bucfan609
+9|6358|Queen Creek, AZ USA
I have been flying choppers with a mouse and keyboard fairly well, but I finally sprang for a joystick (I know, I am cheap, but I prefer frugal). I suck at flying a jet with keyboard and mouse.

I want to fly with a joystick now, so I want to know what settings should I have for both chopper and plane? Also, what are some basic tips that I can utilize for my aviation future??

Thanks in advance for any help.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6575|British Columbia, Canada
It would help if you gave the name of your joystick.
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6853
have everything on the joystick? Cause you don't want to reach for the keyboard to deploy chutes or to shoot.
d.cripz
+29|6421
a good tip is to put a sock over your joystick while u fondle with it. believe me when i say it is a pain in the ass to clean your monitor after a good session.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6582|Portland, OR, USA

d.cripz wrote:

a good tip is to put a sock over your joystick while u fondle with it. believe me when i say it is a pain in the ass to clean your monitor after a good session.
....that was really fucking stupid
bucfan609
Sorry about that. Logitech 3d pro
PASSUBY
+30|6645|Louisiana
Here is a VERY HELPFUL guide to get you going on your joystick! http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides/aviator-tactics
LT.Victim

bucfan609 wrote:

Sorry about that. Logitech 3d pro
I had the same one until mine got fucked up and started doing nose dive by its self.

The 3D pro doesn't last more then 6 months.

I'm buying a Saitek USB Stick And Throttle Joystick for 79.99

Just make sure that you have the top hat switch as your Views and that you have your after burner, machine gun, bomb drop/misssles, Toggle weapons button, flares all on the actual joystick, not the side buttons..

everything else you can put else where..

Another thing i did with mine is I put my Commander and squad VOIP button on the side button so i could talk to commander or squad mates if i was flying.
MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6608
I also recently purchased a joystick.  Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  Is that the one you have?
I am TERRIBLE with it.  I'd rather just stick with using mouse and keyboard.  I even practiced in empty servers with it, and still...sucked.  But, maybe I'll try out Zenmaster's settings theng et back to ya on how that went.
LT.Victim

MorbiD.ShoT wrote:

I also recently purchased a joystick.  Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  Is that the one you have?
I am TERRIBLE with it.  I'd rather just stick with using mouse and keyboard.  I even practiced in empty servers with it, and still...sucked.  But, maybe I'll try out Zenmaster's settings theng et back to ya on how that went.
It took me like 2-3 months to get as good as I was with a Joystick flying a Heli as I was with a Keyboard, I'm now better at Joystick..

For Plane, it took like a week to be better then flying Keyboard.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6642|Washington, DC

Joystick huh? Just practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. It sucks but that's the only way to get good with it.
MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6608

LT.Victim wrote:

MorbiD.ShoT wrote:

It took me like 2-3 months to get as good as I was with a Joystick flying a Heli as I was with a Keyboard, I'm now better at Joystick..

Well, I can do all of the maneuvers in a helo that anyone with a joystick can do.  I have had the sensitivity at 10 for as long as I can remember, and am now completely used to it. 

With a joystick, did you have the problem that you kept like overcorrecting yourself?  Meaning you want to shoot the J-10 spawn but you keep firing a little too high...little too low...then just crash into the ground?

Something like that?
VicktorVauhn
+319|6404|Southern California
I have the same joystick and I'm gonna have to disagree about not using the side buttons...

While you could deffinatly fly circle around me I don't find the side buttons hard to press at all.
Maybe its just because I sit with 2 hards on the joystick, with my left resting on the base with thumb on the throttle and my fingers over the side buttons

I really don't understand why people always need others to tell them how to set up the buttons on their controllers though. put your hand on the joystick and start assigning the most important stuff to the easiest buttons. Play a few rounds and make changes as you encounter problems.

You got one thing right though....This joystick has crap potentiometers.
bucfan609
Here is a VERY HELPFUL guide to get you going on your joystick! http://wiki.bf2s.com/tactical-guides/aviator-tactics
This is very helpful, thank you very much.
bucfan609
I really don't understand why people always need others to tell them how to set up the buttons on their controllers though. put your hand on the joystick and start assigning the most important stuff to the easiest buttons. Play a few rounds and make changes as you encounter problems.
You are right that I don't need someone to tell me how to setup the controllers, but why reinvent the wheel???? If someone has a lot of experience and can give me some tips, why wouldn't I listen???
LT.Victim

MorbiD.ShoT wrote:

LT.Victim wrote:

MorbiD.ShoT wrote:

Well, I can do all of the maneuvers in a helo that anyone with a joystick can do.  I have had the sensitivity at 10 for as long as I can remember, and am now completely used to it. 

With a joystick, did you have the problem that you kept like overcorrecting yourself?  Meaning you want to shoot the J-10 spawn but you keep firing a little too high...little too low...then just crash into the ground?

Something like that?
No..

You just got to get use to it.
Storgie
how about this thread for whiners
+15|6587|federal way washington
i have saitec cyborg 3d gold, usb

i had terrible time setting throttle and yaw at bf2 control is there a trick to it?
Mad Ad
+178|6523|England, UK
game setup tips in my sig

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard