The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6674|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Its sad to say but there will be many many members here who have lost parents or grandparents due to the effects of smoking.  Its nothing new by any means.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6671|UK

OrangeHound wrote:

I've watched multiple people die of lung cancer because of cigarettes. 

Please stop ... for your sake.  We all die, but to die of lung cancer is a horrible way to go.  I think this is the reason why most doctors STRONGLY encourage you to quit.
Strange thing is i know a doctor that smokes.  Couldn't belive it when he sparked up.  And it was after a footy game as well.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6702
Go non-smokers! It makes you smell, wastes money that could be spent on BEER! (Which is cheaper and tastes nice AND gets you drunk).
Bananaman
+9|6639
I am qualified to give smoking cessation advice.  Im presuming that you are in UK.

There is a new anti-smoking drug called Champix (Chantix in USA).  It works very similarly to Zyban but has been designed specifically for smoking cessation, unlike Zyban which was an antidepressant origionally.  Zyban and Champix incase you dont know works on the addictive pathways in the brain and can actually stop you from wanting cigarettes.

As long as there arent too many contra-indications (in your medical history) you should be able to try Champix very soon if not right away.

I strongly reccomend throwing that book away and seeing your GP.  You will get sound facts and advice rather than advice from one particular person who quit his own way and believes everyone else should be able to do it his way.

Good luck!
1927(h)

Bananaman wrote:

I am qualified to give smoking cessation advice.  Im presuming that you are in UK.

There is a new anti-smoking drug called Champix (Chantix in USA).  It works very similarly to Zyban but has been designed specifically for smoking cessation, unlike Zyban which was an antidepressant origionally.  Zyban and Champix incase you dont know works on the addictive pathways in the brain and can actually stop you from wanting cigarettes.

As long as there arent too many contra-indications (in your medical history) you should be able to try Champix very soon if not right away.

I strongly reccomend throwing that book away and seeing your GP.  You will get sound facts and advice rather than advice from one particular person who quit his own way and believes everyone else should be able to do it his way.

Good luck!
Thanks Bananaman but I'll stick with the book as the Dr is the worlds leading expert and has a 90% sucess rate, I havent smoked all day, have missed it, but havent given in, I dont want to give in.  My mood is better than last night when I was smoking and as I dont see that Im giving something up I dont feel that I am at a loss, I infact feel Im gaining, so that knocks any depression stuff on the head.

I wont be visiting my GP as I only go when I need surgery at hospital or if I cant preform the op myself, call it ol skool if you wish.  Im sorry not to take your advice but without sounding like a jumped up know it all, thanks for offering the above.  To anyone intrested in quitting please read Bananamans post and take his advice aswell.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard