What is acceleration?

Acceleration is speeding up45%45% - 40
Acceleration is slowing down0%0% - 0
Acceleration is speeding up and slowing down54%54% - 47
Total: 87
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811
So really I think acceleration is speeding up and slowing down.
The equation to acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time. Don't think so prove it.
So if you have a negative velocity that would mean negative acceleration or commonly known as deacceleration.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6726|United States of America
Both. You learn this in 7th Grade. Are you in 7th grade?
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811
Do you think I am in the seventh grade cause I know I didn't learn this in the 7th grade or the 8th grade or anywhere near the time I was in middle school.
And 2142 is gay
Don't say I am in the 7th grade look at the post under me and say that he is in 10th grade.

Last edited by A-Unit64 (2007-01-30 20:20:08)

Mr.Casual
p-n*|3eergogglz
+136|6479|Minnesota eh
Isn't it deceleration if you slow down? and acceleration if you speed up?
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6376|NSW, Australia

Mr.Casual wrote:

Isn't it deceleration if you slow down? and acceleration if you speed up?
yeah....i think....this thread has turned my world upside down
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811
I don't think so... I used to think that though but it is still confusing if you think about it.
-[Silver.Inc*
BF2s AU Server Admin
+315|6551|Melbourne, Australia.
The rate of change of the velocity of a moving body.
Basically, the rate at which the speed of an object changes...

eg. A car going 100 km accelerated by 1km/s.

^                            ^     ^
                     speed of object          rate that it changes

One of the first things you learn is physics, no? .

Last edited by -[Silver.Inc* (2007-01-30 20:25:50)

Mr.Casual
p-n*|3eergogglz
+136|6479|Minnesota eh
I'm right. Just accept it.

jk, idk the answer, just a guess
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811
So just a quick question, the 2nd post basically states if you don't know this you are in the 6th-k grades? So what grades are you really in cause I don't like the fact that someone said that to me.
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811
You are accelerating whenever you:

speed up - This is not difficult to grasp, since it is the common conception of acceleration.

slow down - People commonly call this deceleration, as if it were physically different from the "speeding up" case - but to a physicist, it's all the same - if your velocity is changing, you are accelerating.

change direction - This one can be tough to grasp. Since velocity is your speed and direction, your velocity changes if your direction changes (even if your speed stays the same) Nope. This acceleration is just as real as the "speeding up" (and "slowing down") kind of acceleration.
power9787
+10|6552
the derivative of velocity or change in velocity or second derivative of displacement
for example
lets say the displacement function is 3x2, the slope is the velocity      =d/dx 3x2= 6x
d/dx 6x= 6 then that is the acceleration
power9787
+10|6552
or (velocity final - velocity intitial)/ change in time
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6382|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
Its both. You accelerate negatively(or decelerate) or positively.
Also, say you have a weight attached to a string and you're swinging it around in a circle. That weight is constantly accelerating, but in a different direction at every moment.
Get it?
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811
so basically if the velocity changes the acceleration changes and is called acceleration or turning at any angle even at the same speed. So why do people mistake this all the time

ha dictionary.com first def isn't 100% right
    the act of accelerating; increase of speed or velocity

Last edited by A-Unit64 (2007-01-30 20:31:22)

acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6663|NAS Jacksonville, Florida

A-Unit64 wrote:

so basically if the velocity changes the acceleration changes and is called acceleration or turning at any angle even at the same speed. So why do people mistake this all the time
If you're asking this for something school-related, look in your Physics book.
burton
+9|6390|Da Bay, California
acceleration is any change in speed. done. its over.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6382|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

A-Unit64 wrote:

because of common beliefs and myths. Also, mis-education(or lack thereof) as well as plain old stupidity come into the mix.
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

A-Unit64 wrote:

I don't want to! Its somewhere in my locker about 2 miles away from my house and this has been bothering me  so I needed actual people to answer me.
I was told all this info on this page itself in about 20 seconds. Thinking what the fuck is this supposed to mean?
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6730|San Antonio, Texas
The rate of change of velocity (Not speed). Either positive or negative.
acEofspadEs6313

A-Unit64 wrote:

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

A-Unit64 wrote:

I don't want to! Its somewhere in my locker about 2 miles away from my house and this has been bothering me  so I needed actual people to answer me.
I was told all this info on this page itself in about 20 seconds. Thinking what the fuck is this supposed to mean?
Wow, you're gonna have a really tough time for the rest of your physics course if you don't get acceleration.
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811
Not if my teacher doesn't talk freakishly fast and explain things better and not assuming we can glue words to our brains and absorb all the info in about 20 seconds of explanation because we are all in honors.

* as you can see my teacher basically sucks*

Last edited by A-Unit64 (2007-01-30 20:39:59)

mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6605|Ames, IA

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

The rate of change of velocity (Not speed). Either positive or negative.
It could be speed too, acceleration can be a scalar or vector quantity, although most commonly vector.
acEofspadEs6313

A-Unit64 wrote:

Not if my teacher doesn't talk freakishly fast and explain things better and not assuming we can glue words to our brains and absorb all the info in about 20 seconds of explanation because we are all in honors.

* as you can see my teacher basically sucks*
My physics teacher for the past two years in high school didn't teach at all. I got everything until it came to the extremely hard shit at the end of each year.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6730|San Antonio, Texas
It doesn't matter that you're in honors, you signed up for that class because you wanted to be challenged... I took Honors Physics and I got a 98 in the class. It's not that hard as long as you understand math. And it is better if you used / read your book...
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6811
yeah I don't like either type of teachers because I want to learn it even though I don't want to and I can't understand it completely.
completely may or may not mean understanding around 80%. 80%=easy
20%=hard

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard