Poll

What's the verdict on the UN's outgoing Kofi Annan?

Hooray34%34% - 17
Meh34%34% - 17
Boo30%30% - 15
Total: 49
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565
Kofi Annan has concluded his tenure as secretary general of the UN. What will his legacy be? How will he go down in history? Did he do a good job, overall? What were his flaws?

Kofi Annan, Final Speech wrote:

"No nation can make itself secure by seeking supremacy over others."

"There's no secretary-general of the United Nations that's going to be in lock-step with the United States or any other country with regard to its policies."

"When power, especially military force, is used, the world at large will consider it legitimate only when convinced that it Is being used for the right purpose - for broadly shared aims."

"This country has historically been in the vanguard of the global human rights movement. But that lead can only be maintained if America remains true to its principles.When it appears to abandon its own ideals and objectives, its friends abroad are naturally troubled and confused."

"In order to function effectively, the system still cries out for far-sighted leadership in the Truman tradition."
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6712|New York
I for one am glad. I also cant believe he had the nerve to stand in the US and blast the US on its role in the world, And on Human rights of all things. The guy is a currupt assclown who needed replaceing.

Do you have ANY idea how much those asshats in the UN owe the city of New York in Fines for Illegal parking? Diplomatic Imunity my ass, They owe in the Millions. Man Sorry cam, But i cant stand the UN or what its suppose to stand for, because it sure doesnt stand as Nations united at all.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6657|Peoria
The last great thing the UN did was organize the Coalition Forces for the first Gulf-War.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

I for one am glad. I also cant believe he had the nerve to stand in the US and blast the US on its role in the world, And on Human rights of all things. The guy is a currupt assclown who needed replaceing.

Do you have ANY idea how much those asshats in the UN owe the city of New York in Fines for Illegal parking? Diplomatic Imunity my ass, They owe in the Millions. Man Sorry cam, But i cant stand the UN or what its suppose to stand for, because it sure doesnt stand as Nations united at all.
Hey, I'm not big on the UN myself (possibly for other reasons though).

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-12-12 05:44:08)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6752|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
I thought it was a very good speech myself and agree with all the sentiments that he expressed.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6712|New York

IG-Calibre wrote:

I thought it was a very good speech myself and agree with all the sentiments that he expressed.
You would, How the hell can you sit there and agree on his assesment on the US and human rights? Our country leads the world On this front. But theres just some things you have to do to track down and catch people who want to do harm to our country. Im sure you would want your country protected right? If not, then i dont know what to say to you.

Thats good to know Cam, Im getting scared, we have agreed on 2 things in a weeks time.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6752|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

You would, How the hell can you sit there and agree on his assesment on the US and human rights? Our country leads the world On this front..
"This country has historically been in the vanguard of the global human rights movement. But that lead can only be maintained if America remains true to its principles.When it appears to abandon its own ideals and objectives, its friends abroad are naturally troubled and confused."
I think also even more important was when he said
..The US has given the world an example of a democracy in which everyone, including the most powerful, is subject to legal restraint.
Take note President Bush, he bitch slapped you with this quote
As Harry Truman said, "We all have to recognise, no matter how great our strength, that we must deny ourselves the licence to do always as we please."

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2006-12-12 06:02:44)

Jenkinsbball
Banned
+149|6558|USA bitches!
This is what the UN is about.... I'll let Mr. Hans Brix tell the tale:

We need someone there that will actually ACT! What's the point of having a United Nations when it doesn't even do what it's supposed to do?

Last edited by Jenkinsbball (2006-12-12 06:33:55)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6529|Πάϊ
I guess "Meh" best describes the UN in general...

As far as Kofi Annan is concerned, I doubt he was ever in a position - despite any good intentions on his part - to break away from that "meh" disposition characterizing the whole institution.
ƒ³
JahManRed
wank
+646|6638|IRELAND

Kofi Annan had the right intension's but ultimately his hands were tied up in Vito after Vito.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6559|Southeastern USA
He will be rememberd fondly

basically the only skills he excelled at were monday morning quarter-backing and pillow biting

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-12-12 07:27:46)

splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6749|Omaha, Nebraska
He could not have said things better. GJ
IRONCHEF
+385|6501|Northern California
Kofi pwnt Bush!   Bout time too.  Bummer he didn't try to prosecute Bush & co. while he was at it.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6559|Southeastern USA

IRONCHEF wrote:

Kofi pwnt Bush!   Bout time too.  Bummer he didn't try to prosecute Bush & co. while he was at it.
prosecute him for what? enforcing surrender treaties that he refused to? no investigations will ever occur because the only ones charged with anything will be the annan's for their oil-for-food funding

"no seriously, it was only my son and i'm just the head of the UN, I knew nothing about what was going on!!"
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6455|The Land of Scott Walker
Hooray!  Headstone pretty much summed it up: Annan was a corrupt assclown that needed replacing.
Commie Killer
+192|6397

Elamdri wrote:

The last great thing the UN did was organize the Coalition Forces for the first Gulf-War.
Yea your right, and before that...what was it? Korea? UN=fail. Without the UN you would probably have more civilians alive and leaving under freedom instead of oppression.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
Good riddance, Kofi.  You procrastinating, oil-for-food bastard.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

Commie Killer wrote:

Elamdri wrote:

Yea your right, and before that...what was it? Korea? UN=fail. Without the UN you would probably have more civilians alive and leaving under freedom instead of oppression.
Without the UN we probably would havea had three, if not four, world wars. The UN is the reason we are not going to have another one again.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6712|New York

IRONCHEF wrote:

Like to see that asshat try. What have we done except to try and make a country better than it was? Is it our fault the pricks lied about wanting to be liberated? Is it our fault we cant stop the tards from going about there sectarian ways? What do you do when the concensus from them was to be a democratic country, then they turn around and do a 180 on our ass? You tell me. The Fucking UN couldnt do shit to saddam for over 10 years, mainly because of frances veto powers and a couple others on the security council. We went in to do a Job the rest of the world Wanted done, but wont admit it, and the UN turns around and Says "fuck ya, its your mess you deal with it"? Screw that, We always get crapped on for doing what ALL the others are afraid to do, (but want it done)!!! Pay your frigging parking fines you pricks!
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6712|New York

Spark wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Elamdri wrote:

Without the UN we probably would havea had three, if not four, world wars. The UN is the reason we are not going to have another one again.
Are you GD kidding me? They dont want to deal with NK, they are afraid of Iran, they wont do shit in africa, should i go on? They want US to do it ALL. FFS already. This way they can all pretend there hands are clean when I and the rest of the people without UN blinders on Know that they have more blood on there hands than anyone, and there will be more because of there inaction!
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6539|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
The world is seriously screwed up when someone with morality and an idea on how we can build a better world is booed out of office while a warmonger can be celebrated by millions and elected twice.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Spark wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Are you GD kidding me? They dont want to deal with NK, they are afraid of Iran, they wont do shit in africa, should i go on? They want US to do it ALL. FFS already. This way they can all pretend there hands are clean when I and the rest of the people without UN blinders on Know that they have more blood on there hands than anyone, and there will be more because of there inaction!
"they wont do shit in africa"

I'd retract that statement, they are doing more than you will ever know.

"They dont want to deal with NK, they are afraid of Iran,"

A cornered beast is not safe to approach. In any case, what they are doing is light-years more effective than a go-in-bomb-the-shit-outta-them policy.

So you think the UN should be disbanded, and the world - instead of being an international community - should split up into several powerful states again? Gee, what a great idea! Pity it led to two world wars.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
weamo8
+50|6453|USA
How many genocides happened on his watch?  He is a worthless p.o.s.

Last edited by weamo8 (2006-12-12 19:54:49)

<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6712|New York

TeamZephyr wrote:

The world is seriously screwed up when someone with morality and an idea on how we can build a better world is booed out of office while a warmonger can be celebrated by millions and elected twice.
YAh and its even worse when people celebrate and admire that asshat in Iran on this forum too isnt it? Whatever.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6712|New York

Spark wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Spark wrote:

"they wont do shit in africa"

I'd retract that statement, they are doing more than you will ever know.

"They dont want to deal with NK, they are afraid of Iran,"

A cornered beast is not safe to approach. In any case, what they are doing is light-years more effective than a go-in-bomb-the-shit-outta-them policy.

So you think the UN should be disbanded, and the world - instead of being an international community - should split up into several powerful states again? Gee, what a great idea! Pity it led to two world wars.
No spark, It needs to be Reformed with actual rules that WILL be fallowed. Most vetos and such are missused, and most powers of these representatives are abused. I mean Cmon, do you remember when they put libia in charge of human rights? Its crazy crap like that that needs to change. Im not at all against a world forum, but the corruption that exists now in there is just wrong. The UN is actually afraid to deal with Iran, YET the rest of the world agrees, that they dont need to have nukes. So what good is the UN if they wont do anything about it then give this guy a platform to spew his garbage and hate? What about Hugo's total dissrespect in a international forum for the US???

As for Africa, Its surely not the UN thats doing the most its things like the red cross, and ALL the other private and also public charities doing the most good. The UN wont set a boot on the ground to stop the killing. Not One and they havent yet. The US tried once before, and it got us dead soldiers and a shot down chopper. But again, It was the US that tried to take out a warloard alone.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard