version you are getting. OEM is either 32 or 64 bit. retail is both on 1 dvd
I didn't realise that.

I get everything OEM. It's cheaper.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-02-01 14:36:19)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

Homie22 wrote:

Brizzzer wrote:

when u got vista did it come with 2 disks?

edit: max

o but u dont want oem can only install on one pc ;[
apparentely it is possible to install OEM on a new pc. you have to call MS and say you did some upgrades.

also when you buy retail you can only install on 1 pc at a time because it apparentely locks you out of the 1st one (it calls home every 180 days to check if you have not installed it on another pc) if you register it to another pc

everything is still pretty vague at the moment so dont take my for it though.

Last edited by max (2007-02-01 14:37:43)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard