Poll

Do you think submerging a P.C. in Vegetable oil would keep it cooler?

Yes42%42% - 24
No15%15% - 9
Why even attempt it.42%42% - 24
Total: 57
DeCon_1
+16|6529|Atlanta, Georga U.S.A.
Well a few days ago, I found out that a friend of mine in school was going to attempt to recreate the vegetable oil P.C. that some guy built and showed online. Just before we all left for the weekend, he brought in 4 and a half gallons of vegetable oil so he could begin on Monday. I would just like to know in the opinion of the community, do you think it would work?
bobby177
+129|6482|Texas.. getting out asap
Wow I want to hear what happens
=W=GeneralSherman
Banned
+83|6565
i voted no but i change it to yes....lubrication = less friction = less heat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724
It would take a shitload of time to upgrade though.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
DeCon_1

Kmarion wrote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/
Yes, that was the experiment that he is trying to recreate.
PogoTheMonkey
+7|6758|MmM Location
Sounds cool, unless ya had to swap out some hardware. Would geta little messy
DeCon_1
Well what he intends to do is mount the motherboard with all the components in a fish tank, have the hard drive sitting on the rim of the tank, and heres the kicker; he intends to put the PSU in the TANK!!!!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

DeCon_1 wrote:

Well what he intends to do is mount the motherboard with all the components in a fish tank, have the hard drive sitting on the rim of the tank, and heres the kicker; he intends to put the PSU in the TANK!!!!
I'm think sparks are gonna fly.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6404|Indianapolis, IN
Yep it works, I just wouldn't do this because of component failure, It'd suck to change a part if it were to die, eh?
T4rd
+44|6684|West Point, NY
Yeah, it'l definitely work.  I was the one who originally posted that artical.  The only problem with this is that it is still limeted to being as cool as room temperature.  So it's not going to really be that much better than air/passive water cooling.
CrazeD
+368|6681|Maine
The whole point of it is to silence components, but all the noisy components can't go into the oil...so what's the point?!
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6653

Kmarion wrote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/
yeha I read that long ago I was gonna post the link but Kmarion beat me to it
swedge
+23|6467|haggis hill
plus the oil is gonna be still, there will be no movement in the tank at all so the heat will be more higher around the components than say the edge of the tank
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6730|Oregon

swedge wrote:

plus the oil is gonna be still, there will be no movement in the tank at all so the heat will be more higher around the components than say the edge of the tank
not quite. remember the saying "hot air rises"? its true. and its the same with liquids as well.

heat=faster molecules=more distance between molecules=less dense substance, which causes the oil to be in motion.

so it should stay relatively uniform in heat distribution.

i give your friends experiment a 35% chance of working.

Last edited by [TUF]Whiskey_Oktober (2006-12-03 03:59:43)

<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6710|New York
If you dissable the fans on the PSu and Only submerge the Mobo with out any fans on it, it will work fine. There are better Oils out there to do this and keep the board running 24/7 without any failure, But the names escape me right now. I did this same thing with a Dell i was going to get rid of. Board, Passive PSU, memory and a passive vid card. They all worked fine. Used the computer for 24/7 folding. A better way to do this is to use one of those doem fridges, Cut your cable holes through the door and seal with silicone. It workes quite well. The heat generated by the components will keep the oil fluid enough to keep its threman properties while in the chiller.
DecJW
Webhoster
+38|6592
It should work
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6452|California
so what happens after the case breaks and u get oil all over ur room
liquix
+51|6462|Peoples Republic of Portland
Yes, but there is no reason or benefit to the whole thing.
t2krambo
Banned
+99|6535|Panama
Sounds nice, but it needs to work then!
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6640|Finland

Overclock it to the max and deep fry some s**t!

Mmm.. the nerds dream.. Integrated OC:d PC and french fry maker!
I need around tree fiddy.
theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6620|balls
why not just buy a zalman for cpu and vga?  some people are just tards.
MECtallica
+73|6512|jalalabad
lol yea.... buy better coolers...

GG on the oil PC when its 2020 and DX12 is out and hes still using DX9 because he cant move his 70 pound oil box with DX9.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober wrote:

i give your friends experiment a 35% chance of working.
It's been done before successfully, so I'll give it a better chance. But I voted 'why even bother.'
majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6671|under there hayousaidunderwear
Is this just some random computer or will he use this as his main computer?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard