Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6450|The Land of Scott Walker
Thought this was very interesting:

http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240, … =marine.nl

1) The M-16 rifle: Thumbs down. Chronic jamming problems with the talcum powder-like sand over there. The M-4 carbine version is more popular because it's lighter and shorter, but it has jamming problems also. Marines like the ability to mount the various optical gunsights and weapons lights on the picattiny rails, but the weapon itself is not great in a desert environment. They all hate the 5.56mm (.223) round because of its poor penetration on the cinderblock structures common over there.  Even torso hits can't be reliably counted on to put the enemy down.

2) The M243 SAW (squad assault weapon), .223 cal. Drum-fed light machine gun: Big thumbs down. Universally considered a piece of junk. Chronic jamming problems, most of which require partial disassembly (not fun in the middle of a firefight).

3) The M9 Beretta 9mm: Thumbs neutral. Good gun, performs well in desert environment; but Marines don’t like the 9mm cartridge. The use of handguns for self-defense is actually fairly common. Same old story on the 9mm: They’ve seen bad guys hit multiple times but continue to fight.

4) Mossberg 12ga. Military shotgun: Thumbs up.  The Marines use this weapon frequently for clearing houses with good effect.

5) The M240 Machine Gun: 7.62 Nato (.308) cal. belt fed machine gun, developed to replace the old M-60:  Thumbs up. Accurate, reliable, and the 7.62 round puts 'em down. Originally developed as a vehicle mounted weapon, more and more are being dismounted and taken into the field by infantry. The 7.62 round chews up the structure over there.

6) The M2 .50 cal heavy machine gun: Thumbs way, way up. "Ma deuce" is still worth her considerable weight in gold. The ultimate fight stopper, and the most coveted weapon in theater.

7) The .45 pistol: Thumbs up. Still the best pistol round out there. Everybody who is authorized to carry a sidearm is trying to get his hands on one. With few exceptions, this weapon can reliably be expected to drop the enemy with a torso hit. The special ops guys (who are doing most of the pistol work) use the HK military model and supposedly love it. The old government model .45's are being re-issued en masse.

8) The M-14: Thumbs up. They are being re-issued in bulk, mostly in a modified version to special ops guys. Modifications include lightweight Kevlar stocks and low power red dot or ACOG sights. Very reliable in the sandy environment, and grunts love the 7.62 round.

9) The Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle: Thumbs way up. Spectacular range and accuracy, and hits like a freight train. Used frequently to take out vehicle suicide bombers (they’re actually stopping a lot of them) and barricaded enemy.  Definitely here to stay.

10) The M24 sniper rifle: Thumbs up.  A heavily modified Remington 700. Great performance. Snipers have been using heavily with great effect. Rumor has it that a Marine sniper on his third tour in Anbar province has actually exceeded Carlos Hathcock's record with over 100 confirmed kills.

11) The newer body armor: Thumbs up. Relatively light at approx. 6 lbs.and can reliably be expected to soak up small shrapnel and even will stop an AK-47 round. The bad news: Hot as hell to wear, almost unbearable in the summer heat (which averages over 120 degrees). Also, the enemy now goes for head shots whenever possible. All the B.S. about the "old" body armor making our guys vulnerable to the IED's was a non-starter. The IED explosions are enormous and body armor doesn't make any difference at all in most cases.

12) Night Vision and Infrared Equipment: Thumbs way up. Spectacular performance. Our guys see in the dark and own the night, period. Very little enemy action after evening prayers. More and more enemy being whacked at night during movement by our hunter-killer teams. We've all seen the videos.

13) Lights: Thumbs up. Most of the weapon mounted and personal lights are  Surefire's, and the troops love them. Invaluable for night urban operations.
--------------------

Sounds like we need to get a 7.62 assault rifle for our men and get rid of the 9mm pistol for a .45 . . .
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6372|Columbus, Ohio
I hate the M-16 and the 249 saw jams like a bitch.........at the worst times I might add.
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6526|Istanbul-Turkey
there was a assault weapon project that has been cancelled. that gun looks perfect.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6372|Columbus, Ohio
I can say that when I joined in 1995, the equipment now is 10 times better.  Except for the M-16.
alpinestar
+304|6601|New York City baby.
They forgot to add new top secret vehicool to that list
https://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5162/bike4xn.jpg
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6372|Columbus, Ohio
That is about as useful as a hummer in urban combat.^^
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6651|Peoria
Of course the M240 rocks.

My grandfather carried the the BAR when he was in the Marines in Korea, and what do you think the M240 is based off of?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6372|Columbus, Ohio

Elamdri wrote:

Of course the M240 rocks.

My grandfather carried the the BAR when he was in the Marines in Korea, and what do you think the M240 is based off of?
I remember when they introduced the M240 to us, it was replacing the M-60.  I thought that was a huge mistake.  They should have kept the M-60 and got rid of the M-249.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

Good post. Very interesting to read about that. So think the military will actually listen and do something about it? I don't really know how much attention the brass pay to the troops in the US army.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6834|Grapevine, TX
The actual daily gear we have now, is 10 times better. Everything I was taught in boot camp to use and received at my 1st unit was honestly from the Korea War era, right past the Vietnam era of standard issue. The new gear, from the new camies, to the sleeping bag are great. What replaced that POS Mollie Gear, though? that backpack was horrible!

EDIT:

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Good post. Very interesting to read about that. So think the military will actually listen and do something about it? I don't really know how much attention the brass pay to the troops in the US army.
Is all you do, scour thru these forums and belittle the USA? If you have nothing to say about this post, then please, try to add something positive?

Last edited by (T)eflon(S)hadow (2007-01-24 12:54:19)

Commie Killer
+192|6392

Ottomania wrote:

there was a assault weapon project that has been cancelled. that gun looks perfect.
That was the M8/M320 program which used 5.56 NATO rounds.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Good post. Very interesting to read about that. So do you think the military will actually listen and do something about it? I don't really know how much attention the brass pay to the troops in the US army.
Is all you do, scour thru these forums and belittle the USA? If you have nothing to say about this post, then please, try to add something positive?
It's a fucking question, jackass. If you don't know the answer, fuck off to another topic and bother someone there. I added two words that I forgot, if that helps you any.
alpinestar
+304|6601|New York City baby.

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

alpinestar wrote:

They forgot to add new top secret vehicool to that list
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5162/bike4xn.jpg
You're a Commie, and those Soldiers are US Army. You have no business posting about US Marines.

The actual daily gear we have now, is 10 times better. Everything I was taught in boot camp to use and received at my 1st unit was honestly from the Korea War era, right past the Vietnam era of standard issue. The new gear, from the new camies, to the sleeping bag are great. What replaced that POS Mollie Gear, though? that backpack was horrible!
I didn't know those were Marines, sorry I couldnt find a picture of bicycle with 3 wheels in the back.
For commie insult i'll return one of an egoist which matches you perfectly. BTW it was meant to be as joke if you can't take one fuck off.

Last edited by alpinestar (2007-01-24 12:57:36)

usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6372|Columbus, Ohio

ghettoperson wrote:

I saw it, for the Marines at least, come down to the Commandant of the Marine Corps.  Like I said, in 1995 the gear was pathetic...Vietnam era.  Then, a new commandant came in, spent a night in the field with the grunts, and basically said fuck this, you guys need new gear.  And, it happened not to long after that.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

usmarine2007 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

I saw it, for the Marines at least, come down to the Commandant of the Marine Corps.  Like I said, in 1995 the gear was pathetic...Vietnam era.  Then, a new commandant came in, spent a night in the field with the grunts, and basically said fuck this, you guys need new gear.  And, it happened not to long after that.
So you think there's a pretty good chance they'll get new weapons in the near future?
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6372|Columbus, Ohio

ghettoperson wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

So you think there's a pretty good chance they'll get new weapons in the near future?
Hard to say.  Not sure what the time line is on weapons.  But hey, those weapons kept me alive, so I am satisfied I guess.
Commie Killer
+192|6392

Stingray24 wrote:

Thought this was very interesting:

http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240, … =marine.nl

1) The M-16 rifle: Thumbs down. Chronic jamming problems with the talcum powder-like sand over there. The M-4 carbine version is more popular because it's lighter and shorter, but it has jamming problems also. Marines like the ability to mount the various optical gunsights and weapons lights on the picattiny rails, but the weapon itself is not great in a desert environment. They all hate the 5.56mm (.223) round because of its poor penetration on the cinderblock structures common over there.  Even torso hits can't be reliably counted on to put the enemy down.

2) The M243 SAW (squad assault weapon), .223 cal. Drum-fed light machine gun: Big thumbs down. Universally considered a piece of junk. Chronic jamming problems, most of which require partial disassembly (not fun in the middle of a firefight).

3) The M9 Beretta 9mm: Thumbs neutral. Good gun, performs well in desert environment; but Marines don’t like the 9mm cartridge. The use of handguns for self-defense is actually fairly common. Same old story on the 9mm: They’ve seen bad guys hit multiple times but continue to fight.

4) Mossberg 12ga. Military shotgun: Thumbs up.  The Marines use this weapon frequently for clearing houses with good effect.

5) The M240 Machine Gun: 7.62 Nato (.308) cal. belt fed machine gun, developed to replace the old M-60:  Thumbs up. Accurate, reliable, and the 7.62 round puts 'em down. Originally developed as a vehicle mounted weapon, more and more are being dismounted and taken into the field by infantry. The 7.62 round chews up the structure over there.

6) The M2 .50 cal heavy machine gun: Thumbs way, way up. "Ma deuce" is still worth her considerable weight in gold. The ultimate fight stopper, and the most coveted weapon in theater.

7) The .45 pistol: Thumbs up. Still the best pistol round out there. Everybody who is authorized to carry a sidearm is trying to get his hands on one. With few exceptions, this weapon can reliably be expected to drop the enemy with a torso hit. The special ops guys (who are doing most of the pistol work) use the HK military model and supposedly love it. The old government model .45's are being re-issued en masse.

8) The M-14: Thumbs up. They are being re-issued in bulk, mostly in a modified version to special ops guys. Modifications include lightweight Kevlar stocks and low power red dot or ACOG sights. Very reliable in the sandy environment, and grunts love the 7.62 round.

9) The Barrett .50 cal sniper rifle: Thumbs way up. Spectacular range and accuracy, and hits like a freight train. Used frequently to take out vehicle suicide bombers (they’re actually stopping a lot of them) and barricaded enemy.  Definitely here to stay.

10) The M24 sniper rifle: Thumbs up.  A heavily modified Remington 700. Great performance. Snipers have been using heavily with great effect. Rumor has it that a Marine sniper on his third tour in Anbar province has actually exceeded Carlos Hathcock's record with over 100 confirmed kills.

11) The newer body armor: Thumbs up. Relatively light at approx. 6 lbs.and can reliably be expected to soak up small shrapnel and even will stop an AK-47 round. The bad news: Hot as hell to wear, almost unbearable in the summer heat (which averages over 120 degrees). Also, the enemy now goes for head shots whenever possible. All the B.S. about the "old" body armor making our guys vulnerable to the IED's was a non-starter. The IED explosions are enormous and body armor doesn't make any difference at all in most cases.

12) Night Vision and Infrared Equipment: Thumbs way up. Spectacular performance. Our guys see in the dark and own the night, period. Very little enemy action after evening prayers. More and more enemy being whacked at night during movement by our hunter-killer teams. We've all seen the videos.

13) Lights: Thumbs up. Most of the weapon mounted and personal lights are  Surefire's, and the troops love them. Invaluable for night urban operations.
--------------------

Sounds like we need to get a 7.62 assault rifle for our men and get rid of the 9mm pistol for a .45 . . .
1. I havent heard that about problems with the M16 since Vietnam before they started issuing cleaning kits and installed chrome barrels.

2. Havent heard that either. Though I have heard that the 5.56 seems to have problems at taking people down in one hit(especially over in Somalia where everyone was on that shit w/e it was called).

3. Pretty much the only advantages the M9 has over the M1911A1 is a larger mag and less recoil.

4. Havent heard much about it at all.

5. Good gun, havent heard a single bad thing about it except that it is heavier(I think).

6. I love it, not a single bad thing to be said.

7. Never heard a bad thing except for the learning curve. Either you can use it and your great or you cant use it at all.

8. Are the M14 still issued in full auto mode?

9. Except for the pussies who want it banned....great.

10. Marines dont use the M24, the M24 is used by the United States Army, the USMC use the M40A3.

11. You cant really help about how it warms you up. Its kinda like a extremely warm vest.

12. No comment, dont know much on this

13. No comment again, dont know much about these either.
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6393|USA, MICHIGAN
i had absolutley no problems with the m249 in normal condictions, in the desert though, it took alot more cleaning to keep it up and running.   the 9mm sucks balls, .45acp all the way!!!  the .223 or 5.56 (what ever floats your boat) is great weapon to train with, but not worth a shit for stopping power.  i totally agree with going with a 7.62 x 51 or a 7.62 x 39 assault weapon.
Stingray24

Commie Killer wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

Why do they keep wanting to use 5.56 instead of 7.62?  Cheaper?
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6707|Little Rock, Arkansas

Stingray24 wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

Its NATO standard, same reason we switched to the 9mm Beretta from the .45.
Stingray24

blisteringsilence wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Its NATO standard, same reason we switched to the 9mm Beretta from the .45.
Ah yes, so we can share ammo if we're fighting alongside one another.  That makes sense. Well, I guess the NATO standard needs a change then.  The Marines like .45 and 7.62 so it seems other soldiers would, too.
iNeedUrFace4Soup
fuck it
+348|6551
They should throw away the M-16 and just start using AKs.
https://i.imgur.com/jM2Yp.gif
l41e
+677|6653

Howzabout a NATO-standard change to something around 6.6x50 or so and .45ACP?
HOLLYWOOD=_=FTW=_=
+31|6556
Well apparently back in vietnam somone thought it was smarter to switch from the 7.62/51 for the 5.56 because the thought was that it took two men to take a wounded soldier out of a battle. Personally that kinda goes against what war is all about which is killing enough of them to make them wanna conform to your will. Russia saw this move and made their own smaller caliber assault rifle which is where the ak 74 comes in with a 5.45/39. Personally my train of though is put em down and make em stay down fuck this whole idea of making somone take a wounded soldier off the field we dont want these fucks to survive to fight another day. As for the 9mil / 45 debate the millitary switched to that after nato name it their sub machine gun and side arm primary caliber personally Ive never been in battle and I have no right to speak of matters such as this but i do support and look up to our troops and personally I think each soldier should be able to pick what he feels most comfortable and secure with and I have every confidence that every soldier will pick the 7.62/51 and the .45 calibers. Now myself own a few 5.56 for fun but i refuse to buy a peice of shit 9mil and all these fuck up gangster bitches talking bout their nines need to make sure their gun is loaded by looking down the barrel and pulling the trigger. Sorry for the rant.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6498|Connecticut

usmarine2007 wrote:

I hate the M-16 and the 249 saw jams like a bitch.........at the worst times I might add.
I second that. And fuck the magazine port. Belt fed or go home.
Malloy must go

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard