Poll

Is Half-Life 2 The Best Single Player of All Time?

Yes46%46% - 51
No (what is?)11%11% - 13
It's good but _____ is better.21%21% - 24
Havn't played it20%20% - 22
Total: 110
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6686|Teesside, UK

[AH1z]PJ wrote:

FEAR only had good AI and good bullet time effect lol, the rest was boring, all levels looked the same, its like you were trapped in a big office or something
Some of the hallucinations were excellent, especially the ones you could only see in your peripheral vision.  I've never seen a game that used those same horror techniques to such an amazing level.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6561|Boston, MA

Jenkinsbball wrote:

For PC, Deus Ex is better. HL2 was too short and the ending was fucking horrible. I know it was to set up something, but still crap.

Overall, I give it a 4 of 5. Deus Ex = 10 of 5.

God of War is probably the best ever.
Deus Ex definately is a better game. It has the aspects of just about every type of game out there. Except for driving, hell, you can even play basketball in it!

But seriously, Deus Ex is simply amazing. There's so many paths you can take but it's not confusing, you know where you're generally going at all times. There's just so many ways to get there. You get to upgrade just about every aspect of yourself and use special abilities. You can take the stealth approach or the Rambo approach. There's so many different ways to play through the game that it would take you years and years to find every single little thing in the game. It also has multiple endings based on what you do at the end. Deus Ex tops my list for greatest single player FPS of all time and it will probably stay there forever.
lord_tyler_486
+54|6783|Upper Franconia
GTA: San Anderas or Deus Ex [1] > Half-Life 2 imo
JoeFriday
Git 'Er Dun
+23|6471|Canada
i disagree...i believe that SWAT 4 is the best multiplayer game
Skorpy-chan
+127|6376|Twyford, UK
It's GOOD, but I wouldn't call it the best. Best single-player for an FPS, definetly. Especially when paired with HL1, it just rocks.

Though the two barely connect, theme-wise. HL1 was slower-paced, and had you alternately slogging through a place problem-solving, creeping around paranoid, and fighting for your life against a horde.
HL2 was somewhat faster-paced, mainly involving skirting around your final aim before eventually infiltrating and ascending it.
HL1 was more focused on 'get out of here alive' rather than 'save the world', whereas in HL2 you never seem actually vulnerable. HL2 misses the dizzying scale of looking DOWN at things that HL1 had, the sudden risk of instant death, or the sense that you're actually fleeing from something. Instead, you're looking UP at things, fighting AGAINST the all-powerful thing trying to stop you, and introducing chaos to order rather than order to chaos.
HL2 also lacks impact compared to the original, due to it being a completely new world, instead of the wierd and crazy impinging on the world as you know it.

As for other single-player games, Deus Ex was fun, but wasn't really on a par with HL2, thanks to the vastly inferior graphics and physics engine. It quite possibly needs a Source mod.

GTA:SA is pretty much the ultimate in non-linearity, on the opposite end of the spectrum to HL2. No railroading, just strong hints of what to do in among idleness and pratting around. No real replay value, other than the enjoyment of just essentially doing nothing and performing simple maintenance on the system.
Mafia47
+27|6772|Chicago
it's good but i just LOVE F.E.A.R
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6751|California

Stingray24 wrote:

F.E.A.R. takes it for great AI and absolutely amazing graphics.
FEAR had shit. Its all smoke and mirrors.
Mafia47
+27|6772|Chicago

stryyker wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

F.E.A.R. takes it for great AI and absolutely amazing graphics.
FEAR had shit. Its all smoke and mirrors.
i like smoke and mirrors fancy matrix style shit = happy!!!!!
[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6690|SLC, Utah, USA
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Thief series.  The more recent one, Deadly Shadows, was ok.  It's new engine/graphics are what is keeping it on par with Thief 1 and 2 though.

Then I'd have to say HL1's campaign,

then Dues Ex (1, not the horrible horrible sequal), even though the aiming was pretty screwey (10 seconds, while crouching, to steady your aim with a pistol? sheesh)

Tron 2.0.  Great game, I think it snuck under most people's radar.

Then Half Life 2's.  I admit, it's a good SP, just doesn't hook me for some reason...

Open ended RPG'S?  Well, besides Oblivion, how about the superb Avernum series.  FANTASTIC large game, great story, tons and tons of side quests, powerful items, and all for less than 20 MB?  That's right, each whole game is less than 20 MB, and downloadable on that site I gave ya.  It's a demo they give, but you just need to input a registration code (bought from them) to unlock the whole game.

And all that's just PC games.  Don't get me started on SP for consoles.
falafel
+5|6361
of course it is, the graphics blow you away and the story is horrible and well-written

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard