molotov<bf2>
+15|6461|uk
anyone got sensible advice for counter-sniping elevated targets - particularly proned crane snipers.

should you compensate by aiming slightly higher i.e. if the crane is 150m away but the sniper is on a 50m high platform, the hypotenuse to the target is obviously more than 150m (a² = b² +c²). when you work this out it's pretty marginal.

i find hitting proned snipers on elevated positions the hardest target to snipe. i was playing warlord over the weekend & i tried several combinations, missing a target 5 or 6 times (the m95 didn't help). maybe the combination of a proned small target tests the accuracy of the rifle to the max.

perhaps this is one for jemme101 or todd-angelo?
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6440|San Antonio, TX
Armor... just keep shooting up the crane until you see the "x"
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6724|67.222.138.85
Ummm, stay prone, aim for the head? What's the problem? On Warlord most likely there isn't enough bullet drop to make a difference, and if they aren't sticking out you can't shoot through walls...
Collateralis
Beep bep.
+85|6388|Stealth on Grand Bazaar
Interesting problem you have here.

I must say I dont have any problem with taking out snipers above me, in cranes or on buildings. Usually, I would pick them up at distance by random spotting or I would find out the direction of the shot by a combination of thinking the possiblities out: where the shot could come from (within reason), sound and direction of damage recieved. I would usually move to round to cover and think about my options.

If I knew which level he was on I would pop out and get him in the head first time. You dont need to allow for drop and actually its easier hitting a target above you than infront or below as your not exposed in the same way as he will be.

Usually going directly below the target rather than standing in the sphere where he can pick you up is better, then he has to hang off the building to find you, which gives you advantage and a headshot. This ofcourse applies to any kit which you are facing. Use the angles to your advantage and you should have no problem in getting your target.

Hope this helps. I dont bother to do the maths because in BF2 it doesnt make any difference. You fire your rifle, allow for drop, thats about it.
Barrakuda777
+86|6754|Somewhere near a shrub or rock
At anything but long range place your crosshair on the top of his helmet / nogin and shoot. Be aware that the m95 is slightly odd in where the kill pixed is (i dont use it anymore so am not the best to comment).
At really long range where bullet drop is a consideration its all about experiance im afraid im sure there is a formula but if you practice enough it will become a reflex that you size up the correct shot without any convoluted methods.

Anyway, if the guys on a crane im pretty sure he is not that big a threat as its basically too obvious for any good sniper to use (please correct me if im wrong?), I would not be seen deat up a crane nowadays...

Anyway, all the best!

Kooda
Chillin&killin
+27|6692|Manchester,England
under 100m just put crosshair on head(maybe on forehead to be sure)

above that then pixel per 50-100m. to be honest i cant really say i just know where to shoot when im playing.so practise
ncc6206
=BIG= BAD AND UGLY
+36|6496
PKM spray and pray. With enough suppression  fire it should force him either to move or poke his head out to try and snipe you. Make sure after and extended burst you displace and find another position keeping your position hiddend from the sniper.
Smithereener
+138|6333|California
I'd say killing snipers on elevated positions a tad easier to kill than most, only because their head seems to poke out further.

As for the "a² = b² +c²" (Pythagorean?), it makes sense, but you still have to compensate for the bullet drop. Just because the cross hair is centered on the guy's head at 150m away, doesn't mean you'll head shot him. Got to aim a little higher than the head to hit.

As for counter-sniping tactics, Wikipedia might give you some idea on what to do. If you're in a situation of sniper vs. sniper(you), I'd do what Nyte constantly preaches, jump/prone/crouch/jump/etc. or just move around a lot and try to get some shots at the other sniper.

As any other kit, try to flank the sniper, or just get as close to the sniper as you can, then you might see his body sticking out and you might be able to get him. Just don't stay still.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6518|Valley of the Dragons
Well I have had the same problem when I am too close to a target. For instance when a sniper is in the crane at Construction Yard on Oman and I am somewhere near that flag. Its pretty hard to get a good angle on them.
I either wait for their body to become partially visible through the crane or I go to an higher elevation myself to get the angle for a shot.

You are right in assuming that you have to shoot ever so slightly higher than your target, but if you are too close this would mean an automatic miss. Just think about what spots you have available in your surroundings to get a shot in and take your time for getting into that position.

If there is too much traffic near that position you could always try to lure the sniper into taking a look down, if you for instance were shooting at him with your pistol or throwing a nade. It depends on the quality of the sniper if he will fall for that.

The best way to counter this sort of situation is by trying to be always in one of the highest position available on a map yourself. Its easier to make a shot with a downwards angle than upwards in most cases. Plus you have a better overview of the surrounding terrain in case of receiving counter sniper fire yourself
Drunk_Musketeer
To be honest I don't care anyway..
+57|6755|Great Wall
Difference between a sniper and a crane sniper is that that second one dies more often than he kills anyone..

Keep doing it all u crane snipers.. more fun for us
conclusi0n
+1|6351|cali
Yea, Crane Snipers are just easy kills for the rest of us. lol
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6548
I ussualy crane snipe in Sharqi with a squad. Only difference is that I use the SRAW and shoot cars and tanks. With enough squad support your practically ungroundable unless the chopper decides that the crane is no place for you.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6440|San Antonio, TX
Very few maps have a crane worth getting into anyway.  I've had success from only one that I can think of.  It's a bottleneck for you though, limited escape options.
conclusi0n
+1|6351|cali
Yep, On Sharqi crane sniping is the worst because those choppers are all over you.
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6667|Keyboard

molotov<bf2> wrote:

anyone got sensible advice for counter-sniping elevated targets - particularly proned crane snipers.

should you compensate by aiming slightly higher i.e. if the crane is 150m away but the sniper is on a 50m high platform, the hypotenuse to the target is obviously more than 150m (a² = b² +c²). when you work this out it's pretty marginal.

i find hitting proned snipers on elevated positions the hardest target to snipe. i was playing warlord over the weekend & i tried several combinations, missing a target 5 or 6 times (the m95 didn't help). maybe the combination of a proned small target tests the accuracy of the rifle to the max.

perhaps this is one for jemme101 or todd-angelo?
Here you have a tip from me (I play as sniper most of the time): see if the sniper sticks his (or her?) feet out and shoot at them. It has worked for me. Try it out and tell us the results.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6517|so randum
Don't worry about the maths, bf2 isn't that deep a game. Like other posters have said, more than 100 metres and you have to aim up just a tiny bit, a few pixels. As with any form of combat in this game though, practice makes perfect, Although, judging by your stats, you've had plenty of that, and are a competent sniper already. Try to lure them out, as Jemme said, that works quite well, As many inexperienced snipers will move out to get a better view of the situation, making them a bigger target. Keep trying mate, you'll get those kills easy in no time!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6440|San Antonio, TX

fatherted13 wrote:

Don't worry about the maths, bf2 isn't that deep a game. Like other posters have said, more than 100 metres and you have to aim up just a tiny bit, a few pixels. As with any form of combat in this game though, practice makes perfect, Although, judging by your stats, you've had plenty of that, and are a competent sniper already. Try to lure them out, as Jemme said, that works quite well, As many inexperienced snipers will move out to get a better view of the situation, making them a bigger target. Keep trying mate, you'll get those kills easy in no time!
Make sure you spot them so other people know they are there too... helps you because if other people start taking shots at the sniper, they usually move which increases your chance of them creating a shot for you.
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6518|Valley of the Dragons

silo1180 wrote:

Make sure you spot them so other people know they are there too... helps you because if other people start taking shots at the sniper, they usually move which increases your chance of them creating a shot for you.
Thats also a good tip in case you cannt get the angle or you are taking fire. At least a teammate can try to take him out. I do the same when I cannt get a good shot in.
tino275
+14|6630
Change your hitreg it makes a difference then aim slightly Higher like a couple of mm. I love counter snipeing. If all else fails go up and knife the guy.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6684

ncc6206 wrote:

PKM spray and pray. With enough suppression  fire it should force him either to move or poke his head out to try and snipe you. Make sure after and extended burst you displace and find another position keeping your position hiddend from the sniper.
PKM works nicely, but at controlled bursts.  The constant rattling forces them to reveal more body parts, making an easy kill.
tino275
+14|6630

Drunk_Musketeer wrote:

Difference between a sniper and a crane sniper is that that second one dies more often than he kills anyone..

Keep doing it all u crane snipers.. more fun for us
Some Crane snipers can be very effective. It just depends on who your playing with and where you are on the crane.  if you can get 5 or 6 kills for every time you die then thats pretty damn good. you've already helped you team.  I played against one guy who was terring it up utill I decided to go knife him. course i had to get through a claymore. but it was worth it.  Then I played from the same position and had a great game. Go on that second platform your high up and its tough for anyone to get a good angle on you. Especially if you keep moving.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6362|Twyford, UK

Ilocano wrote:

ncc6206 wrote:

PKM works nicely, but at controlled bursts.  The constant rattling forces them to reveal more body parts, making an easy kill.
Quoted for truth and emphasis. Short, controlled bursts. What you lose in supression, you gain in accuracy and economy.
Although being a crane sniper is often fun as an AT soldier. Whack tanks, and the occasional chopper.
molotov<bf2>
+15|6461|uk
thanks for all the suggestions.

in retrospect having read the replies, i now have to reluctantly admit that if you haven't dispatched an awkward target after three shots, you know in yourself it's time to forget it & spot it for someone else or improve the odds by relocating; the ego has to take a back seat to common sense & your accuracy stats.

sometimes i do feel agrieved with the weapons on sf (insurgents in particular) as i feel i could take someone out with an L96A1 or M24 when i couldn't with the unsophisticated M95 or SVD.

but hey, a big part of the game is to play to the strengths of your weapon not its weaknesses.

cheers.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6582|Area 51
Fire a SRAW at the damn sniper?
MrE`158
+103|6641
I've no particular advice for guys up on roof tops, but don't abandon your M95 for getting guys up on cranes.

The M95 will shoot clean through the platform that a sniper lies on when up on top of a crane, so you don't need to go for the little bit sticking out.  Aim for the middle, where his name appears, and to hell with his "cover", you're going to blast straight through it.  Yes, you'll have to hit him again, but snipers are stubborn/stupid, and tend not to run away from their camping spot.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard