Poll

Should Northern Ireland be reunited with the Republic of Ireland?

Yes69%69% - 34
No22%22% - 11
It depends (explain)8%8% - 4
Total: 49
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6887|Comber, Northern Ireland

kiteboarderni wrote:

fuck no. we are doin well enough as it is with out you southern people screwing it up. hell i love down suth but i like NI being part of the UK as it is.
we are doing well? who is we?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6914|UK

Bertster7 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

That's what the Israelis say.
Except we have been there for 850 years... and until people started attacking other people, ie rebels or the IRA there weren't many mentionable problems there.
That's 'cos we don't treat the Irish as badly as the Israelis treat the Palestinians. Don't get me wrong, the Irish were treated badly, but it's not as bad as in Palestine.

Nor can I imagine Israel offering the Palestinians a referendum on whether they want all their land back.

But, back to the original point, it is an occupation.
Well based on that we are occupying England, return it to the Saxons, its their rightful land.

While we are at it, America should be returned to the American Indians.

Last edited by Vilham (2006-12-13 16:07:28)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6553|North Carolina
*shrugs*  First, what do most of the people in Northern Ireland want to do?  Stay part of the U.K. or become part of Ireland?

Second....  If most citizens want to stay in the U.K., then the others can move to the Republic of Ireland, instead of fighting about it.

If most citizens want to become part of Ireland again, then the others can move to Scotland, England, or Wales, instead of fighting about it.

Either way, majority should rule.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6729|SE London

Vilham wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Except we have been there for 850 years... and until people started attacking other people, ie rebels or the IRA there weren't many mentionable problems there.
That's 'cos we don't treat the Irish as badly as the Israelis treat the Palestinians. Don't get me wrong, the Irish were treated badly, but it's not as bad as in Palestine.

Nor can I imagine Israel offering the Palestinians a referendum on whether they want all their land back.

But, back to the original point, it is an occupation.
Well based on that we are occupying England, return it to the Saxons, its their rightful land.
Saxons don't exist anymore. When was the last time you were able to distinguish between a Saxon and a Norman? The English are one people now.

That's what they should be doing in Palestine. The Jews and the Arabs should all be fucking each other and these sorts of problems would disappear in time. There's too much damn segregation everywhere.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6914|UK
Are you claiming the Irish havent segregated in the last 850 years because if so thats bull. I know a hell of a lot of people with part Irish roots, if it works one way its gunna work the other.
Turquoise
O Canada

Bertster7 wrote:

That's what they should be doing in Palestine. The Jews and the Arabs should all be fucking each other and these sorts of problems would disappear in time. There's too much damn segregation everywhere.
The Bulworth solution...  I totally agree... 
CameronPoe
+2,925|6703

Vilham wrote:

Are you claiming the Irish havent segregated in the last 850 years because if so thats bull. I know a hell of a lot of people with part Irish roots, if it works one way its gunna work the other.
The level of cross-community marriages/relationships in Northern Ireland is remarkably low. People actually actively show disdain for people who 'cross the divide'.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6703

Turquoise wrote:

*shrugs*  First, what do most of the people in Northern Ireland want to do?  Stay part of the U.K. or become part of Ireland?

Second....  If most citizens want to stay in the U.K., then the others can move to the Republic of Ireland, instead of fighting about it.

If most citizens want to become part of Ireland again, then the others can move to Scotland, England, or Wales, instead of fighting about it.

Moving people who own property and whose ancestors have lived there since time began is a little ridiculous. Thatcher once had to be restrained by an aide from calling for Northern Ireland to be ethnically cleansed. Cow.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-12-13 16:18:44)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6729|SE London

Vilham wrote:

What?

Do you mean the Irish have integrated? If so, of course they have to some extent. Which is one of the main reasons why not all of the people in Northern Ireland want it to become part of Ireland.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-12-13 16:18:16)

ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6622|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
who cares, NI is crappy anyways, i dont care what happens to them
CameronPoe
+2,925|6703
It must be pretty shitty being a Northern Irish Unionist/Loyalist because it seems that a lot of British people couldn't care less about them really.
Turquoise
O Canada

CameronPoe wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Moving people who own property and whose ancestors have lived there since time began is a little ridiculous. Thatcher once had to be restrained by an aide from calling for Northern Ireland to be ethnically cleansed. Cow.
While the ridiculousness of the Thatcher thing beats all, I'd argue that the fact that there still is this conflict in Northern Ireland (and a refusal for people to cross the divide) is pretty ridiculous in and of itself.  I'd say it reminds me of a much milder version of the ridiculous conflict between the Israelis and the Palestinians.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6776|IRELAND

Bertster7 wrote:

Amen to that.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6729|SE London

CameronPoe wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

She was a bit of a bitch. Apparently she threatened the Argentinians with nukes during the Falklands, which seems a bit over the top. She did tend to get a bit carried away. It's a good thing the IRA missed her in Brighton though, otherwise Northern Ireland would be in a real mess right now.

*Edited to remove racial slur (I lived with an Argentinian last year and Argie bashing became kind of rountine)*

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-12-13 16:32:54)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6890|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

CameronPoe wrote:

It must be pretty shitty being a Northern Irish Unionist/Loyalist because it seems that a lot of British people couldn't care less about them really.
I don't feel sorry, because I reckon that once we get this shit about our assembly sorted out - I see Sinn Fein were in with Hugh Orde today to sort out Policing - get MI5 out of Northern Ireland, and all those in Special Branch who murdered Catholics and are still in the PSNI out of office and they can do business, fair enough most sane people should be able to live with that - once this country get's going it will fly, we just need to get the democratic institutions up and running & people working for each other and the extremists out of office.

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-12-13 16:50:11)

fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6639|Menlo Park, CA
Its 2006, The British empire is a thing of the past. . . . so should go the occupation of Northern Ireland!

I believe that Ireland should be one island, one country, and united under one flag!! I love the Brits enormously, but I have to say they need to give N. Ireland back to the native Irish.

Last edited by fadedsteve (2006-12-13 22:23:52)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6920|PNW

CameronPoe wrote:

Moving people who own property and whose ancestors have lived there since time began is a little ridiculous.
No it isn't. It means I own a little bit of land at the origin of humanity. MOVE OVER, MODERN INHABITANTS!
BVC
+325|6843
From what I've seen on the news, yes.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6887|Comber, Northern Ireland

ELITE-UK wrote:

fuck you asswipe
JonnyNuemonic
+22|6860|Dublin, Republic of Ireland

david363 wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

fuck you asswipe
Just shows the level of repect that some of your country men from across the pond thing of NI ???? Why would anyone want to be part of a united kingdom when members thing of your like that ???
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6914|UK

JonnyNuemonic wrote:

david363 wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

fuck you asswipe
Just shows the level of repect that some of your country men from across the pond thing of NI ???? Why would anyone want to be part of a united kingdom when members thing of your like that ???
Who would want to be part of RI when they cross the border just to blow people up???

Works both ways you see...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6703

Vilham wrote:

JonnyNuemonic wrote:

david363 wrote:

fuck you asswipe
Who would want to be part of RI when they cross the border just to blow people up???

I was sure I saw an article in the media about the Provisional IRA decommissioning all of its weapons and ceasing operations. Maybe I dreamed it.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6776|IRELAND

Vilham wrote:

You are showing your lack of knowledge on the subject with that comment. No one had to cross the border to blow ppl up. Plenty of takers for that job in the North. Some people did cross from the Republic back to Northern Ireland to carry out killings, but they were Northern Irish Republicans who crossed the border to hide in the Republic. Don't you understand that it was a conflict within Northern Ireland. It spilled into the Republic on more than one occasion though. The Loyalists decided it was time to punish the Republic Of Ireland for having a claim over Northern Ireland. Another reason why the Republic still doesn't offer N.I republicans any reassurances on the claim. Pussy's.
Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_and … n_Bombings
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6940

CameronPoe wrote:

If they resorted to violence, I think they should have been locked up and had the key thrown away, just like the other side.  The current policy on releasing terrorists after a couple of years, despite having committed the most heinous crimes, is barmy.

If they were committed to peace, never threw rocks, never picked up a gun or molotov cocktail, fine, I'm quite happy for them.  Peaceful, democratic solutions are the way forward.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6914|UK

CameronPoe wrote:

Vilham wrote:

JonnyNuemonic wrote:

I was sure I saw an article in the media about the Provisional IRA decommissioning all of its weapons and ceasing operations. Maybe I dreamed it.
That doesn't mean there arent people in RI who still would like to do it does it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard