ssj3barua
+55|6697|Indianapolis, IN, U.S.
Ok, today I take my ASVAB test. Monday I go to MEPS. I'm going into the Navy, and I want to know what to expect.
The Job I want is linguist, I hear you have to have a pretty good score to get that job. What are any other good jobs I should go for if I don't qualify?
I am Incredibly nervous and want some advise from any vets out there, preferably Navy vets.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command
No advice, just good luck!
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6375|Columbus, Ohio
Ugh...more mods with no sense of humor.

Anyway, did you sign a contract saying something like if you don't get your first job, what your other job would be?

welcome to the suck.
ssj3barua

usmarine2007 wrote:

Ugh...more mods with no sense of humor.

Anyway, did you sign a contract saying something like if you don't get your first job, what your other job would be?

welcome to the suck.
Not yet, I am suppose to sign for the job I want at MEPS. Depending on what I get on the ASVAB, they will list the jobs available to me.

BTW, something weird happened when posting this thread. It may have posted twice, if it did mods please delete the other thread.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6375|Columbus, Ohio
Well, do not go open contract no matter what happens.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6703|Mountains of West Virginia
Just saying good luck man!
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6501|Connecticut

usmarine2007 wrote:

Well, do not go open contract no matter what happens.
Bingo!!! The asvab is easy, dont worry about your score you should do well. Its the career placement that ass rapes you. They put bodies where they need them, not where they want to go. Just read everything you sign very carefully and never ever let them talk you into an MOS for a year or two then you can lat move.......BULLSHIT!!!!
Malloy must go
Dizik
It tastes like burning
+23|6823|Moore, OK
Whenever you get your ASVAB score, make sure you get a listing of EVERY job available that you qualify for. DO NOT let the guy at MEPS just show you what the Navy needs. You don't want to get stuck in a shitty job for several years.

If you're going to be a linguist, you should know that the schooling for it is about a year long. That's a lot of school. And when you're a linguist, you're not acting as a translator between diplomats and things like that. You're sitting in front of a row of machines, along with other linguists, just listening to shit on a set of headphones. And chances are, you'll be doing it while on a 12 hour shift. You'd be surprised at how boring it can be.

If you don't qualify for being a linguist, then you might want to look into getting a CTN job (Cryptologic Technician Networks), which replaced CTOs, CTMs, and CTAs back in 2004. But that depends on how much you like working on computers, crypto equipment, networks, etc. It might sound cool, but the job descriptions at MEPS are very wordy to make them sound more important, and cooler, than what they are. So be careful.

And may I ask why chose the Navy? If you do go through with it, there's a pretty good chance you'll end up saying these words: "I should have joined the Air Force." Chances are if you're a linguist or CTN, you'll be working in a joint community: i.e. working alongside the Army, Marines, and Air Force. And after seeing how much better the Air Force guys have it made, you'll be pissed.

The Air Force has the highest standard for quality of living. That means the Air Force gets better dorms/barracks, usually better food, and much better base facilities: gyms, movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc. It might not sound like a big deal, but if you get an assignment to a base in the middle of nowhere, then those facilities will keep you from going stark raving mad.

Last edited by Dizik (2007-01-19 07:48:34)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Second the Air Force notion, after my own experience in the Navy (hey, we're all on the same side! I'm no traitor ). I got a scarf that smelled like cat vomit, and made me super-sick through boot camp. But the food's not all that bad, and the petty officers aren't complete assholes (just watch out for the short guys with glasses...they got something to prove).

OP: Take this weekend to stuff as much basic knowledge of naval history and basic Navy rules into your head as possible, because you're going to be shit tired and in no condition to pay complete attention to what's being taught.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-01-19 09:03:02)

usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6375|Columbus, Ohio
Be a grunt.
arabeater
Do you have any idea how fooking busy I am?
+49|6689|Colorado Springs, CO

Dizik wrote:

Whenever you get your ASVAB score, make sure you get a listing of EVERY job available that you qualify for. DO NOT let the guy at MEPS just show you what the Navy needs. You don't want to get stuck in a shitty job for several years.

If you're going to be a linguist, you should know that the schooling for it is about a year long. That's a lot of school. And when you're a linguist, you're not acting as a translator between diplomats and things like that. You're sitting in front of a row of machines, along with other linguists, just listening to shit on a set of headphones. And chances are, you'll be doing it while on a 12 hour shift. You'd be surprised at how boring it can be.

If you don't qualify for being a linguist, then you might want to look into getting a CTN job (Cryptologic Technician Networks), which replaced CTOs, CTMs, and CTAs back in 2004. But that depends on how much you like working on computers, crypto equipment, networks, etc. It might sound cool, but the job descriptions at MEPS are very wordy to make them sound more important, and cooler, than what they are. So be careful.

And may I ask why chose the Navy? If you do go through with it, there's a pretty good chance you'll end up saying these words: "I should have joined the Air Force." Chances are if you're a linguist or CTN, you'll be working in a joint community: i.e. working alongside the Army, Marines, and Air Force. And after seeing how much better the Air Force guys have it made, you'll be pissed.

The Air Force has the highest standard for quality of living. That means the Air Force gets better dorms/barracks, usually better food, and much better base facilities: gyms, movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc. It might not sound like a big deal, but if you get an assignment to a base in the middle of nowhere, then those facilities will keep you from going stark raving mad.
I dunno what Air Force food you've been eating but here at Tinker AFB, it blows. The dorms are brand new and you get your own room, which is nice. Quality of living is much better than the other services though.

Anyways back on topic, I have a friend that originally went to linguist school for Chinese(BTW he is 100% Chinese) and still flunked out. He said it was hard as balls. He got reclassed into the same job as me(Satcom). Like USmarine said, never go in open general, they will make you a cop or some guy handing out towels in the base gym. Good Luck sailor!
ssj3barua
Thanks for the replys everyone, my AFQT score was 73. I go to MEPS on Monday to close the deal!
liquix
+51|6462|Peoples Republic of Portland
dunno i got a 92, they hounded me pretty good but i didn't join. Good luck
ssj3barua

liquix wrote:

dunno i got a 92, they hounded me pretty good but i didn't join. Good luck
Why not man? You could have had any job you wanted.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard