Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6629|Washington, DC

I'm looking to getting Vista should I get another computer. Since this is gonna be a home-built computer, it's not gonna be pre-installed like those Dells. Should I just use my XP install disc, put XP on the machine, then upgrade to Vista? (I'm still gonna use the other machine that has the same disc's install of XP) Or should I get the Full version? I don't want to get any problems with too much clutter, or some sort of license issues.

Also, is Ultimate really worth the grave price tag? Or should I save some cash and get Home Premium? Frankly, all that "Ultimate Apps" stuff sound like a bunch of memory-hogging gewgaws. All I need is a slick-looking (Aero Glass) OS with the core advancements of Vista, some movie-making stuff (I gather from what I've read that Vista has WMM), and the ability to use DX10. I'm smart and use AV and spyware scanners, so I don't need to pay more for auto-installed AV software.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6705|67.222.138.85
Why do you need DX10 so bad right now?
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6640|Deep In The South Of Texas
First off, Vista cost the same as XP did at launch.

The upgrade versions of Home Basic and Home Premium it will require XP to be installed before Vista can be.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11728

The upgrade versions of Business and Ultimate don't seem to require this.

As for which version is best, I'm leaning towards Business. I don't see any need for the built-in photo sharing or DVD creation that Ultimate offers and can't justify the price for them IMHO.
Christen[30AU]
Attain By Surprise
+41|6761|Oregon, USA
Gotta love a dad who gets vista for free since he works with Hewlett Packard....lol.

Anyways, I have the ultimate edition, and IMHO I'd say its worth it. Very pretty and runs bf2 and bf2142 fine without any noticeable problems so far.
The Stillhouse Kid
BTW, you can save yourself some dough and get the FULL version of Ultimate OEM for $200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6832116215
ReTox
+100|6498|State of RETOXification
Past OEM versions of Windows could only be obtained with a new PC this may be the same.
The Stillhouse Kid
All OEM usually requires is for a piece of hardware to be purchased with the software, though this isn't always enforced. I just bought XP Pro OEM from ZipZoomFly without buying anything else.

From Newegg:

What are the differences between the OEM and retail versions of a product?
Retail versions may come with additional accessories, retail packaging, bundled software and warranty coverage. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), White Box and Brown Box versions include the product and sometimes the drivers, but not much else. They are packaged generically and do not include software. OEM products are best-suited for system builders who don't require documentation or bundled accessories.
Here's Microsoft's official 2ยข on OEM:

http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/Publ … icense.pdf
Hurricane
Banned

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Why do you need DX10 so bad right now?
I don't, but it's gonna be the standard sooner or later so why not now?
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6670
DO NOT upgrade to vista for at least 3 months (I recommend 6).

Remember XP release (Or any other OS), and the hundreds of problems, some small, other major.  Hotfix after hotfix.

Well now (For the most part) XP runs well, however it took months and months to get it running right.

They have beta testers for Vista, however when released, you got millions of testers and the bugs, CTD's, BSOD, etc will be many.  Let them work out all the bugs, hotfixes. then pick it up.  You will be much happier.

Furthermore, you will have a better understanding of what version is hot and what's not.

My 2 cents.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6644
I would rather get some computer parts gaming is not so good for vista, XP is better for gaming.
The Stillhouse Kid
Yeah, I have no intention of switching until after SP1 is released later this year. Plus with 64 bit driver support so spotty and no DX10 games out right now, why bother?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6492|N. Ireland
home premium is probably the best money>performance ratio in my opinion.
terrafirma
Press 1 to Kill
+81|6653|Westminster, Colorado

Stealth42o wrote:

Remember XP release (Or any other OS), and the hundreds of problems, some small, other major.  Hotfix after hotfix.

Well now (For the most part) XP runs well, however it took months and months to get it running right.

They have beta testers for Vista, however when released, you got millions of testers and the bugs, CTD's, BSOD, etc will be many.  Let them work out all the bugs, hotfixes. then pick it up.  You will be much happier.

Furthermore, you will have a better understanding of what version is hot and what's not.

My 2 cents.
I agree.

However, they are now R(ed)SOD's and not BSOD's with Vista
Hurricane
Banned

terrafirma wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

My 2 cents.
I agree.

Cool, now I can feel like the commander of a Navy submarine.
Mad Ad
+178|6509|England, UK

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

From what source did you hear this?

All I have heard is that you CAN do it without XP but you still need to install vista twice

http://www.dailytech.com/Workaround+Dis … le5932.htm

but im interested to see where you have read that the ultimate and business upgrades are not included in this.
The Stillhouse Kid

Mad Ad wrote:

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

From what source did you hear this?

All I have heard is that you CAN do it without XP but you still need to install vista twice

http://www.dailytech.com/Workaround+Dis … le5932.htm

but im interested to see where you have read that the ultimate and business upgrades are not included in this.
Since that article in my 1st post focuses on Home versions, an makes no mention of Business and Ultimate upgrade versions I say it would seem that they aren't included in this condition, and so far I haven't come across anything that says they would. Either way, as I also said, you can get the full install OEM versions for less than the retail upgrade.
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6485|UK
A word of warning, if you have 32bit xp you can only upgrade to a 32bit version of Vista

If you want the 64bit bad boy you have to shell out for the whole thing - not the upgrade
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6395|Indianapolis, IN
eff Vista in the A, have fun with your bugs until SP1 comes out.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

terrafirma wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

My 2 cents.
I agree.

Are they?

I've had a BSOD running Vista. How did that happen then?

It wasn't Microsofts fault, it was down to Beta G80 drivers, solved by the final version.

I have to say I disagree. I've been running Vista as a secondary OS for a little while and I've been astonished by how well it's been performing and by the fact I have NO driver or compatibility issues whatsoever running the 64-bit version of ultimate.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-02-01 13:05:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard