Techworld
Banned
+17|6373
RANT:@

I hate UK internet, most have a download cap for the month ( i dont but i cant really download that much due to throttling)
GEt this....

I pay for unlimited broadand that includes:

A peak time fair use policy inforce from 6pm - 11pm - this slows all p2p down, causes havoc with pings
a port throttle inforce 8am - 1 am - 5kb/s p2p until 1 am

I mean , what the hell is the uk's problem? we are one of most developed countries and yet we have this garbage connections. We're at average 8mb. Our connections are bleeding useless for anything.

PLease tell me how the internet connections are in your country for comparison purposes.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6517|Doncaster, UK
Well I use AOL UK as my ISP and despite all the shit people sling about AOL being the spawn of the devil and crap I'm on 8Mb broadband with no caps, no hassle, and pretty good customer service and support when something goes wrong.

It's a bit expensive at £30 a month, but I know that whenever I want to go online and do whatever I want I know I'm not gonna be throttled into oblivion.
Tro0per
Take off, hosers
+24|6386|Ontario, Canada
Wow, and I thought my cable internet was crappy.
zero_x830
+5|6395|Netherlands
i got 20Mbit connection, thats 4MB/s and it costs my parents 12.50 euro a month. I live in one of the smallest commune, but we are the first of the Netherlands to have glass tissue wiring. I mostly have pings of between 2 and 20 now, first i had (a)dsl, don't know what speed but then i had pings of 100-200.
Ye mine can also rise to 50-80 ( somtimes 100+ but then most people have 200+ ) in the peak times.

O ye, i use a router

Last edited by zero_x830 (2006-12-08 08:27:00)

XX-ifrit-XX
+3|6337|Somerset, England
Im in the UK with Pipex 1MB for £18 p/m so dont complain about 8MB. The only good things about my connection is that im unlimited without any form of throttling. Torrents only download at about 30kb all day tho. Im not to bothered about the UK download rate i just which that ISP caught up with the puplic need for large upload rates. If im paying for 1MB i want at least 512k of upload.

good point zero_x830, my ping averages about 30 on a gd day but can go up to 100 at peak times.

Last edited by XX-ifrit-XX (2006-11-28 05:51:28)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6517|Doncaster, UK
I'm not complaining about 8 meg broadband, I love it. I was just saying that all you ever hear about AOL is people saying they're crap, but I've got no complaints whatsoever.

I usually get pings of 20-40 on most EU servers.

My advice to the OP would be to switch provider because the one you are with right now sucks.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6532|Cheshire, UK
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

24mb broadband for £24 a month coming to you NOW

Personnally I use http://www.plus.net I've never had any problems with there 8mb service, and I'm currently syncing at 7500kbs... Peaktime (4pm-midnight) monthly cap of 20gb, out of hours is completely unlimited costs me about £21 a month, plus if you refer people to them then you get loads of money off you bill, I'm saving £2 a month so far from people I have refered.

Biggest thing to check when getting new broadband is what type of supply they are gonna give you ADSL or ADSL2. Fastest speed available on ADSL is the 8mb MAX product where as ADSL2 can offer much faster speeds 24MB and up... If you getting new internet I would advise making sure you can get ADSL2 for future compliance.

Last edited by SkoobyDu (2006-11-28 06:03:31)

Rosse_modest
+76|6746|Antwerp, Flanders
Depends on your internet provider...

There's basically two major players here: Telenet (cable) and Belgacom (ADSL). There are some other minor ADSL companies out there but I've heard some bad stuff about them from people I know. I myself am a Telenet customer, where I have the cheapest broadband subscription. The standard download cap is 10 GB, standard upload cap is 2 GB. You can increase this cap however in small increments to your liking up to maxes of 30 GB and 6 GB, mine are currently 12 GB and 2,4 GB respectively. Max download speed is 10 MB/s. Forgot what the upload speed was... The more expensive subscription offers 20 MB/s download speed and a standard download/upload volume of 30/5 GB.

I myself have never reached my download/upload limits, never even got the warning when you've reached 80% of your capacity. Some people I know have complained cause they occasionally get busted down to smallband because they've exceeded their volume but when I ask them what the hell they're downloading to get there they always say "downloading movies and programs". So in my eyes they have no right to complain, since they got to the cap by breaking the law.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6552|SE London

SkoobyDu wrote:

That's what I use. I've been very pleased with the connection speeds. I don't get an effective 24Mb, because I don't live next door to my telephone exchange. I do get a little over 20Mbps though and that's good enough for me. No port throttling for peer 2 peer stuff either, I have torrents running practically 24/7.

People need to stop complaining about crap ISPs and go out there and find the good ones. Don't put up with crap internet, get something good instead.

(oh, shouldn't this really be in tech?)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-11-28 06:18:45)

^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6709|The Hague, Netherlands

moved to Tech
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6626|Cambridge, England
NTL

Fairly expensive, Fast downloads and no limits 10mb 34.99
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6562|Scarborough Yorkshire England

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

I'm not complaining about 8 meg broadband, I love it. I was just saying that all you ever hear about AOL is people saying they're crap, but I've got no complaints whatsoever.

My advice to the OP would be to switch provider because the one you are with right now sucks.
Yeah everyone slates AOL but they seem to be the best, especially if you go for the £30 platinum Package, No hassles low ping.
I think everyones complaint about AOL is that the software does like to get into all of your pc and is a pain in the butt to remove if you change IPers
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6532|Cheshire, UK

Jinto-sk wrote:

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Yeah everyone slates AOL but they seem to be the best, especially if you go for the £30 platinum Package, No hassles low ping.
I think everyones complaint about AOL is that the software does like to get into all of your pc and is a pain in the butt to remove if you change IPers
AOL with devour your soul and anally rape your PC so much that if you ever try to remove it, the only way to get your PC back up and running will be with a full format and rebuild...

joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6569|Cheshire. UK

Bertster7 wrote:

SkoobyDu wrote:

That's what I use. I've been very pleased with the connection speeds. I don't get an effective 24Mb, because I don't live next door to my telephone exchange. I do get a little over 20Mbps though and that's good enough for me. No port throttling for peer 2 peer stuff either, I have torrents running practically 24/7.

People need to stop complaining about crap ISPs and go out there and find the good ones. Don't put up with crap internet, get something good instead.

(oh, shouldn't this really be in tech?)
The Problems are that ISP's want to make money first ( only right) so they will make their stuff available to large populations first ...thats major cities

The rest of us have to wait..... 

Be will be (no pun intended ) here in march...cant wait!!

I must admit though I can understand why no one has cottoned on to Fibre Optics yet ....  If you set up a City with the stuff and showcased it...the demand would outstrip supply !!!  look at Japan 100mbs
malarkeycoon
+16|6611|Cardiff
I'm on NTL 10Mbs for £20 per month. It is an outstanding connection. It never goes down, it is never contended. I don't play on servers over a 40 ping and I have a done of servers to choose. I can download torrents at well over 500kb/s. I even got over 1Mb/s on some of the popular downloads. I have no complaints at all. What I find more annoying is the exceedingly few places you can actually utilise all that bandwidth. So few sites allow you to download at that speed. If I went up to 20Mbs I will still be in the same position.
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6548|Florida

zero_x830 wrote:

i got 20Mbit connection, thats 4MB/s and it costs my parents 12.50 euro a month. I live in one of the smallest commune, but we are the first of the Netherlands to have glass tissue wiring. I mostly have pings of between 2 and 20 now, first i had (a)dsl, don't know what speed but then i had pings of 100-200.

O ye, i use a router
Glass tissue?  Im guessing your referring to Fiber Optic lines?
Techworld
Banned
+17|6373

XX-ifrit-XX wrote:

Im in the UK with Pipex 1MB for £18 p/m so dont complain about 8MB. The only good things about my connection is that im unlimited without any form of throttling. Torrents only download at about 30kb all day tho. Im not to bothered about the UK download rate i just which that ISP caught up with the puplic need for large upload rates. If im paying for 1MB i want at least 512k of upload.

good point zero_x830, my ping averages about 30 on a gd day but can go up to 100 at peak times.
The torrents is a thottle! Most isp's limite this to 30kb/s
Techworld
Banned
+17|6373
MY options are pretty limited, If i could get NTL, i would definetley be on there in a shot but no cable here. TIscali do however allow me to use 100gb a month, but i hate downloading over night and staying up unsociable hours to do so.
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6406|UK
22MB Broadband

16 Mb with Sky other 8 Mb with Talk Talk

1337 connection FTW!

and i download about well shit fast

quickest i ever had was 6mb a second

edit its also unlimited

Last edited by Zero!. (2006-11-28 13:25:53)

Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6521|Reading, Basingrad
I have NTL 10Mb.....always fast

There are a lot of people here getting confused with speed though......Mb and MB are not the same
swedge
+23|6429|haggis hill

DoctorFruitloop wrote:

Well I use AOL UK as my ISP and despite all the shit people sling about AOL being the spawn of the devil and crap I'm on 8Mb broadband with no caps, no hassle, and pretty good customer service and support when something goes wrong.

It's a bit expensive at £30 a month, but I know that whenever I want to go online and do whatever I want I know I'm not gonna be throttled into oblivion.
i use AOL aswell at 30 quid a month and ive got 8mb no download limits or throttling, i dont use thier software though as it hgs the sytem a bit
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6799|Grapevine, TX
One of the Newest Connection types in the US: Verizon FiOS. Fiber Optic is finally here. Used to have Verizon DSL= $35/mo for 1.5Mbs/750/kbs. Now its $39/mo for 15/Mbs/2Mbs... Last patch 1.41 535Mb downloaded in less than 15 minutes, I freaking love it. And the Server I admin on is near Dallas, TX (15 Miles) I ping between 7-9.
AchangelTyreal
360 owns my soul
+31|6479|Behind You
You guys wanna bitch about your shitty connections try this:

I'm currently paying for internet access at what is advertised to be 500 kbs with full p2p abilities!!!

That is what my dorm SAYS.  What it actually provides?  About 20 kbs (which fluxes between 50 and 5) with all the ports that games and p2p programs use being blocked.  Oh, not to mention that our twin buildings of around 300 students all share one 500 kbs connection.  300 PEOPLE SHARE ONE SLOW FUCKING CONNECTION.  OH and I think I should mention, a friend of mine had me up to his apt to watch some rugby and drink, apparently his roomie downloads him stuff all the time.  We peek in his room and ask him about how he downloads stuff?  Apparently he gets past the blocked ports and downloads through his browser port.  He then says that he is usually using about 400 kbs...WE ONLY HAVE 500 KBS GOD DAMNIT!  Hence, why sometimes my connection drops to 5 kbs, or at one time it was a connection of 1 kbs...
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6746|EUR
NTL World 4mb - No caps.

Sorted. Will be moving to 10mb in future.

Last edited by MuseSeeker (2006-12-01 06:13:16)

-=5TON3D
+42|6505|u.k
i like my net speed & isp,never had no probs.
im on telewest broadband 10mb for £35 a month,& get no cap limit bullshit here.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard