ghettoperson
+1,943|6666

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

jarhedch wrote:

wow, another uninformed anti religion thread made by people who love to hear themselves speak. how original, especially for this site.  this site's headed wayyy down the tubes
Please by all means inform us.
TEH INTERNETS T000BES!!!!!1111eleven
silentsin
+3|6714

CameronPoe wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

If we're truly the masters of our own destiny, why haven't we grasped the details of our universe by now?  Because we have finite minds.  We can't possibly fully understand the complete depth of our universe.  All we have are scientific theories that are a feeble attempt to explain things in terms we can wrap our minds around.
I can't belive I missed this post.

'Feeble' attempt: you're advocating an 'attempt to explain things' that is based upon men walking on water, parting seas, magically mutiplying loaves and fish and building a big fuckoff boat to house two of every animal (I wonder how many penguins there were in the middle east back then).

PS Tell Noah he forgot to pack the dinosaurs.
wow, FUCKING PWNT!

QQ religious people.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6759|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
Blessed are the cheese makers!!!

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660
why do people become religious?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6542|South Florida

sergeriver wrote:

Today almost 1,2 billion persons are atheists or agnostics. 
Why do you think people stopped believing?
Does science prove everything to such a point that people can't believe in God anymore?
Is Organized Religion making people lose faith in God?
Those who choose to believe, do they actually believe, or do they fear to be alone?
because its absolutly fucking rediculous to comprehend that theres a mystical being that owns you. Considering theres nothing else like it in the world, i changed.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

I believe spirituality and faith extend beyond pre-determined rules and set in stone ideas.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6679|USA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Inherited from parents or can't cope with self-dependancy.

^
opinion
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6556|The Lost Highway

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

Here's a fun fact: If you are religious you have to believe that all other religions and theories are wrong, or you wouldn't be religious.

Or am I too tired to think rational right now?
I was born Christian, a Baptist at that.. and I don't necessarily believe all other religions and theories are wrong. I'm a Christian Buddhist in certain ways, if that makes any sense.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

For the sake of argument, if one were to base their opinion on 'The Da Vinci Code', it would only serve to 'disprove' accepted religious form, but not God.
True. Dogma can be scary, people need to try to form some of their own opinions, rather then blindly accepting others. (That goes for religous folks, and athiests alike.)

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Adam and Eve are the real thing too? So we're all West Virginian?
This dude says the Church he went to said the 'N' word, which I find highly doubtful, unless he went to one of those Aryan churches... Then he says 'So we're all West Virginian' implying that the nice people from WV are inbred... What a fucking hypocrite.
To be more detailed. In both churches, the sermon was "anything that keeps you from church is your god."

The preacher took things from the audience.

One lady said "BINGO!"

Priest says,"Money is your god"

Another guy say the "NBA Finals".

Priest says,"Ahhhh the N***** Ball Association"

Everyone laughs.

Except me and my brother. And there were black people in the church too.

I know what I believe and I choose to believe in myself. THe Adam and Eve comment was sarcastic.

At age 25 I am succesful in job, family, and finances to my satisfaction. And god had no part in any of it.

As I stated before, if the gates of hell are waiting for me, check me off the list cause Im coming in.
Then by all means, the 'NBA' comment could also be dismissed as sarcastic.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6679|USA

mKmalfunction wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

mKmalfunction wrote:

PBAsydney wrote:

Here's a fun fact: If you are religious you have to believe that all other religions and theories are wrong, or you wouldn't be religious.

Or am I too tired to think rational right now?
I was born Christian, a Baptist at that.. and I don't necessarily believe all other religions and theories are wrong. I'm a Christian Buddhist in certain ways, if that makes any sense.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

For the sake of argument, if one were to base their opinion on 'The Da Vinci Code', it would only serve to 'disprove' accepted religious form, but not God.
True. Dogma can be scary, people need to try to form some of their own opinions, rather then blindly accepting others. (That goes for religous folks, and athiests alike.)

This dude says the Church he went to said the 'N' word, which I find highly doubtful, unless he went to one of those Aryan churches... Then he says 'So we're all West Virginian' implying that the nice people from WV are inbred... What a fucking hypocrite.
To be more detailed. In both churches, the sermon was "anything that keeps you from church is your god."

The preacher took things from the audience.

One lady said "BINGO!"

Priest says,"Money is your god"

Another guy say the "NBA Finals".

Priest says,"Ahhhh the N***** Ball Association"

Everyone laughs.

Except me and my brother. And there were black people in the church too.

I know what I believe and I choose to believe in myself. THe Adam and Eve comment was sarcastic.

At age 25 I am succesful in job, family, and finances to my satisfaction. And god had no part in any of it.

As I stated before, if the gates of hell are waiting for me, check me off the list cause Im coming in.
Then by all means, the 'NBA' comment could also be dismissed as sarcastic.
Negative. It wasn't acceptable for church in my opinion and thats a reason I don't go.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6554|Long Island, New York

Stingray24 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

If we're truly the masters of our own destiny, why haven't we grasped the details of our universe by now?  Because we have finite minds.  We can't possibly fully understand the complete depth of our universe.  All we have are scientific theories that are a feeble attempt to explain things in terms we can wrap our minds around.
The Earth is 4,5 billion years old and we've been here for less than 100k.  How do you expect Humans to know everything in 6000 years of science?  Anyway, we know enough about science, but we know nothing about God.
God sent His Son to tell us about Him, yet we humans still refuse to acknowledge His existence and demand more proof.  Fascinating.
EDIT: How do we truly know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that's simply a guess.  Science cannot prove that conclusively.
So if I send a hobo to you and make him say I'm buddha, will you believe me?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS

stef10 wrote:

But still our knowledge about the universe is still very little.
That's very true.

But remember that (it is predicted) in 50 years' time (2056), 90% of what we know will be learned in those 50 years (2006 - 2056)

God sent His Son to tell us about Him, yet we humans still refuse to acknowledge His existence and demand more proof.  Fascinating.
EDIT: How do we truly know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that's simply a guess.  Science cannot prove that conclusively.
NO. Do I have to post it again?

My belief is that our lives are dependent first and foremost on ourselves - and certainly not on a higher power (if he exists - and I believe that in some sense).

I also believe that if a higher power existed, he would've/has made a universe that was logical, ordered and obeyed a set of specific rules. In short, I believe that God invented Science, if you will - though there are problems with that statement.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6701|United States of America
This forum is the damndest thing when it comes to religion and the like. Seeemingly, there are more people who believe in <2 conspiracies than in some so-called "organized" religion.
Mogura
+17|6379|EUROPE

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

they are retard
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6554|Long Island, New York

Mogura wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

they are retard
"They are retard"

EPIC.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

Last edited by Kmarion (2006-12-07 13:45:26)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mogura
+17|6379|EUROPE

Poseidon wrote:

Mogura wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

they are retard
"They are retard"

EPIC.
yeah ?  :p
jarhedch
+12|6686|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

jarhedch wrote:

wow, another uninformed anti religion thread made by people who love to hear themselves speak. how original, especially for this site.  this site's headed wayyy down the tubes
Please by all means inform us.
no.
l41e
+677|6665

I'm just going to put it this way.

There are many religions.
All of them contradict each other in some way, otherwise there wouldn't be different religions in the first place.
All of them proclaim themselves to be right and everything else wrong.

Therefore what is wrong is right, what is wrong is wrong, what is right is wrong, and what is right is right.

And please, don't give me of this "my religion > your religion" shit. It's not. And I'm not sorry if I offended you and whatever you believe in.

Die = become dinner for a worm.

(By the way. If science is a "feeble attempt" at explaining the universe, what's religion? More of a "feeble attempt", that's what.)
Mogura
+17|6379|EUROPE

k30dxedle wrote:

I'm just going to put it this way.

There are many religions.
All of them contradict each other in some way, otherwise there wouldn't be different religions in the first place.
All of them proclaim themselves to be right and everything else wrong.

Therefore what is wrong is right, what is wrong is wrong, what is right is wrong, and what is right is right.

And please, don't give me of this "my religion > your religion" shit. It's not. And I'm not sorry if I offended you and whatever you believe in.

Die = become dinner for a worm.

(By the way. If science is a "feeble attempt" at explaining the universe, what's religion? More of a "feeble attempt", that's what.)
i like it.  +1 karma for you  ;-)
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS

CameronPoe wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

I can't belive I missed this post.

'Feeble' attempt: you're advocating an 'attempt to explain things' that is based upon men walking on water, parting seas, magically mutiplying loaves and fish and building a big fuckoff boat to house two of every animal (I wonder how many penguins there were in the middle east back then).

PS Tell Noah he forgot to pack the dinosaurs.
Cpoe most of those can be explained logically. The loaves for example:

Jesus gives out one loaf of bread.

Other guy sees and thinks "I'd better give one too"

Other guys do the same.

And presto! everyone's full.

jarhedch wrote:

no.
Then fuck off. If you can't take the heat, then why the fuck did you enter the kitchen in the first place?

The reason so many people are Atheist is because they want to live their lives with no moral restrictions... they want to do anything they want any time they want without a religion to put limits on them... they want to escape their conscience..
[rantmode]That is a complete load of BULLSHIT. That is as bad as saying 'religion is a crutch for the weak'.

WHO SAID WE HAVE TO LIVE SOMEONE ELSE'S MORALS? WHO SAID THAT WE WEREN'T ALLOWED THAT WE COULD DEFINE OUR MORALS FOR THEMSELVES? WHY DO WE NEED A GOD? ARE WE SO SIMPLISTIC, SO STUPID THAT WE CAN'T FUNCTION WITHOUT A "HIGHER POWER" TELLING US - no, ORDERING US WHAT TO DO? WHY SHOULD WE LISTEN TO ANY SINGLE ENTITY, PERSON OR ANYTHING TELLING US WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT IS NOT?
[/rantmode]

I dearly hope that no-one comes in here sprouting shit like that again.

Last edited by Spark (2006-12-07 14:02:38)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6701|United States of America
Mr. Moderator of this Discussion- I propose a bill to decrease the stupidity contained within this topic.

Stop insulting the opposite side, that sort of business is left for the Junk Drawer (hence, junk)

No consensus is necessary. Cannot you have two sides with opposing opinions that are coexisting?

Rampant cursing is unnecessary since it does not contribute at all and makes the poster look about 12 years old.

I haven't completely read all of this yet but I've yet to see a high quality, serious answer to the title question. The squabbling has become a "You're wrong" "No, you're wrong" sort of bickering.

Last edited by DesertFox423 (2006-12-07 14:20:26)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

I dearly hope that no-one comes in here sprouting shit like that again.
Not likely.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6642|Sea to globally-cooled sea
^^^ really mature. 

in my opinion, people become atheists because they are lazy.  it's harder to believe in God because with that territory comes the mandate to make the harder decision...to live not to do what feels good but what actually IS good.

it's hard to do that!  and sometimes it can be crappy.  I can understand why atheists are atheists.  From their perspective, to live "religiously" will take the fun out of life.

I'm going to think more about this and post more later of something comes to me.

Last edited by G3|Genius (2006-12-07 14:29:45)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6662

Masques wrote:

I blame Communism.
Yeah I agree, and also I blame freemasons.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6572
If you want to know why exactly I became an atheist then it's like this:

- Very religious until about the age of 14.
- Started maturing, read about science, powers of critical appraisal increased, questioned anything and everything, began to realise that much of the bible was fanciful illogical nonsense.
- I read 'A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man' by James Joyce.
- Came to the conclusion that there was no higher purpose to life and that when we die we become wormfood because there is no reason to logically believe otherwise.
- Logic ruled me from then on out, with my moral code taken from the decent parts of the Christian religion (with no dogma attached).

Put simply it was like this: religious dogma is illogical and there is no logical reason why a higher being should exist so I stopped deluding myself. I had no choice in the matter really - it was tough and it took fortitude of character to ditch religion but deep down I knew it was hogwash and had to give it up.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-12-07 14:36:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard