Tripp
I wanna be on you
+116|6532|So Cal
old school DJ quik is my fave... The Game has some pretty good stuff too...

hip hop head fo life
kushmaniac
+5|6382|west los cali
brotha lynch hung, mr doctor, mac mall, g mo, spice one, krs 1, 2pac, biggie, and cube
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6760

Madhadda1 wrote:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/spoc208/gangster.jpg

this probably would be my favorite rap group. its called the c-strike homies
there pretty hardcore shit
Right. Thats the mainstream "hiphop". I dont blame anyone who thinks that hiphop is about drugs, bitches, rims, guns, magic stick etc because the mainstream has these "messages". The original hiphop is not a material thing, it is more likely a frame of mind, and the elements of hiphop help people achieve this state. It cannot be defined properly that this and that is hiphop, it could be different for anyone. For me (because i was into only breakdancing) hiphop is that many dancers gather around have a bommblaster and PVC on the street and just dance. Or on a big event (like battle of the year, freesyle session, Chelles battle etc) the crews battling against each other are dancing TO each other and not AGAINST each other. Many other subcultures have almost the same message, but again mainstream distorts the whole thing and nothing is left of it.
My thoughts.
LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6536|Amherst, MA
! Talib Kweli !

Mos Def, Blackstar, NonPhixion, Jedi Mind Tricks, Apathy, Common, Nas, etc....

Some rap that isnt about "bitches and hos"...

Last edited by LawJik (2007-01-08 06:41:27)

namelostonthetoilet
+2|6342
rap suck big time
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825
yeah blackstar is good stuff. i also happen to like john legend, even though it's not really hiphop. he sings pretty well though.

as far as mainstream stuff goes, i still like it if it's got a good track, and good rhythm in the verse. i mean at some point, you can ignore the stupid lyrics and just enjoy a good groove.

there's really a lot of similarities between metal and rap. for one, they both often rely on over-the-top lyrics to shock the audience, and there's certainly some amount of one-upmanship in 'who can come up with the most ridiculously violent and offensive lyric.'
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6478|Kakanien

RedTwizzler wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

gangstarr (best hip hop lp ever, moment of truth)
mos def
wu-tang
royce 5 9

i also like masta ace, defari, nas, talib kweli, pete rock, dilated and of course french hip hop (i am/shurik'n, faf larage etc.)
A) Moment of Truth = Awesome. Probably the first rap I've ever listened to, and I love it.
B) I'm a big fan of Rage Against the Machine. I know they're not "rap" per se, but it's pretty sweet.
C) Did you steal the term "Karkand is my Karkand." from me?
referring to c)
i can't remember if i stole it or had the same idea. i have it in my sig for about 5 or 6 months. if i stole it, sorry! it's a great idea!
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6478|Kakanien

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Yup one of the best.Chck sig.
what went wrong with my sig? i put [img]before and[/img] behind the link
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6760

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

what went wrong with my sig? i put [img]before and[/img] behind the link
Sorry man, i was referring to my sig, the quote is from gangstarr - moment of truth. Anyways i dont know what could have went wrong...
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6478|Kakanien

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

what went wrong with my sig? i put before and behind the link
Sorry man, i was referring to my sig, the quote is from gangstarr - moment of truth. Anyways i dont know what could have went wrong...
lol
i'm a little bit confused today
TerrorisT²
Melbourne Shuffler
+214|6631|Gold Coast, Australia
Hilltop Hoods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And

T.i.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6590|England
It's nice to know there are folks out there who do actually appreciate what I think of as real hip hop. Some faves of mine are Celph Titled, Army of The Pharoahs, Oktober (guy has a sick flow, but hard to find material), but I think two in particular I have to mention.  Biggie Smalls = all time legend, 'nuff said.  Gimmie The Loot has some of my favourite lines ever.  Second is Brother Ali.  If you have never heard any of his material then please check him out, I think he is awesome.  Cannot recommend him highly enough.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825
best example of that - missy elliot's work it. it's a fun song, but come on some of the lyrics are seriously retarded.

'work it, i need a glass of wahtah'
'watatatatatatatatata, sex me so good i say blah blah blah'

it's so stupid it's awesome..... lol
Erkut.hv
+124|6740|California

d.cripz wrote:

Can people list rap artists that arent so "famous". I like finding artists that arent on TV and shit kind of like  Immortal Technique.
Andre Nickatina (aka Dre Dog). Frisco's Best Kept Secret.
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6590|England
[google]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-600365950835223424&q=biggie+smalls[/google]

Something I watched after reading this thread earlier.  Still think he's a legend=)
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6760
Another great clip about breaking:

Last edited by (HUN)Rudebwoy (2007-01-16 12:48:39)

ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6338
For me I listen to a lot of Atmosphere, KRS-One, Zion-I, Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, AOTP, Grayskull, NERD, Gym Class Heroes etc.

I also like a lot of old school gangsta rap, before it was "cool" to like rap and stuff, like the old Death Row stuff and NWA, Eazy-E etc.

It makes me sick that all the scenesters are saying they all like hip hop when they dont know shit about it and just listen to 50 cent, the game etc, despite it all sounding the same and requiring no talent at all.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6679|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Biggy was the best there ever was and possibly the best there ever will be, RIP Christopher Wallace we will forver miss you.
frankyman_88
I <3 J.C.
+29|6561|QLD, australia
Hilltop Hoods because;
1.They have good rythym
2. They're from Aus
3. They use other sounds other than bass and scratch
4. They don't abuse sex or drugs in their lyrics; they condone them
5. Their lyrics have more meaning than mass produced shit eg. 50 cent {shudder}
6. They sound totally sweet!
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6825
watched some hilltop hoods videos on youtube, they indeed have good rhythm.

testimonial year
recapturing the vibe

Last edited by Krappyappy (2007-01-10 03:27:04)

capt. crunch
+8|6454|that place
Black Haze is pretty awsome. Sounds just like Pac.
Sh4d0wF0x14
+36|6469|luton. uk
rap is shit rrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppppp cccccccccccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrqaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppppppp
Entertayner
+826|6576

I'm a hater..

*runs around in circles pointing and laughing at all the hiphop addicts*
sithao
+63|6631|Los Angeles, California
have you guys heard of "tha realest"?, he looks and sounds like Pac.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6698
If you like old school rap check out the Red Hot Chili Peppers first couple of albums, they were like a fusion of rap, funk, and punk rock.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard