Darkavian000
+5|6539|Illinois
Well said. I was a die hard console gamer until i cut my teeth under Unreal Tournament for the PC so many years ago. I still enjoy both just the same but the PC industry is getting so expensive with the new hardware a lot of gamers are turning to newer consoles with PC ported titles to tide them over. There's so much to gain from having both (if one can afford it) so I'm no fanboy of any sort. I think we're just going through a changing phase with new hardware for PC (namely DX10 cards and multicore processors) that, for the time being, it's just easier and more affordable for most to just get a 360 or PS3 and enjoy next gen games. PC gaming will mostly likely pick up once prices have dropped and the unupgradable consoles start to show their age. Enjoy what you can afford but don't know what you can't or what isn't your cup of tea. Too each his own.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477
It is way stronger than it was 4 years ago. I hear alot of people who switched from console to PC, none pc to console. Most of these people began their switch with WOW CSS or BF2, so it is the pc's greatly superior online capbilities and library of games.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Here's my take on the 3 consoles:

Personally, I think Microsoft is the only company that got it right this generation. The Xbox 360 is moderately priced, uses a centralized online gaming plan, already has an impressive library of great games, and boasts the best graphics for a console game to date.

I do not agree with Sony's approach to the Playstation 3. It way too expensive for a console and supports a losing format. Currently, there are no games that justify its price or show off its power. At best, I can only see PS3 games looking marginally better than Xbox 360 games. But even then, I think those games are a long way off and will be few in number.

The Nintendo Wii is a toss-up for me. I like Nintendo's innovative approach, but the console lacks the strong 3rd party support that the 360 has. The third party support it does have has not really effectively implemented the new controller yet. That means the best titles, of course, will be Nintendo games. However, titles such as Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Galaxy are still a long way off. Of the currently released games, the only worthwhile purchase is Zelda (which happens to be a Gamecube game). My only major beef with the Wii is that it's 5-year-old technology. Brand new games, and even games in development, already look dated.
I'd say it's too soon to tell with either the Wii or the PS3. The Wii will probably be a success, if only for the fact that it is by far the cheapest current-gen console, also it's aimed partly at a younger market - I can see a lot of parents buying them for their kids.

The 360 is a hit. The only problem I have with it is that everything you want to do with it costs money. The number of little expansions available for it and amount of downloadable content that you have to pay for is both an excellent money making idea for Microsoft and a pain in the arse for consumers. Everything else about the console is very nice.

The PS3 could be an awesome console. Too soon to tell at the moment. I seriously doubt it will fail because it's a Playstation, people will buy it. It also has the benefit of being able to claim it is the most powerful games console available, which will attract more buyers.
Brasso
+1,549|6639

Hah!  No, obviously the PC gaming magazines you picked up were the wrong ones.  Just pick up any issue of PC Gamer, you'll see how confident editors, game developers, and even PC gamers themselves are about the whole "issue".  Yes, the PC is hardest to configure, upgrade, choose from, etc.  Consoles definitely have the "noob" advantage.  But PCs are the most rewarding IMO.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2006-12-10 13:41:20)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6857|San Francisco

Bertster7 wrote:

The Wii will probably be a success, if only for the fact that it is by far the cheapest current-gen console, also it's aimed partly at a younger market - I can see a lot of parents buying them for their kids.
I disagree that the Wii is aimed at a younger market. The brilliance of the new control scheme is that anyone can pick it up and play because of its intuitive nature. I have read multiple articles about people taking their Wii to family gatherings over Thanksgiving and parents and grandparents alike were playing and enjoying it with the younger generation. Nintendo has potentially the widest market of consumers, which means more sales, and since Nintendo actually makes money on console sales they will be doing well.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

tF-voodoochild wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

The Wii will probably be a success, if only for the fact that it is by far the cheapest current-gen console, also it's aimed partly at a younger market - I can see a lot of parents buying them for their kids.
I disagree that the Wii is aimed at a younger market. The brilliance of the new control scheme is that anyone can pick it up and play because of its intuitive nature. I have read multiple articles about people taking their Wii to family gatherings over Thanksgiving and parents and grandparents alike were playing and enjoying it with the younger generation. Nintendo has potentially the widest market of consumers, which means more sales, and since Nintendo actually makes money on console sales they will be doing well.
I'm not trying to say it is aimed specifically at a younger market. I admit I didn't put my point across too well. I meant more that it will appeal more to a younger market than it's competitors and is the sort of thing parents are more likely to buy for younger children, because of the price and image of the console.

Although I still disagree with you 100% about the Neo-Geo being a failed console that died a quick painful death, because 15 years of games releases says otherwise.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6629|Mhz

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

I also think the increasing affordability of HDTVs is helping the console market even more. As much as I enjoy gaming on the PC, the idea of relaxing on a couch and playing a game on a HDTV is very tempting.
Plug ur PC into your HDTV, I will be

You're right about PC gaming dying out though, I mean look at right now, there are what, like 10 really popular games? Non of them are offline and all of them require a 1k+ rig to run on max quality.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

Personally I don't think I'll ever buy myself a consol, especially for FPS games. As I have said before I cannot aim with those shitty little joysticks. Still, the gaming market is concentrating on consols, probably because of image - what the consol gamer has over the PC gamer is down to the stereotypes. Here's a character from my shitty-as-Hell Internet providers current campaign where they have characters to show the important sides of high-speed, (bullshit in this certain provider's case,) Internet. One is "BattleMonkey" the "Pizza-fueled Gaming Guru." He is fat, unshaven, terrible ponytail, siting in the dark munching pizza playing computer games. This is what is used to ENTICE people to join Xtra, (which I wish I never did.)

I also should note that BattleMonkey's current favorites on the Xtra, (fuck you fuck you fuck you,) website's games page are all X-Box games.

Anyway, this stereotype is different from the Consol advertising stereotypes who are all just average joes. The consol ads are smart enough not to insult their potential customers too. The image given is more attractive, so game developers concentrate their efforts on the attractive market.

In my opinion consols should stick to what they do best - side-scrolling action games - and let the PC take the FPS, RTS and even MMO games. Since this is never going to happen, I would like to suggest that when an awesome zombie-mashing game is released on certain consol, can they PLEASE be released for the PC too? It doesn't mean that much effort for the developers and I wanna mash Zombies too!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

liquidat0r wrote:

Consoles are becoming more and more popular thanks to multiplayer, (internet), capability.
It has more to do with the ease of Tray and Play. No installation of games. Not to mention issues are not as common due to the fact everyone has the exact same specs (same machine).

BTW I have been a PC gamer subscriber for sometime as well. Top 10 games of 2007 this month.

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-12-10 14:58:22)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6857|San Francisco

Bertster7 wrote:

Although I still disagree with you 100% about the Neo-Geo being a failed console that died a quick painful death, because 15 years of games releases says otherwise.
Fair enough, my generalization does not suit the Neo-Geo as well as the 3DO, but it was a niche console from the get go solely because of it's incredible cost. The fact is SNK went down the tube because they failed to produce an affordable home entertainment product that appealed to the masses. Even if games were released after SNK filed for bankruptcy, only serious collectors were interested in 16-bit graphics based games with high price tags.

If it will make you happy I will restate my previous post, "Neo-Geo died a slow painful death."
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6496|Melbourne

No i dont, we are continually getting new titles, and i also think as long a WoW is poplar, Pc gaming will be round.  I also see the same thing happen every time  a new console is released, it happened when the PS2 came out it happened when the XBOX came out...
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6538|Global Command
I going to buy a console, so my kids will leave me to my PC games.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6629|Mhz

ATG wrote:

Dont get a Wii, great fun yes, but your house will be destroyed within 6 hours.
Netsfear
+5|6450
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr hold on to the remote...
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6857|San Francisco

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

ATG wrote:

Dont get a Wii, great fun yes, but your house will be destroyed within 6 hours.
Apparently if you wait a few more months (like you have a choice with the limited availability...) you will end up getting the new thicker straps on your wii-motes. Of course not throwing your controller into your television is a good choice as well.
Tjasso
the "Commander"
+102|6532|the Netherlands
i started with red alert , delta force doom etc ..
ive always enjoyed it , seeing what you /we need to keep continueing PC gaming has become worse ... started with the DVD so we bought a DVD player for our metal buddies ... videocards etc we did it we bought it !
What do we see ... PC games get on Xbox or PS2 first and we wait ...we wait ..we wait only to find out we have to BOOSt our PC wich cost us SO F****** MUCH !! we have to play our fav games in the lowest settings so we can EVENTUALLY play only to be PWNED by MOMMIES LITTLE RICH BRATTS ..who got SUPERpc from DADDY ...
We are in the SH!TS ! PC gaming is not dying i think ...only our WALLETS

Whats your opininion ...NEXT !!!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6775|UK

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Here's my take on the 3 consoles:

Personally, I think Microsoft is the only company that got it right this generation. The Xbox 360 is moderately priced, uses a centralized online gaming plan, already has an impressive library of great games, and boasts the best graphics for a console game to date.

I do not agree with Sony's approach to the Playstation 3. It way too expensive for a console and supports a losing format. Currently, there are no games that justify its price or show off its power. At best, I can only see PS3 games looking marginally better than Xbox 360 games. But even then, I think those games are a long way off and will be few in number.

The Nintendo Wii is a toss-up for me. I like Nintendo's innovative approach, but the console lacks the strong 3rd party support that the 360 has. The third party support it does have has not really effectively implemented the new controller yet. That means the best titles, of course, will be Nintendo games. However, titles such as Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Galaxy are still a long way off. Of the currently released games, the only worthwhile purchase is Zelda (which happens to be a Gamecube game). My only major beef with the Wii is that it's 5-year-old technology. Brand new games, and even games in development, already look dated.
Thats another debate entirely

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=56441

As we can see from that gamespot report, PS3 graphics already match xbox 360 graphics and they haven't even started to get the full programming potential from the core.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6775|UK
Just to say... any online list of top 10 games without Final Fantasy 12 can instantly be discredited as a bunch of bull crap.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Vilham wrote:

As we can see from that gamespot report, PS3 graphics already match xbox 360 graphics and they haven't even started to get the full programming potential from the core.
Really thats what you gathered? because this is what they said..lol

GameSpot wrote:

The Xbox 360 had better graphics in almost all the games we examined. The 360's biggest victories were in Madden 07 and Fight Night Round 3, where the differences in texture detail and lighting stood out in our comparison shots. We couldn't capture this in the screenshots, but the Xbox 360 games generally offered better framerates too.
But they also said the true test will be in the next year.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6775|UK

Kmarion wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Really thats what you gathered? because this is what they said..lol

GameSpot wrote:

The Xbox 360 had better graphics in almost all the games we examined. The 360's biggest victories were in Madden 07 and Fight Night Round 3, where the differences in texture detail and lighting stood out in our comparison shots. We couldn't capture this in the screenshots, but the Xbox 360 games generally offered better framerates too.
But they also said the true test will be in the next year.
I don't actually read any of the writing. I viewed all the pictures for myself, and tbh they PS3 looked slightly better because of realistic contrast and brightness. They however were nearly IDENTICAL in terms of detail.

And as it says... "the true test will be in the next year".

Anyway thats for discussion in the other thread. This is about PC's. Sorry if i derailed a bit.

Last edited by Vilham (2006-12-10 17:32:58)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Vilham wrote:

I don't actually read any of the writing.
lol

Vilham wrote:

And as it says... "the true test will be in the next year".
Agreed,

back to PC..
All one needs to do is pay attention to the tech industry and the amount of resources being devoted into PC gaming to understand it will not be dieing any time soon.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6796|Barrie Ontario
Yep, B4 when you came on to play for an hour you met new people having a good time not worrying about shit. now,noob this noob that,hack this hack that,im better then you,im in cal. Its not dying but its getting gayer by the year.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

ShellShock.PwN wrote:

Yep, B4 when you came on to play for an hour you met new people having a good time not worrying about shit. now,noob this noob that,hack this hack that,im better then you,im in cal. Its not dying but its getting gayer by the year.
You need to find better servers with good admins .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6703|Vancouver BC Canada
I think this is probably true, but what do you expect with the release of 3 new consoles?

The PC is the ultimate in universality, I can play a game of any genre with it. Plus I can use the Internet on my PC, which my Xbox can't do.

I think the real problem is the game developers, they tend to release the game too early, relying on patches to keep ahold of their audience, for once I would like to see a game that was glitch free (mostly) and had a decent balance to it. With all the console games what you see is what you get, no changes to them. They are ready for release when they are shipped.

If anything the Xbox series will replace the PC if it ever happens, they are moderately priced, offer great games, awesome graphics without having to buy $2000+ in hardware, and XBox Live is possibly the greatest thing to ever have happened to console gaming.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477
Another thing is console developers avoid trying new things, almost all console games are sequels, spin-offs, remakes or clones. In that field the consoles are way worse than the PC.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard