LockerFish
+47|6714
This could take a long time to explain and I really have NO idea what I'm talking about, that's why I'm asking this. So any help and patience would be appreciated. Keep in mind I'm only 17 so have limited experience but I'm more than willing to learn and take sound proven advice. Without further ado, my plight.

As I mentioned above, I am 17, and still in high school. I'm an above average student, and I have a strong interest in computers/networking/technology. Unfortunately, I'm on the "college bound" course in my school that includes all the AP/Honors classes which renders me almost unable to attend the local Skills Center which is a sort of technology certification and practical skills teaching establishment. In other words, 3 or 4 of the local schools send their students there to take classes in such things as welding, nursing, culinary arts, computers, arts, etc. As long as I attend high school it's free, but since I'm in my junior year I missed the chance to take the  hardware technician class which includes A+ certification at the end if you choose to take the test. Next year I'm going to try to enroll into their Network Administrators course that'll certify me in XP Professional and Server 2003. To do this the pre requisites say that I should have a "strong knowledge base in computer harware and basic OS knowledge".

I was wondering if anyone knows what is included in the A+ certification and if I might be able to review the study guides online that I've found (I'll put a link at the bottom) and then just take the test somewhere, or if you've taken a class like the XP Pro/Server 2003 one if you think I can get by with just reviewing things online/taking in as much information as possible in my travels.

This class is really important to me because where I'm from a lot of places are hiring Network Admins right out of high school with the proper courses, and this would pretty much guarantee me a job while I go to college.

This is the short version
If you know anything about the A+ certification or can help me learn how to pass the test, PM me or message me on xfire at rumblefishisonfire.

My study guide so far...
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6447|King Of The Islands

I'll have to drag my CompTIA books out to give you more detail, but its basic Hardware installation and terminology, touches on some binary, and also helps you navigate around Windows (explains what the Start is for, OMG!)
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6586|Florida
There are 2 sides of the A+ test, Software and Hardware.  Software is obviously troubleshooting operating systems issues and things needing to be done in the operating system, and Hardware is self explanatory.
Cheez

What exactly do you want to know? I had to generalise (a little too much) because I'm not sure what exactly to elaborate on or focus on.
LockerFish
+47|6714
Um, is it difficult? Is it real technical? Is there a standard course I have to take or can I do online studying/get help from people (like you) and then just go take the test and be A+ certified for the rest of my life?
Cheez

Have you built your own computer before? Because that's a real help with Hardware. Or at least you know what CPU, ATA, PCI, AGP, NIC are?

For Software, again. Have you ever reinstalled Windows? How long have you been using Windows because this stuff is pretty basic. Mainly troubleshooting. i.e.: looking in the right places (device manager, event viewer, etc).
LockerFish
+47|6714
Haven't built a computer from scratch, no, but I know my way around the inside fairly well. I've installed graphics cards and and CD-RW drive in my OLD computer. I know what a hard drive/processor/graphics card is/does. I took a practice test and there was a lot of questions about CAT3 cables and 10Base2/other things like that.

I've been using XP since... 3 years ago? I know how to defrag the harddrive and stuff like that which seemed like a couple of the big points in the study guide/practice test...

I guess I'm looking for personal experience, how much you think I need to study and if I should take a class for it or if I'll be good just using the online study stuff and then going in for the test. It costs like $65 or something right? I don't want to have to retake it...
Cheez

Yes there's a bit on cabling. Most things you would need to know is use, max. length of cabling (eg. Cat5 is 333ft) and max bandwidth.
You would also need to know the terms, 10Base-T. 100Base-TX. 10Base-2.

My course supplied books so I'm not sure where online you'd get this info. I'm skimming Wikipedia, there's not much info but its a start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10base2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_3_cable

The Category pages have a nice blurb on each of the Cats.

Building your own machine to that extent you'll be fine. You may need to read up on some more technical components like Northbridge, Southbridge, etc. but you should do well there. Software sounds good too if you've ever had something not work, and resolved it.

Did your practice test include binary? The exam is randomised so it includes all these subjects, but you particularly won't get those questions.
LockerFish
+47|6714
Alright thanks a lot. Anyone else is still free to contribute, it'll all help.
DeCon_1
+16|6529|Atlanta, Georga U.S.A.
Do you know where your nearest certified testing center is? Because mine was all the way in downtown Atlanta and was a pain in the ass to find.
LockerFish
+47|6714
Nope, that's problem number 2.
montypythizzle
+21|6611
rofl zomg you put the lime in the coke you nut same with gpus and cdbs rofl i ca rhyme with these acronyms

anyways i used to think that A+ was hard rofell

btw cat3 and 10base2 are old as hell and well guess what run at 10mbps heh

Last edited by montypythizzle (2006-12-06 14:29:44)

Cheez

That's true. In fact any IT noobs wouldn't even know what token ring is. But its covered in the course, as well as modern stuff (like 802.11 (Oh! read up on your 802.## LockerFish))
montypythizzle
+21|6611

Cheez wrote:

That's true. In fact any IT noobs wouldn't even know what token ring is. But its covered in the course, as well as modern stuff (like 802.11 (Oh! read up on your 802.## LockerFish))
zomg my 802.3 is fuxored zomg like wholes in my efernets
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6768|San Antonio, Texas
I pretty much in the same boat as you but I DID take Computer Maintenance I my junior year, and I'm taking Comp Maint II now in my senior year. As stated before, the A+ test is split up into a software test and a hardware test. The hardware test you should be able to pass if you ever built your own computer. You have to know what everything does, have to know all the connections (old and new), and most of the old technology (CPUs mostly). I believe it also covers printers. The software test covers basic features of different windows, some binary, ports (like COM ports), and stuff like that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard