Poll

Which was the Most Significant Episode of WWII?

The Attack on Pearl Harbor11%11% - 14
Battle of Stalingrad23%23% - 29
Operation Barbarossa12%12% - 15
Invasion of Poland4%4% - 6
Invasion of France0%0% - 1
D-Day16%16% - 21
Battle of Britain8%8% - 11
Battle of Midway0%0% - 1
Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki14%14% - 18
Other6%6% - 8
Total: 124
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina
Which was in your opinion the most significant moment of WWII?  Explain.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6511|Adelaide, South Australia

Stalingrad.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6521|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Stalingrad.
Seconded.
FrenziedAU
+6|6439|Australia
Operation Barbarossa, which led to Stalingrad.
.:XDR:.PureFodder
+105|6821
The Eastern front in general.
EVieira
+105|6469|Lutenblaag, Molvania

TeamZephyr wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Stalingrad.
Seconded.
Thirded
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

1. Operation Barbarossa
2. Battle of Britain
3. D-Day

Were it not for Operation Barbarossa I think Hitler would have won the war in Europe.
If the Battle of Britain had not been won by the British then Operation Sea Lion would have succeeded, if that had succeeded D-Day would never have happened.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6619|IRELAND

Dropping the A Bombs.
It ended the war in the pacific but spawned a whole new arms race, cold war and a hundred wars fought by satellite nations since. It put wiping out entire civilian areas in one fail swoop on the negotiating table for good. And in a round about way through mutually assured destruction keeps the nations with nukes away from each others throats while they act like puppet masters in satellite wars.
spray_and_pray
+52|6482|Perth. Western Australia
Stalingrad (more people died in it then in any other battle and it was the turning point in the war)
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
Damn, I should have said Poland. Without the invasion thereof, none of the latter events would have occurred.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Actually - Barbarossa, the beginning of the end.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-12-11 04:49:09)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6511|Adelaide, South Australia

DesertFox423 wrote:

Damn, I should have said Poland. Without the invasion thereof, none of the latter events would have occurred.
"You forgot Poland"

Last edited by Fenris_GreyClaw (2006-12-11 04:51:28)

malarkeycoon
+16|6631|Cardiff
Barbarossa. Too much area, not enough soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barbarossa
If they'd stopped at Poland (or concentrated on a smaller part of Russia), Europe could have been a very different place today.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6756|Dallas
I voted Stalingrad because it was the most clear cut and decisive turning point in the war.

A close second is the invasion of Poland, because after all, it started the whole damn thing.  But, the poll said in the war and technically the invasion of Poland was before the official war, since it was launched in a time of peace and resulted in a declaration of war.

Also, coming in a close third is The Battle of Leyte Gulf.  It was the largest naval battle in history, one of the single largest air to air combat battles in history, the first use of kamikaze suicide planes and was the major turning point in the favor of the allies in the pacific theater.
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6784
Poland.  If that hadn't happened, none of the others would have.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
For me it's like this: if Hitler hadn't bothered to commence Operation Barbarossa he would have taken Europe. He would have been able to concentrate fully on dispatching England, which only narrowly beat Germany in the Battle of Britain, while the US seemed disinterested in the plight of Europe at the time and were prepared to do with business with Hitler if he was victorious.

THe problem is though that Japan would still have attacked USA. Maybe if, in this hypothetical situation, Germany didn't bother to declare war on USA (just to side with Japan), after having consolidated in Europe and not committed troops to fight Russia, the Pacific war would have been just that - a regional war detached from the conflict in Europe.

In essence if the stupidity of Hitler could be described as an 'episode' then it would be the most significant 'episode' of the war.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-12-11 06:05:53)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6835|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Operation Gunnerside IMO.

Prevented Hitler from getting the atomic bomb. (Go Norway )
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6730|The Hague, Netherlands

Battle of Stalingrad
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6358|Columbus, Ohio
Okinawa
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6734|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - I would of thought the reason why was pretty obvious..
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6756|Dallas

usmarine2007 wrote:

Okinawa
WTH? Okinawa was pretty much us saying "lolz, we are on your mainlands".
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6747|United States of America
I said Pearl Harbor.  If the japs hadn't hit there, the US wouldn't have entered the war for a long time.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

Miller wrote:

I said Pearl Harbor.  If the japs hadn't hit there, the US wouldn't have entered the war for a long time.
Oh I'm sorry, but we are talking about WWII in whole, not just the US participation.
herrr_smity
+156|6619|space command ur anus
Battle of Britain, If Britain hadn't held its own the nazis wold have won the war
Sydney
2λчиэλ

herrr_smity wrote:

Battle of Britain, If Britain hadn't held its own the nazis wold have won the war
It's true actually, because if Britain had fallen Hitler could have focused all his forces to the eastern front and he would have crushed the Russians that way I believe.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard