BVC
+325|6695
I'm sick of reading about international politics here all the time, so its time for something a bit different.  Please try and keep discussion away from Iraq, America, Israel, Islam etc

We're all familiar with the idea of a "gateway" drug; a drug which, if used is purported to lead its user towards harder, more dangerous drugs.

Are tobacco and/or alcohol types of gateway drugs?  I'd say nearly all hard drug (heroin, meth etc) users have used both before and continue to do so, so does this qualify them for the status of "gateway drugs"?

Discuss.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6493|Connecticut
I dont do drugs, never have, cant say I never will. I do drink though. Alcohol is an addiction in its own right but I dont beleive social drinking leads to alcolism. I think its when something catastrophic happens in your life and you begin to use alcohol as a crutch to comfort or compensate, thats when you begin your dependency. Or your born with it.
Malloy must go
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6502|Houston, TX
Um, no.  Tobacco and alcohol use (moderation with alcohol) do not lead you to a druggie lifestyle.  As such, they are not gateway drugs.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6757|Argentina
Alcohol is a lot of times the previous step to drugs.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Pubic wrote:

Are tobacco and/or alcohol types of gateway drugs?  I'd say nearly all hard drug (heroin, meth etc) users have used both before and continue to do so, so does this qualify them for the status of "gateway drugs"?

Discuss.
There is an obvious fallacy to the argument above regarding tobacco/alcohol being gateway drugs.  Many people smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol and have never done meth/heroin/crack.

Personally I believe that it is the type of personality a person has (generally speaking) that leads them to experiment with different things, drugs included.

The propensity of someone to try new things differs among people.  Some people are more willing to try new things (both good and bad) then other people.  In the end, I'd say it is more personality and environment (people you are friends with and/or look up to) that influence a decision than the substance itself.
nlsme
+48|6415|new york

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Pubic wrote:

Discuss.
There is an obvious fallacy to the argument above regarding tobacco/alcohol being gateway drugs.  Many people smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol and have never done meth/heroin/crack.

Personally I believe that it is the type of personality a person has (generally speaking) that leads them to experiment with different things, drugs included.

The propensity of someone to try new things differs among people.  Some people are more willing to try new things (both good and bad) then other people.  In the end, I'd say it is more personality and environment (people you are friends with and/or look up to) that influence a decision than the substance itself.
A lot of people smoke pot, and never will do crack meth or coke, but that is considered a "gateway drug". And to the person that said I don't do drugs. You are wrong. If you drink alcohol, you do in FACT do drugs.

Last edited by nlsme (2007-01-28 15:37:44)

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6480|Somewhere else

I believe in the idea that certain people are genetically predisposed to developing addictions to drugs and are also more willing to take drugs.

I drink.  I smoked pot in high school  a shit ton.  I havent touched pot in about 8 years.  While I was doing a ton of pot,  I didn't try meth, cocaine or herion. Nothing hardcore besides Mushrooms and LSD.  BUT!  I didn't do mushrooms and LSD until long after I stopped smoking pot.   I wanted to experience a hallucinogenic trip. I didn't want "to get high" at that point.
liquix
+51|6454|Peoples Republic of Portland
i'd say so
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6653
Gateway to what?  Addiction?  People can develop an addiction to anything, at any time, completely independently of what they have and haven't tried before.  And completely independently of any addictions they have or don't have previously.  The very existence of the phrase "gateway drug" is a fallacy and betrays a deep, deep misunderstanding of the causes and solutions to substance dependence.

I've tried everything there is going at least once, there was a time where if someone had something I hadn't tried I would always give it a go.  I learned that I don't even like cocaine or heroin, even when it's free.  I enjoyed dissociatives far more, and enjoyed a fairly brief addiction.  Essentially moving out of the lifestyle where there would be ketamine on a plate (literally) at every place I would visit during a day got rid of that problem.  This was all before it was trendy too, I lost a lot of interest in it when I found out Kate Moss was into it.

Anyway, I don't think any gateway is required for the hardest drugs, since the current prohibition and constant busts makes them so profitable that you can buy them on the street any time of day or night, and you won't usually get robbed because that would not be good for business.  If anything the current classifications make those drugs easy to get at a younger age than alcohol and tobacco, since I doubt that anyone on the frontline will ask for a ProveIt ID card. 

In my experience, the people who believe in the concept of gateway drugs are those with the poorest knowledge of drugs and addiction.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6766|UK
I drink. Thats the only long term thing ive done.

Ive smoked before, ive smoked weed, ive snorted cocaine. Im not addicted to anything... as far as im concerned none of the things ive done have made me want to continue doing them or do other drugs.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina
Tobacco and alcohol are gateway markets, not gateway drugs.

In other words, the tobacco and alcohol lobbyists are the reason why things like marijuana are still illegal, so they literally control whether or not we can smoke pot legally.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6644
the human mind is a gateway drug
jonsimon
+224|6495
Tobacco and Alcohol are as much gateway 'drugs' or perhaps more generally 'vices' as marijuana or other supposed 'gateway drugs'.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6640|Your moms bedroom
alcohol and tobacco are about as gateway as chewing gum and ritalin
jimbo21
+11|6652
i don't think pot is even a gate way drug
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6394|The Gem Saloon
i smoke chronic like its going out of style.
am i an addict? i dont think so, i live a normal life, i just smoke weed during it.
i have a wife a business and a house, and ive gotten all of that while i chiefed chronic.
some people are just weak, and will blame whatever is easiest so they dont seem that way.
d.cripz
+29|6409
as long as you smoke, drink, or smoke weed as a way of fitting in or just for socializing i dont think its a gateway to any where. Basically if you do it to be cool and not cause you need to its cool.
commandochristian
Honda - The Power of Dreams
+293|6413|Michigan, USA

deeznutz1245 wrote:

I dont do drugs, never have, cant say I never will. I do drink though. Alcohol is an addiction in its own right but I dont beleive social drinking leads to alcolism. I think its when something catastrophic happens in your life and you begin to use alcohol as a crutch to comfort or compensate, thats when you begin your dependency. Or your born with it.
I'm with you on this almost entirely: I, myself, have never and never will do drugs.  Like you, I do drink.  I don't think alcohol in itself is an addiction.  I mean, sure, having a can of beer sounds great once in a while, but I'm not some raving addict (think crack-addict) sitting in the chair by the corner in a fetal position, rocking back and forth. (lol wow that's an interesting comparative visual).  But the rest of what you said I agree completely with.  I believe social drinking doesn't lead to alcoholism anymore than video games makes kids into murders.

Edit: hmm, realized that nowhere in my post did I mention if tobacco and/or alcohol are gateway drugs... oh well

Last edited by commandochristian (2007-01-28 20:12:45)

CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA

d.cripz wrote:

as long as you smoke, drink, or smoke weed as a way of fitting in or just for socializing i dont think its a gateway to any where. Basically if you do it to be cool and not cause you need to its cool.
lmfao are you kidding?
SysTray
"Generous mods" < Thats right Systray !
+180|6821|Delaware
"Gateway Drug" is a term used by people who are for prohibition of everything. Smoking a cigarette or having a shot of whiskey does not up your chances of injection some heroin - nor does hitting a blunt/bowl. The only possible way this could have any iota of truth is that in order to get these things under aged, you have to know a dealer of sorts. Someone who probably knows where to find all sorts of lovely things.

I myself have done an assortment of things, before doing these things I studied for countless hours making sure they were things that, when taken recreationally, would not harm me in any way. I know that - as one of the good commercials states - if I sit on "Pete's couch", I will not be harmed. I will have sat and done nothing for 8 hours and had fun doing it.

The following are things I have tried, and I do them all recreationally.

-Alcohol
-Marijuana
-LSD
-DXM

Studies (by experts) have shown that these things, when done recreationally (in moderation), and not habitually, will not do anything but provide you with the euphoric effect you long for.

commandochristian wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

I dont do drugs, I do drink though.
Alcohol is a drug just as Marijuana is, young grasshopper.

Last edited by SysTray (2007-01-28 20:22:16)

Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6640|Your moms bedroom
so LSD doesnt deteriorate your spinal column?

ok i looked this up myself, it doesnt deteriorate the spinal cord, but the acid becomes stored in the fatty tissue connected to the spinal cord hence testing by spinal tap, also acid flashbacks can be brought on by neck trauma, or even popping or cracking your neck. So the more acid you use, the more prone you are to flashbacks

too much of anything can make you an addict
what if you normal dealer couldnt supply your fix, but he could supply something else, would you try it?

Last edited by Locoloki (2007-01-28 20:31:36)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6445|The Land of Scott Walker
Depending on the individual, tobacco and/or alcohol could be gateway drugs.  Some personalities are prone to addiction more than others and the first step may not be enough.
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6500|Los Angeles
It's interesting to read people's varying opinions of what constitutes "drugs".

People who regularly take the psychoactive drug ethanol claim that they "don't do drugs". Perhaps they should say that they "do only drugs that the government believes are acceptable"?

Other people define terms based on conventional wisdom, rather than relying on the government for their personal worldview. For them, science determines whether or not they "do drugs", and a depressant is a depressant, regardless of their own country's legislation.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6710|Sweden
I would have to say no. Alcohol and Tobacco is very accepted in society today it´s normal "everyone" does it. i believe it has more to do with moral and ethics other sorts of drugs are not accepted in most groups of society today there´s a line most people won´t cross.

Most people that start with drugs ( talking heavy stuff now ) are also very young and probably insecure hang out with "wrong" people they feel the pressure etc.
Ratzinger
+43|6392|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Fuck I laugh when people assume that if you take hard drugs you become addicted.

"Experimenting" does not necesarily lead to addiction.

I guess the only common drugs I haven't done are PCP and crack (mainly because coke isn't as available in Australia as in US, so no crack). I'm 44 and still smoke heaps of ganja, but gave up on all the trippy stuff 'cos there was nothing left to learn from it - by the way mushies are the most intense and introspective trip, don't do them unless you are EXTREMELY comfortable with your self-image.

There were about 10 of us who had a year of dabbling with smack - 2 died, 1 still uses (a habit), the rest of us got on with life....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard