sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
That's your hard task.  You must name 5 politicians alive of any country in the World you respect.  If you happen to respect more than 5, name the 5 you respect the most, but I really doubt it.

My vote:
Bill Clinton, US
Jimmy Carter, US
Nelson Mandela, South Africa
Fidel Castro, Cuba (don't like Communism, but the man deserves respect)
Mikhail, Gorbachev, Russia (former USSR)
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6499|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
Gough Whitlam, Australia

Amazingly I couldn't think of any more after those 2. Why is it that so many politicians are totally devoid of morality? Why does power corrupt like it does?

Last edited by TeamZephyr (2007-02-15 02:04:27)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

TeamZephyr wrote:

Gough Whitlam, Australia
Fidel Castro, Cuba

Amazingly I couldn't think of any more after those 3. Why is it that so many politicians are totally devoid of morality? Why does power corrupt like it does?
At least you mentioned someone from your country, sadly I can't do the same.
pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6741|Rotherham, England
Robert Kilroy-Silk
Nick Griffin
Nelson Mandella
Margeret Thatcher
Fidel Castro
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

TeamZephyr wrote:

Gough Whitlam, Australia
Fidel Castro, Cuba

Amazingly I couldn't think of any more after those 3. Why is it that so many politicians are totally devoid of morality? Why does power corrupt like it does?
Fidel? Thousands of Cubans have died just trying to flee.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6734|mansfield
name five i respect .........................erm ...............erm

PASS!!
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6762
First one, you won't know him, he's my father.  A politician at a local level - right now he's chair of his local parish council.  Anyway, in this day and age of "get as much as you can, any way you can", he still has morals.

He's selling his house and there were several interested people.  After much wrangling on the price, one person offered more than he was asking for.  My father accepted the offer, but as we all know, it takes a while for house sales to go through.  Next week, on hearing that an offer had been accepted, two more offers came in, both for more money.  However, my father is a man of his word and since he'd accepted the lower offer already, he won't go back on the deal even though he's losing about £50,000.

He single-handedly broke up my parents marriage but I still respect him, more so for the house sale.
TeamZephyr

sergeriver wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

Gough Whitlam, Australia
Fidel Castro, Cuba

Yes, unfortunately Argentina isn't really known for it's glowing politicans, but hardly any country in the world is. Most modern politicans are conplacent and simply after the power and the money that is gained from being in politics. The real politicians and the real leaders are the ones that sacrificed everything including their own life and wellbeing to gain what they believe was right for their country.

An example of a politician that "risked it all" would be George Washington.

An example of a sell-out politican would be former activist Peter Garrett (known in Australia as The Member For Kingsford Smith). He used to be a greenie and indigenous rights activist and singer of the band Midnight Oil. But was elected for the fucking Labor Party at the elections and now sits in a suit in Australia parliament. He now tries to stop the Australian Greens from being elected and supports the building of more uranium mines.

A man that once had morals that was corrupted by major party politics.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
John Hume, Ireland
Gerry Adams, Ireland
David Ervine, Ireland (Northern)
Brian Cowan, Ireland (known affectionately in the media as BIFFO -> Big Ignorant Fucker From Offaly)
Fidel Castro, Cuba
Mikhail Gorbachev, Russia
John McCain, USA
William Jefferson Clinton, USA
Ken Livingstone, UK
Saeb Erekat, Palestine
Ehud Barak, Israel
Aung Sang Su Kyi, Myanmar
Mohammed Khatami, Iran

And least respect?

Michael McDowell, Ireland
Ian Paisley, Ireland (Northern)
Peter Robinson, Ireland (Northern)
Sammy Wilson, Ireland (Northern)
Nigel Dodds, Ireland (Northern)
Silvio Berlusconi, Italy
José Maria Aznar, Spain
Margaret Thatcher, UK
Tony Blair, UK
George W. Bush, USA
Donald Rumsfeld, USA
Paul Wolfowitz, USA
Richard Perle, USA
Richard Ashcroft, USA
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad, Iran
Ishmael Haniya, Palestine
Ariel Sharon, Israel
Binyamin Netanyahu, Israel
Kim Jong Il, North Korea
John Howard, Australia

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-12-18 04:44:43)

Macca
Cylons' my kinda frak
+72|6415|Australia.
Erm...

Hans Blix.
Macca
Cylons' my kinda frak
+72|6415|Australia.

TeamZephyr wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

Gough Whitlam, Australia
Fidel Castro, Cuba

Yes, unfortunately Argentina isn't really known for it's glowing politicans, but hardly any country in the world is. Most modern politicans are conplacent and simply after the power and the money that is gained from being in politics. The real politicians and the real leaders are the ones that sacrificed everything including their own life and wellbeing to gain what they believe was right for their country.

An example of a sell-out politican would be former activist Peter Garrett (known in Australia as The Member For Kingsford Smith). He used to be a greenie and indigenous rights activist and singer of the band Midnight Oil. But was elected for the fucking Labor Party at the elections and now sits in a suit in Australia parliament. He now tries to stop the Australian Greens from being elected and supports the building of more uranium mines.

Shame...I thought he would have had good potential to be a good Polie.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

The respect for Fidel is amazing. Admiring a violent policy of intolerance and repressiveness truly boggles me.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

TeamZephyr wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

Gough Whitlam, Australia
Fidel Castro, Cuba

It's true.  There's a joke about our politicians.  You may know Carlos M. (I don't name him but he was president in the 90's, you all know who I'm talking about).  Well, one day Clinton invites Carlos M. to his house and when he arrives to the house, Carlos M. says "Bill, this house is amazing, how did you get it?  Then, Clinton says "Do you see that bridge over there?"  and Carlos M. says "Yes, why?"  Clinton goes "Well, the 10% is in my pocket".  The next year Clinton paid a visit to Carlos M. and gets to his house in Argentina.  When Clinton sees the palace where Carlos M. lived he says "Carlos, this house is at least four times larger than mine, how did you build it?"  Carlos M. says "Do you see that bridge over there?"  Clinton looks in that direction and sees nothing and says "But there's nothing there"  and Carlos M. says "well, the 100% is in my pocket".
TeamZephyr

Macca wrote:

Shame...I thought he would have had good potential to be a good Polie.
I agree, he would have made a good poly. But he joined the Labor Party and had to tow the party line, which meant that he had to dispose of all the morality that he had during his time as an Oil.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6712|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
UK
Gerry Fitt
Tony Benn
Tony Blair (except for the invasion of Iraq)
Mo Mowlam
John Hume

ooops 2 of mine are dead but only recently

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-12-18 04:40:19)

cospengle
+140|6457|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Bob Hawke of course, he drank a yard glass in 11 seconds
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

Kmarion wrote:

TeamZephyr wrote:

Gough Whitlam, Australia
Fidel Castro, Cuba

Fidel? Thousands of Cubans have died just trying to flee.
They should put a little bit more effort into their rafts. Fidel himself said that if they want to go then let them.
cospengle
+140|6457|Armidale, NSW, Australia

CameronPoe wrote:

They should put a little bit more effort into their rafts. Fidel himself said that if they want to go then let them.
Do you think he'd have said that if they weren't on an island?
artofsurvival
Idiot!
+33|6327|the Great British Queendom :)
Definatley:
Marageret Thatcher
Nelson Mandela
Winston Churchill
Fidal Castro
Hitler (Even though he tried to take over the world, he did unite a whole country under one following and was a very impressive spokesman)
You may disagree with some or all of them but hey I don't care!
Polux
H@x ?? No, just skill baby !
+73|6617|I smell corners
Winston Churchill
Helmut Kohl
Nelson Mandela
Jean-Claude Junker
Macca
Cylons' my kinda frak
+72|6415|Australia.

artofsurvival wrote:

Hitler (Even though he tried to take over the world, he did unite a whole country under one following and was a very impressive spokesman)
Hitler is alive?

...OMFG!
PuN!sHer
+18|6529

artofsurvival wrote:

So many people died because of his doings, he doesn´t deserve any respect.
artofsurvival
Idiot!
I realise that Hitler was a bad man, but look at this way, how many other people do you know that achieved what Hitler did? I still despise the man for the Holocaust etc, but he still achieved a great deal? Correct me if I am wrong?
TeamZephyr

artofsurvival wrote:

I realise that Hitler was a bad man, but look at this way, how many other people do you know that achieved what Hitler did? I still despise the man for the Holocaust etc, but he still achieved a great deal? Correct me if I am wrong?
The thread title says "Name 5 Politicians Alive You Respect.
artofsurvival
Idiot!
Yeah sorry all, thought I might liven things up a bit

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard