Wolfren
+6|6672|USA
=Major.League.Infidel]That much money for a plane is just stupid.  No other remotely hostile or unfriendly nation out there can cope with our military (Grabs flameshield), and our current models are still doing fine.  If we upgraded the stuff we have (See: AH-1Z/UH-1Y) they'd be much cheaper, and still as effective.
Our jets are getting old and theirs is only so much you can do to upgrade them to fit the modern battlefield, bersides the repairing and longer time taken to repair the older equipment. Sometimes it makes sense to just trade up. And the price of the plane isnt much out of line give money saved on fuel/time/repairs of an older jet.
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6639|USA

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

That much money for a plane is just stupid.  No other remotely hostile or unfriendly nation out there can cope with our military (Grabs flameshield), and our current models are still doing fine.  If we upgraded the stuff we have (See: AH-1Z/UH-1Y) they'd be much cheaper, and still as effective.
Evidently you have no idea what a brand new F-16 costs, or how much we paid for F-15's.  Oh, btw, Your really going to get sticker shock when you see how much one of those pretty little cargo planes we have cost that they let trainees work on
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569
Finally!  Australia's the third buyer, and the planes this will replace (F-117?) are just about falling out of the sky....................
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6708|MoVal So-Cal

Warlord wrote:

It's no wonder the US deficit is where it is too ....

ยป American Tax Dollars Hard @ work ...

~ W
Yes they are, all those planes are recycled. The metals are stripped and melted down to make new planes, parts are taken to replace working ones and some are even re-furbished and sent to air museums. Our tax dollars are hard at work, thank you very much.
psH
Banned
+217|6391|Sydney

Bubbalo wrote:

Finally!  Australia's the third buyer, and the planes this will replace (F-117?) are just about falling out of the sky....................
LOL i remember that...rofl. I remember watching a documentary on the X-35B (thats what it was before its final stage) and i think that they whould have chose the one that Boeing offered. It looked SICK!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

China doesn't have the means to expand.  There is no way it could mobilize it's army to attack anywhere effectively.  Why do you think Taiwan hasn't been invaded yet?  Now if you were to attack them, that'd be a different story.
They haven't invaded Taiwan because they want to save face. They could however, do a mass invasion of Taiwan, China is willing to sacrifice hundreds and thousands of people. But those people need to be working in sweatshops. Taiwan has nothing to give China economically, or resourcefully. China is only doing the Taiwan is a rouge province shit just to save face.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Commie Killer wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

No, the PLAN has increased its entire fleet by 4 since 1998. Those carriers arent supposed to be ready until like 2015 anyways I think.
Well, that article does say they have postponed the launch of the first carrier till 2010, which isn't that far off.

I see what you're saying about increasing naval capacity, but without carriers a country cannot project military force overseas effectively. That's yet another reason the US navy is awesome, they have shitloads of amazing carriers.
To get to Taiwan they would have air cover from the mainland and they would just have to hall ass across the strait and hope to get there in one peace, though I doubt that even if they get across they could successfully gain control of the island.
They also don't have enough rowboats to invade Taiwan. US navy will be around to piss off China. But I would doubt the USA helping Taiwan at all...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569
No, Taiwan is calling Taiwan a rogue province because:

a)  It goes back to when they first won the war, and has to do with pride

and

b)  Technically, there's strong grounds for their claim

And invading Taiwan is far from a sure bet: Taiwan has a military subsidised by the US, and may well recieve US support in the event of a war.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Bubbalo wrote:

No, Taiwan is calling Taiwan a rogue province because:

a)  It goes back to when they first won the war, and has to do with pride

and

b)  Technically, there's strong grounds for their claim

And invading Taiwan is far from a sure bet: Taiwan has a military subsidised by the US, and may well recieve US support in the event of a war.
Awesome, we are so rouge that we have a fully equipped military. I personally think that the US won't do much if China invades Taiwan.
d3v1ldr1v3r13
Satan's disciple on Earth.
+160|6693|Hell's prison
They talk alot of turkey about F-16 replacement, but it wont happen, the F-15 is going bye bye, but the F-16 aint goin nowhere.  As for the Navy and Marine Corps, I dunno.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Awesome, we are so rouge that we have a fully equipped military. I personally think that the US won't do much if China invades Taiwan.
Yes.  States with red make-up are known for having well equipped militaries

And yes, you are rogue in part because you have a fully equipped military, and because neither that military nor the government accepts China's authority.  I'm also curious as to how much you know about the history of the conflict, given that the last time China threatened force the US sent a carrier groups speeding to your aid...............
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Bubbalo wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Yes.  States with red make-up are known for having well equipped militaries

And yes, you are rogue in part because you have a fully equipped military, and because neither that military nor the government accepts China's authority.  I'm also curious as to how much you know about the history of the conflict, given that the last time China threatened force the US sent a carrier groups speeding to your aid...............
Yes I know about the carrier group thing. There was another US carrier that was sent to Taiwan for a "visit" the last carrier with the F14s, it was about 2 years ago when that happened. Well, since our government don't take China's authority, what are they gonna do huh? They've been talking about invading for around hmm... 40 years now? And they haven't done much except for some air battles near kinmen which they've lost miserably. US will only help a while, but think about it, what has Taiwan have in exchange for America economically wise? Technology? It would only be a temporary problem, FABs can be moved.

Btw: Back on the topic... I think Taiwan might be ordering F35A version soon, the ministry of defense is talking about it.

Last edited by cyborg_ninja-117 (2006-12-19 05:04:51)

Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569
It has nothing to do with economy: the US has spent the last 40 years telling the world that if China attacks, they will defend.  If they don't, they'll look damn stupid.  Further, many analysts believe that this year, for the first time, China actually has the ability to successfully invade Taiwan: and inability is possibly one of the only reasons they haven't done so in the past.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Bubbalo wrote:

It has nothing to do with economy: the US has spent the last 40 years telling the world that if China attacks, they will defend.  If they don't, they'll look damn stupid.  Further, many analysts believe that this year, for the first time, China actually has the ability to successfully invade Taiwan: and inability is possibly one of the only reasons they haven't done so in the past.
Remember how England said they would protect Czechoslovakia and Poland? yeah... that worked out really great. I personally think history would repeat itself.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569
No, England said that they would go to war with Germany if they invaded.  Germany invaded, they did (eventually, after first asking them nicely to leave..............Chamberlain was........not bright)
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Bubbalo wrote:

No, England said that they would go to war with Germany if they invaded.  Germany invaded, they did (eventually, after first asking them nicely to leave..............Chamberlain was........not bright)
Rofl @ derailment.

Well, US may or may not help, but in the end, I will be out of here when that happens.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569
Yes.  You will fly away on your JSFcopter.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Bubbalo wrote:

Yes.  You will fly away on your JSFcopter.
Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I already considered signing up for the RAAF.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569
My Physics teacher is joining the RAAF as a reservist (former physics teacher, technically).  He might get to be near a JSF............
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6557|Southeastern USA

That much money for a plane is just stupid.  No other remotely hostile or unfriendly nation out there can cope with our military (Grabs flameshield), and our current models are still doing fine.  If we upgraded the stuff we have (See: AH-1Z/UH-1Y) they'd be much cheaper, and still as effective.
how do you think it got and stays that way? the tomcat was pushing 4 decades, the f-15 is in it's 3rd (in fact china's big boast is that the su-30 is superior to the 15, which had it's maiden flight in 1972, to the point of using "artists impressions" of it smoking 15's for publicity), they won't still be costing that much in 2027

on topic, is this the new top gun vehicle then?
Skorpy-chan
+127|6353|Twyford, UK

Commie Killer wrote:

Sadly A10 is getting replaced by the F35. I dont entirely agree on that because the A10 is a low cost machine that is the best in its field for CAS missions.
They said that about the F-16, but didn't replace it then, either. I think it's going to end up lasting like the B-52 is; upgraded and repaired and patched because they can't improve on it sufficiently to replace it entirely.
montypythizzle
+21|6610
watch out for the j10!!!!
Krappyappy
'twice cooked beef!'
+111|6828
cyborgninja is the only one here with any remote clue how things work in the taiwan strait.

the rest is just noise.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard