MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6665
Check out this website Arnold for President.  Or don't check it out.  Basically it's a website devoted to changing the 2nd Amendment to allow someone who is NOT a natural born citizen to become President...this web site is trying to get this amendment changed for the specific purpose of getting Arnold Schwarzenegger a chance to run for President.

Just thought the whole thing was somewhat...humorous.

EDIT:  Changed the entire message.  The point that Bill cannot be Pres. or VP has been made and proven, so I thought I'd add a little something different to the topic.

Last edited by MastersMom (2006-12-22 09:36:48)

IRONCHEF
+385|6501|Northern California

sergeriver wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

I don't think the 22nd cancels any provisions of the 12th as they are two separate scenarios.

As for me, I'd prefer that neither of them make the white house..but if Hillary does win, and she considers her husband for a position, I'd hope he'd be chief of staff or some cabinet position as he'd be excellent in that capacity.  Vice President would be lame even if he could serve.  I'd much rather Hillary pick one of the dem, or even a moderate republican presidential candidates for VP.

But this is assuming Barrack is beaten by Hillary in the primaries, which I hope doesn't happen.
Do you think that a black guy called Hussein could become President of US?
Absolutely.  And I don't think 90% of the country knows his middle name, as if it mattered.  What is funny is that it's Barrack "Hussein" "Obama"  lol  How unlucky could you be, considering the perceived namesake he has with current politics and terrorism?  And little do most of us ignorant americans know that hussein is about as common as our 'smith.'

Barrack's charisma is so strong and his presence so honest looking/sounding that any petty things like his name, his race, his ancestral background, his relatively short time in politics can easily be overlooked.  In America, we like the guys that look good on TV and sound convincing (Mit Romney).  I think that's how most people vote.  If they get a good vibe from a candidate on TV (without knowing jack about their platform) they vote accordingly.  Sad, but true.  Oh, and money is a strong advantage to getting on TV enough to be seen by the people.  And frankly put, I can imagine these highly educated, very well spoken and learned guys as being president, vice president, and white house press secretary:

https://static.flickr.com/45/141893018_b0030cbf63_m.jpg
https://img.webring.com/r/w/wesleyclarkwebri/logo
https://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/images/cooper.anderson.jpg

Yep, the era of "The White House Pretty Boys" is upon us!

And a good secretary of state that EVERYONE would listen to...
https://www.diosa.net/circus/wp-content/themes/circus_diosa/images/LaraLogan-CBSnews.jpg

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2006-12-22 09:34:35)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6559|Southeastern USA

sergeriver wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

I don't think the 22nd cancels any provisions of the 12th as they are two separate scenarios.

As for me, I'd prefer that neither of them make the white house..but if Hillary does win, and she considers her husband for a position, I'd hope he'd be chief of staff or some cabinet position as he'd be excellent in that capacity.  Vice President would be lame even if he could serve.  I'd much rather Hillary pick one of the dem, or even a moderate republican presidential candidates for VP.

But this is assuming Barrack is beaten by Hillary in the primaries, which I hope doesn't happen.
Do you think that a black guy called Hussein could become President of US?
sad thing is, that's more likely to keep him out of the whitehouse than the fact that he's actually unqualified
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6653|England
Hasn't Hilary Clinton been campaining against video games in order to have them banned? Or was she just jumping on Jack Thompsons bandwagon?
IRONCHEF

kr@cker wrote:

sad thing is, that's more likely to keep him out of the whitehouse than the fact that he's actually unqualified
Oh good.  THis is something I've always wanted to know....

What exactly "qualifies" one to be president of the United States?

Given the current president, his qualifications for being there were what exactly?  And for that matter, what were Clinton's qualifications, being governor of Arkansas? 

Doctors have med school as the best source of qualification, and they still suck at their jobs.  Presidents have to simply be in political office (or not like some have never been and been quite good), to be considered usually.  So what is it to be 'qualified' to be president?

Frankly, I'd prefer a non-politician.  I'll take a successful business man who has traveled the world extensively and made a name for his company ethically as a good president ANYDAY over a state governor who is well worn into politics.
MastersMom
YOUR mom goes to college
+61|6665

IRONCHEF wrote:

Oh good.  THis is something I've always wanted to know....

What exactly "qualifies" one to be president of the United States?
Any Presidential Candidate must be a natural born U.S. Citizen, at least 35 years of age, and must have lived in the U.S. for at least 14 years.

I think those are the only requirements as stated by the U.S. Constitution.  The other unwritten requirement is that the candidate must possess the ability to convince enough seemingly uneducated Americans to vote for him/her.

I personally think Clinton (Bill) was a good president.  As for Dubbya...that was basically trying to choose the lesser of two evils during the first election.  And some would argue that the greater evil fixed the vote in Florida.  The second election, well, Kerry was doomed as a fence setter from the get go.  And with the events of 9/11 still in the back of everyone's mind, the last thing America wanted was a fence setter.  They wanted someone who would make a decision and move forward with it.  Unfortunately, now everyone wants those decisions to be made differently.
IRONCHEF
No.  I know what the constitutional requirements are as you've stated.  I was asking what kracker thought they were..."they" being what people consider them to be.  For example, John Edwards was running for president and was considered "unqualified" for some stupid reason and criticized for running because he "only had 1 term as a junior us senator" blah blah blah. 

My contention is that it's obvious that nobody knows what 'qualifies' a man, or woman to be president if they're basing said qualification on a political resume.
Thump-GoA-
Thump the ARTY finder!!
+31|6670

JG1567JG wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

JG1567JG wrote:

Clinton is allowed to be president again.  That amendment is there to only limit consecutive terms.  Clinton served two terms (8 years) and he became inelegible for office of the presidency only for the next four years.
Technically he could have ran against G.W. Bush when Bush ran for a second term.
Incorrect.  Once voted into office twice, you cannot be voted in again, no matter if your terms are consecutive or not.
I shall stand corrected after reading the 22nd amendment.  I was always told, by teachers that it was only for consectutive terms.
That's what I thought too.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6659|Washington DC

sergeriver wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

This basically rules out any loop-holes that one might imagine, as they try to get around the "letter of the law".  Won't happen ... guaranteed.
The 12th Amendment says "no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President."

But then Congress and the states added the 22nd Amendment in 1951 to prevent anyone from following the example of Franklin D. Roosevelt, who won four terms. That's where things get dicey. "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice," the 22nd Amendment says.
The 12th Amendment is an amendment about qualification ... the 22nd Amendment is an amendment about election.  Obviously, the US Constitution does not cover every scenario, which is why we have the Supreme Court to apply specific scenarios to the intent of the Constitution.

Since the obvious intent of the 22nd Amendment is to deny an individual from serving as President after two elected terms, then the 12th Amendment disqualifies a 2-term elected President from serving as Vice-President.

If Bill were to pursue this office, the Republicans would immediately bring this before the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court would rule against Bill ... I would even go as far as to predict it would be a 9-0 ruling.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard