Asus G227%27% - 8
Alienware series20%20% - 6
Dell XPS24%24% - 7
Acer0%0% - 0
Other13%13% - 4
Total: 29
T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY
So I'm about to deploy to Iraq in a month or so, I'm out in the field right now (on my satellite internets xD) lookin for the best laptop for under 2 grand.  The best candidates I can find right now are these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834220099 - Asus G2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834220098 - Asus G1

What I want:

- Under $2000
- A decent size HD (at least 120 GB)
- 2 GBs RAM
- at least 2.5 hours battery life while under use
- a mid to high-range graphics card
- weight doesn't matter
- screen size at least 15"

I've read a few reviews on the Asus G1 and G2 and really like what I see.  I'm pretty sure I'm locked in on those two now but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other candidates out there that I haven't found.

These two are pretty much the same laptop with different size screens (15.4" vs 17.1") and different comparable graphics cards (Geforce go 7700 512 MB vs. ATI mobility X1700 512 MB).  I've looked at the Dell XPSs and Alienwares but they are considerably more expensive for about the same specs as these.  Plus these Asuss' come with a nice Logitech MX518 and backpacks.  What do you all think about these two and if you think I should look at something else.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland
My vote goes for the G2. If you are worried about graphics, go for that new Asus graphics adaptor. It's in the tech section here somewhere!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK
Mine... ill just list it in one sec.

Dell Inspiron 9400

Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 2.0 Ghz
L2 Cache 4,096 KB
2048 MB DDR Ram
NVIDIA Geforce Go 7900 GS
1920x1200
£1420

Plays every game out at the moment on highest graphics without any lag.

soz didnt see the $ thought it was £

Last edited by Vilham (2007-01-28 13:01:00)

T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY

Vilham wrote:

Mine... ill just list it in one sec.

Dell Inspiron 9400

Core 2 Duo T7200 @ 2.0 Ghz
L2 Cache 4,096 KB
2048 MB DDR Ram
NVIDIA Geforce Go 7900 GS
1920x1200
£1420

Plays every game out at the moment on highest graphics without any lag.

soz didnt see the $ thought it was £
Is that the model series they sell in UK or something?  I don't see and Inspiron 9000 series laptops on their site.  Anyway, I doubt the battery life is any good on that though esp. while gaming.  The cards in the G1 and G2 are specifically designed to be ran off a battery for low power consumption.  I'm sure it's (the 7900 GS) a lot better for games, but I'd like to game for longer periods while on my battery than have them look prettier during the 45 mins that I'm gaming.

Last edited by T4rd (2007-01-28 13:18:38)

=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6512|Houston, TX
You will not get 2 and a half hours of batter life....give up on that.  You'd be lucky to get an hour and 45 mins, with those requirements.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK
Mine has 6 hours while watching films, i expect it to be much less while playing games. I always have it plugged in though so i wouldnt know.

Not sure if its a UK only model, sorry i cant help you more.
T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

You will not get 2 and a half hours of batter life....give up on that.  You'd be lucky to get an hour and 45 mins, with those requirements.
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a … w=Asus+G2P

Read the battery section of the review;

"My battery life tests yielded the following, on Max Battery for P4G and WIFI On.

* 16/16 Brightness – 2 hours 15 minutes
    * 8/16 Brightness – 2 hours 24 minutes
    * 1/16 Brightness – 2 hours 47 minutes

If you were to game on the G2P with a battery you can yield close to 2 hours, with max brightness and WIFI On.

If you are planning on using this notebook to be a portable laptop with the need of more battery life, I would suggest purchasing another main batter to extend your battery life."

I didn't mean 2.5 hours while gaming.  Sorry for the confusion.  But just with normal desktop usage.

Thanks for the help anyway, Vilham!

Last edited by T4rd (2007-01-28 13:29:09)

MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6381|Pittsburgh, PA USA
G2, I've read good things about those ASUS lappys. Whatever you do just please don't buy an Alienware, I just bought a desktop for over $3,000 & have spent around $1,000 upgrading/replacing bum parts & almost 6 hours talking to tech support since then. Plus I found pubes in the thermal grease on my CPU & they wanted me to send my whole entire system back just to replace a $20 card reader. much more too but I don't wanna type EVERYTHING.
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6512|Houston, TX

T4rd wrote:

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a … w=Asus+G2P

Read the battery section of the review;

"My battery life tests yielded the following, on Max Battery for P4G and WIFI On.

* 16/16 Brightness – 2 hours 15 minutes
    * 8/16 Brightness – 2 hours 24 minutes
    * 1/16 Brightness – 2 hours 47 minutes

If you were to game on the G2P with a battery you can yield close to 2 hours, with max brightness and WIFI On.

If you are planning on using this notebook to be a portable laptop with the need of more battery life, I would suggest purchasing another main batter to extend your battery life."

I didn't mean 2.5 hours while gaming.  Sorry for the confusion.  But just with normal desktop usage.

Thanks for the help anyway, Vilham!
I understood the 2.5 hours requirement to be for gaming.  2.5 hrs with normal usage, and screen turned down is quite achievable, as you posted here. 
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6545|Valhalla
T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY
I cant find anywhere that specifies if the G1 or G2s graphics cards are upgradeable or not.  I've never had a laptop so I'm not as sharp on them as far as upgradeable components are concerned.  Are there any laptops that you can replace the graphics cards in?  If so, I will definitely get the G2 and just upgrade it later.

I found that graphics adapter you were talkin about here:  http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=5369

I would definitely consider buying it, but it's not due out until Q2 2007 and I'll be gone by then.  I'd take that and my X1900XTX out of my desktop and use it if I could buy it now though, heh.  That'd be sweet.  But it doesn't even look compatible with the G2 cuz it doesn't even have an express card slot.  Just a PCMCIA type II slot.  Which seems to be one of the few downers about this laptop.  But it I can upgrade the card after a while, then it doesn't matter to me.  Can anyone verify this for me somehow?  Much appreciated so-far guys.

Last edited by T4rd (2007-01-30 10:43:38)

URE_DED
BF2s US Server Admin
+76|6629|inside the recesses of your...
I had an XPS - loved it to death.  Plus you just keep renewing the basic service warranty and as parts fail you'll get free upgrades.  I sent in my XPS Gen 2 for a motherboard - it came back an M140.  Went from GeForce 6800 to a 7800.

PLUS, around the end of each quarter, Dell throws coupons codes out there.  I used a 40% off code to get a $3000 laptop for $1750. 

Tough to beat.

Last edited by URE_DED (2007-01-30 13:13:15)

Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6412|dm_maidenhead
If your being stationed in Iraq shouldn't you be fighting or keeping the peace, not playing computer games.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6535|South Florida
Dont get a gaming laptop nuff sed
BUUUUUUUUUUUT if you have to, then maybe the XPS? i honestly dont hang around the gaming laptops very much. But something tells me the XPS would be over priced just because its dell and its popular.

Last edited by Dezerteagal5 (2007-01-30 11:22:06)

15 more years! 15 more years!
T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY

petermassingale wrote:

If your being stationed in Iraq shouldn't you be fighting or keeping the peace, not playing computer games.
LMAO... I hope you are not being serious. 

If you are:

What.. you think we don't have any spare time to ourselves in Iraq?!  You think we are THAT sincerely dedicated that we're going to me holding Hajis' hand every waking moment that we're going to be over there?  That we're expected to not have any life of ourselves for the year and a half I'm going to be there??  If so, then you are sorry to say; completely ignorant. 

Besides, I'm not infantry or on any of that front-line shit.  I'm commo (communications).  I sit in a tent all day and keep internet and phones up and working.  It's not hard and I have plenty of spare time.

Last edited by T4rd (2007-01-30 11:31:03)

T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

Dont get a gaming laptop nuff sed
BUUUUUUUUUUUT if you have to, then maybe the XPS? i honestly dont hang around the gaming laptops very much. But something tells me the XPS would be over priced just because its dell and its popular.
I completely agree actually.  But there's no way I'm going to drag my big-ass gaming desktop over there.  And I need something that'll play my games that I play on my desktop... so I'm left with no choice.  I agree that the XPS is not worth the money they're charging too.  The base model XPS starts at $2200 and only comes with a gig of RAM and an 80 gig hard drive.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6412|dm_maidenhead

T4rd wrote:

petermassingale wrote:

LMAO... I hope you are not being serious. 

If you are:

What.. you think we don't have any spare time to ourselves in Iraq?!  You think we are THAT sincerely dedicated that we're going to me holding Hajis' hand every waking moment that we're going to be over there?  That we're expected to not have any life of ourselves for the year and a half I'm going to be there??  If so, then you are sorry to say; completely ignorant. 

Besides, I'm not infantry or on any of that front-line shit.  I'm commo (communications).  I sit in a tent all day and keep internet and phones up and working.  It's not hard and I have plenty of spare time.
Dude don't worry yourself about it. It was a joke.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6633|Camp XRay

i would suggest the macbook pro. yes i know it's a mac, but you it's sturdy and has a great screen. set up windows in bootcamp and you can play anything you like. also it's fairly durable. i have dragged my from russia to the middle of the congo and it has never let me down.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY

petermassingale wrote:

Dude don't worry yourself about it. It was a joke.
I figured it was, but just in case it wasn't, I had to say that, lol.  Next time you should prolly put an emoticon or something at the end of a sentence to let everyone know you're joking. 

Marlboroman82 wrote:

i would suggest the macbook pro. yes i know it's a mac, but you it's sturdy and has a great screen. set up windows in bootcamp and you can play anything you like. also it's fairly durable. i have dragged my from russia to the middle of the congo and it has never let me down.
Oh yeah, I forgot that Macs now have Intels in them.  Dont you just have to partition the HD and put XP or Vista on a seperate partition to get it to work?  I haven't looked yet, but I know Macs are expensive.  Is there a Macbook that's comparable to the G2 for the same price?  I'm gonna look after I post this reply though.  Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by T4rd (2007-01-30 15:41:02)

Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6682
There is a gaming laptop that exists?  I didn't know.
T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY

Stealth42o wrote:

There is a gaming laptop that exists?  I didn't know.
/fail
T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY
Yay!  I just ordered my G2 off or ewiz.com for $1750 which was $100 less than what Newegg had it for!  I should have it in a few days.  Thanks for all the help guys!!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Why the G2 over the G1? Surely the better screen resolution and faster GPU in the G1 would make it a better choice for gaming.
motherdear
+25|6661|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
go for a zepto www.zepto.com great PC's, if you buy over 1,5 grand it's defiantly worth it because you save money and they got a great service and support department.
T4rd
+44|6686|West Point, NY

Bertster7 wrote:

Why the G2 over the G1? Surely the better screen resolution and faster GPU in the G1 would make it a better choice for gaming.
Well I saw the benchmarks and they were about dead even in the scores in 3dmark05/06.  And I've always bought ATI and never had a problem with them.  Plus I like the AVIVO tech for hooking up to my 46" Sony XBR2 1080p LCD .

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard